Needing to get a new Cell Phone...

JJnLilly

We recently went with the iPhone 4. DW wanted a simple to operate unit so I took her to the AT&T store to try some out. We were about to go with the 3G when our Grandson talked us into the 4 - glad he did. Easy to use and lots of features. Have to admit the touch screen takes some getting used to - especially for my fat fingers.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well now I am a new iPhone 4 owner. Got it in Flagstaff AZ yesterday. Now I need to know how to work it and what are all the good apps... I would like an app to tell me the price of Diesel in the area. I know about Gas Buddy and Diesel Buddy.

Do we have a forum on Phones? It would be great to learn about things we can use on the smart phones that will help us RV.

So what are you all using on your smart phone and where do you get them.

BC

pegmikef

Yeah, my LG5200 is getting long in the tooth and batteries are hard to come by, even on E-bay. But it still does what it's supposed to...make phone calls. I really don't want a toy to watch movies on or get a bunch of "apps." Don't need no texting, either.

Yep, my six-year old Verizon Samsung let's me make phone calls and rings when there is an incoming call . . . that's all I need.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Yep, my six-year old Verizon Samsung let's me make phone calls and rings when there is an incoming call . . . that's all I need.

Well Just run over your phone and try to replace it. They do have some straight phone but I guess I am just a bit of a techie.. I wanted the phone that is smarter than I am. I couldn't afford the new 4S. I am having fun learning what this new doodad can do.

BC

mmomega

AnyTimer
The 4S is "4G" speeds only on AT&T networks where available. They announced that when they showed the phone.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobcat! Have fun with that new phone. For applications, I like Google Sky, Event Crazy, IMDb, Redbox, Sanidumps Lite, Satellite AR and Zedge.
Rather than try to explain what they are, you can just go to the "Market" and put them in a search window and you will see an explanation of what the app does. Lots of fun ahead. Make sure your battery charger has easy access. Once you start playing, you'll be charging most every night.

By the way, were you able to keep your old cell number?

jgallego

RV apps for iphone that I have are: Trailer Life, RV Check, Passport America, Allstays Camp and RV, Woodalls, GS RV ERS.

Jaime

Rickhansen

I know about Gas Buddy and Diesel Buddy. So what are you all using on your smart phone and where do you get them. BC

I have an Android phone, but there are many apps that are cross ported for other platforms. Not necessarily RV related, but I like:

Funambol - to keep your email/phone contacts, calendar, and pictures synchronized with your PC.
Evernote - to keep notes of any kind organized and available from multiple devices and your PC.
Also, Onstar, Gasbuddy, Wifi analyser, Spirit Level, and Compass. All self explanatory...

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well even though I read this thread and even called some others I recently made the technological jump to text messaging and a couple of data services for Linda and I. For the longest time I was very adement that my kids would not have texting as to not tempt them to be one of those whose heads are constantly bent over and their thumbs going a thousand mile a minute trying to keep up with a "conversation". Well, they both know how I feel about it but I relented anyway and made the upgrade for the entire family. We are on ATT and we now have umlimited texting and bonus, unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of service provider. Linda and I are enjoying our new Motorola Atrix 2 smartphones running Android OS Gingerbread - the latest available at this time. Boy there sure are a lot of things to learn and get use to. I did look at the Iphone4 with Siri. What a really cool thing they have there but in the end I opted for the Motorola for many reasons. One being price, At the Best Buy store they were only $49.00 with a 2 year agreement and the kid's phones were free. These would have costs me $200.00 total for all of them at an ATT store. Go figure. The ATT stores told me they are not allowed to price match and understood if I bought them elsewhere.

Mark

jbeletti

Re: Needing to get a new Cell Phone... Update Got iPhone 4

Congrats Mark for stepping into the light.

Sending you a picture text message now :)