Never lube bearings

bdb2047

I am planning on having Mor ryde IS installed.Considering having bearings done also.Many conflicting issues on different fourms.Mor ryde says they are not a problem and a good upgrade problems in past have been solved.Any experience w/these.I am still able to repack my own so maintance is not a problem.But more time on road and age has me considering them.

jnbhobe

The last time I was at Mor-Ryde they had a whole pile of failed neverlubes laying in the trash bin. They have had problems due to how close the bearings are to each other.

TedS

My previous 5th wheel had Nev-R-Lube axles and I never had a problem. Was surprised when I learned after the fact that my upgrade to the Bighorn had lube-your-own axles. Seemed like a step backwards.

porthole

Retired
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...rRyde-IS-amp-disc-brakes?highlight=never+lube

Someplace on this forum I posted my thoughts on the never lubes (don't like them).
This is my crude graphic trying to explain the main difference between conventional and never lube bearings.

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19079&d=1262363891

donr827

My two previous fifth wheels had never lube bearings made by Dexter. Never had a problem with any of the bearings. Owned each trailer for four years +. I was disappointed that HL did not offer the bearings as a upgrade.
Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never had any personal experience with the never lube bearings, I have seen them on the scrap piles at MorRyde as others have. That's not to say that standard bearings are better, they need regular maintenance. If I were to do it all over again, I would insist MorRyde install US made bearings and races during the IS install. It might cost a little extra but for the peace of mind, it might be worth it.

MTPockets

I've never had any personal experience with the never lube bearings, I have seen them on the scrap piles at MorRyde as others have. That's not to say that standard bearings are better, they need regular maintenance. If I were to do it all over again, I would insist MorRyde install US made bearings and races during the IS install. It might cost a little extra but for the peace of mind, it might be worth it.

"Most" bearings are manufactured outside the USA. Timken bearings are manufactured worldwide too. All tapered roller bearings are manufactured to the same AFBMA standards, although some countries may scrimp with the quality control, You can trust German owned, Japan, Swedish, USA owned equally (and maybe a couple others). Most manufacturers use 'Timken' steel - 52100 vacuum degassed steel - a specialty steel made for most ABEC Class I precision bearing manufacturing which wheel bearings are. Some of the top manufaturer brands that can be trusted; Timken, SKF, NTN, NSK, FAG, ..... I retired from this business 8 years ago, so my memory may be excluding some, but you will be just fine with any of these.

TedS

I don't understand why trailer bearings cannot be permanently lubricated. When was the last time you lubed your truck wheel bearings?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't understand why trailer bearings cannot be permanently lubricated. When was the last time you lubed your truck wheel bearings?
I guess that's a valid question. I know the trucks rear bearings are lubricated by the differential oil. The fronts don't carry as much weight but I have had one front bearing fail on my truck. I don't think cars and trucks are subjected to the stresses that our trailer bearings are. I suppose if they were properly lubed, installed and adjusted from the manufacturer and they used high quality materials, they could go longer without maintenance.

bdb2047

I am sure there are more than a few of us who remember roller and tapered bearings on frt wheels of vehicles have changed my share of them.Don't know if 100% use sealed bearings but do not hear of many failures.Ones I have persnoal knowledge of where high milage.Not sure if comparing motor vehcile to trailer is good. Talked to Dexter, was told problems w/ never lube are not what they where when first intoduced.Not sure person was qualified but they dealt w/warranty problem I had w/brakes.Also understand wrong wheels have caused problem.Mor Ryde seams to be a good co but still they are in sales and seam to think these are good

bdb2047

Hi Duane,Going to Gillette and planning on NE regional.Been on road since end of Nov should be home by Aug. probably take a month or so to catch up so will miss most of rallies in area.By the way truck has been great,some problems w/dealer doing routine srevice but no issues.How is your new suspension working?

porthole

Retired
Dave - guess we'll see you guys at the NE GTG then.
I have some issues with the suspension, nothing major, but it is not working up to my expectations yet and tech suppoort is a little slow in the "I'll get back to you".