New 2014 RAM Megacab clearance

gpshemi

Moving up from my 2006 megacab to a 2014 megacab and I'm wondering if I should buy the picture frame adaptor (sit higher?) and use my 10yr old noisy 18k PullRite SuperGlide still, or switch to a B&W Companion 3600 that drops right in. I like the peace of mind of the SuperGlide, but it's noisy, needs painted, and for the picture frame money, I could sell it and buy a new drop on unit. However, the B&W doesn't slide. Not sure if I'll need it for the new megacabs and Cyclone or not.

[h=1]Thoughts?[/h]

Miltp920

What are you doing with your 2006 megacab? SRW Or DRW? I am in the market.

Yeah that doesn't really help me. Your a Chevy and Curt hitch.
I'm perfectly familiar with the Cyclone's 88 degree cap design. Let's stick to my specific question of the new 2014 megacabs without a slider...

gtsum2

interested in the responses here as I have a 2014 Megacab 3500 and the B&W drop in for the factory puck system is appealing and road warrior or cyclone is at the top of my list of haulers...just not sure about clearance issues...if you go with the pic frame then you might have to worry about the rig being nose high??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

kasey200

I have a crew cab short bed (6'-5" bed just like your megacab) with the B&W companion and i pull a 2014 cyclone 3100. I thought long and hard about which hitch to use. I ended up going with the companion just because they have such great reviews. I am happy with my decision because with the heartland 88° cap I can actually turn extremely sharp. the cap does work as advertised, pretty impressive. I've backed into some pretty tight locations that i know for a fact a non-slider with a standard 5th wheel would not have made it.

gtsum2

Kasey - what truck do you have? I think the mounting position in the rams are closer to the cab than ford

kasey200

Yes it rides a bit nose high. I have the hitch as low as possible but it's a bit out of level. I've done all I can do so I'll just have to live with it I guess.
f252b7a7477ea115c45e2e5a3673f6a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpshemi

Yikes. That's more out of level than I care to be. I'd raise the trailer to match.
I'm worried that even if they make a picture frame adaptor for my old 18k Superglide I'll have issues with that.
Although...my 06 had a 2" lift front and back. So not sure.

What a mess...

Anyone have the axle to cab measurement for a new megacab?

gtsum2

These new rams sit quite high stock. My 3500 is about 59 inches at the top of the bed rail in the back. It is really hard to believe how many out if level situations there are out there with a big toy hauler (aka 16 wheels, axles already flipped from factory, and 3k pin weights). I had the same issue when I hooked up tons couple other rigs to test out

gpshemi

Changing the pin changes the bed clearance. So that's only a partial solution. I already raised our Cyclone. Hopefully I'll be closer.

Turns out the only way to get the Pullrite its 4400 to work is with the Reese 30154 picture frame adaptor with a Pullrite 4409 adaptor on top of that. Not crazy about a adaptor on an adaptor solution. The B&W Companion would be a better solution I think if the clearance works out without sliding. I suspect it won't though in a megacab.

sstdusty

How about the B&W companion slider? Part number RVK 3400, I think it's has 12 inches of slide and is rated at 18,000 lbs

gpshemi

How about the B&W companion slider? Part number RVK 3400, I think it's has 12 inches of slide and is rated at 18,000 lbs

Because it's manual, expensive, overly big it seems. Mostly because it's manual. Might as well keep my Pullrite an adapt it at that rate.

Did some measuring off my 06 megacab.
37" from cab center to pin center on hitch.
52" from can center to rear most position pin center.

So the Cyclone's side wall must net out on back of cab when at 90 degrees. I've never taken it that far, but I've noticed the trailer close several times. I've always said a slider was necessary with the megacabs.

I think I'll order the picture frame adaptor (Reese 30154) and have it modified with the cross tubes to pin the SuperGlide to it. I can't see bolting yet another $450 adaptor (PullRite 4409) on top of the picture frame just to get ISR that sits 2" higher. This should be easy to figure out. ...Stayed tuned...

gtsum2

Looks good! Any issues getting it to level out? I am guessing you have a good bit of pin weight (3k or so)?

gpshemi

Yeah I have the 3.42 rear of course.

Weighed in at 27,000 lbs on a light packing weekend with the golf cart. GCWR is 29,000 lbs. OK there.
Drive axle was 3860 lbs. Pin weight was 3440 lbs. Combined it was 7300 lbs with everyone in. Rating is 9750 lbs. OK there.
Steering axle was 5460 lbs, 5640 lbs when loaded. Rated for 6000 lbs. OK there.
Load rating on the Firestone AT's LT285/60/R20's are 125R, so 7276 lbs combined. Technically that's 24 lbs over. So the wife can leave her purse in the camper next time. LOL.

The truck took it pretty well actually, but it was squatting about 2-3". So I put airbags in it to level it. It sits better now, but I honestly I prefer the feel empty oddly enough. Just seemed more planted to me. That wasn't the case with my 06 Megacab. I preferred 35lbs in it. It was running the Hankook tires though. I think those are 126R loaded rated. So they might have more side wall in them. The 06 was bombed, but the 4spd was a drag. It would wind out to get on a highway. This 14 takes it all in stride with the Aisin 6spd. I miss the power I had in the ol 5.9L. LOL. Put that ol 5.9L behind this Aisin and you'd have a frieght train.

Maybe a set of 19" wheels and tires eh? LOL.

gtsum2

sounds like you are good to go. I have a 2014 3500 Megacab with the factory pucks so I have been contemplating the Superglide with pic fram adapter (ISR rails, so only one adapter needed), or go with the B&W drop in for the ram system. Fairly sure I will be ordering a heartland TH here in the early spring, so I have some time. Just for grins, what is your door sticker payload rating? Mine is 4076lbs, so I was trying to stay at 3k or less pin weight