New 2016 2750RLS Antennae and electronics problems.

Kmondak

Ken Martin
Just got a new 250RLS Wilderness. After 2 weeks on the road I have to say the electronics system just plumb sucks!

First off 24 inch TV poorly mounted back in a hole with very poor sound qualities. The DVD/radio/CD player is nothing but a cheap automotive system. The first night we had to call the dealer to figure out how to turn the outside speakers off as we DID have neighbors. Turns out it is not a surround sound at all, but a cobbed up auto system. To turn the outside speakers off you have to use the "Fade" mode and adjust L to R as Outside to Inside. That leaves one with two speakers inside. The only adjustment to those are "Balance" F to B. OK .. got that figured out. Now I want to input TV thru the better speakers. Had to go to Best Buy and get an RCA plug to Banana plug adapter cord and plug externally into the automotive system. Great sound now, but not surround.

Now I move the 24 inch TV to the bedroom. Plug into Antenna system. What? No TV channels scan. Plug TV around the corner into amplified plug. Whoala! I now have channels. I can only presume the bedroom TV is not connected to the amplifier. Now that is real smart!

Am in the process of installing a 32 inch smart TV off the slide column tube on a wall mounted pivot. Had to weld up a special bracket to do this and get the TV to fold back into the end of the slide over the window. More details on that later. Still work in progress.

Does anyone have this same problem with the bedroom TV hookup? Called the dealer (300 miles away). There solution. See if you can play a DVD thru the player to the bedroom. If not the wiring is not connected correctly. Haven't tried that yet! My gosh I'm disappointed. Would have been a deal breaker if I had known.

danemayer

Hi Kmondak,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

A number of people have replaced the original sound equipment with higher-end gear and I expect some will chime in with suggestions for you.

Now I move the 24 inch TV to the bedroom. Plug into Antenna system. What? No TV channels scan. Plug TV around the corner into amplified plug. Whoala! I now have channels. I can only presume the bedroom TV is not connected to the amplifier.

I'm not familiar with the Wilderness layout or A/V connections, but some models have a jumper arrangement in the bedroom closet along with the signal booster. The jumper may be connected to either the satellite feed or to the Antenna/CATV feed. If that's what you have, it may be that the jumper is connected to the satellite dish coax.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Plug TV around the corner into amplified plug". If you can provide a few more details, perhaps someone will be able to fill in the blanks for you.

Kmondak

Ken Martin
This model has a 24 inch TV cubicle opposite the bedroom to the living area. In the cubicle are a 110V double outlet and a standard RV coax connection with a button to activate the TV booster/amplifier with red light. In the bedroom is a single TV coax connector. No booster. One would assume the single connector was split off the booster side, but evidently that is not so. Unless they miss wired something I see installing another booster installation necessary.

danemayer

Typically the CATV coax and antenna coax come together at the signal booster. There's usually an output at the signal booster and another output that makes its way through the RV to additional TV locations.

If the connection at the signal booster works, but the bedroom doesn't, you should check the coax connectors first to see if anything is loose or if ground wire strands are out of place perhaps shorting the center wire. I'd also check the wires in and out of the signal booster. If you are going to disconnect coax wires from the signal booster, be careful not to short them against the power connector or you'll pop a fuse in the 12V fuse panel.

Kmondak

Ken Martin
Typically the CATV coax and antenna coax come together at the signal booster. There's usually an output at the signal booster and another output that makes its way through the RV to additional TV locations.

If the connection at the signal booster works, but the bedroom doesn't, you should check the coax connectors first to see if anything is loose or if ground wire strands are out of place perhaps shorting the center wire. I'd also check the wires in and out of the signal booster. If you are going to disconnect coax wires from the signal booster, be careful not to short them against the power connector or you'll pop a fuse in the 12V fuse panel.

Thanks DaneMayer; Just needed to know if that's the way they would do it. Gosh I wish they would include some schematics. Everything is embedded in the walls. There is one panel behind the bedroom outlets that looks removable, so guess I will start there. and see how far I get. Is there any meter reading one could do? Don't know if these boosters put out any voltage or only frequency. May try and find some info for RV systems on the net.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Click on the "tools" at the top of the portal page....scroll down to "users guides" and maybe the info is there.

avvidclif

This model has a 24 inch TV cubicle opposite the bedroom to the living area. In the cubicle are a 110V double outlet and a standard RV coax connection with a button to activate the TV booster/amplifier with red light. In the bedroom is a single TV coax connector. No booster. One would assume the single connector was split off the booster side, but evidently that is not so. Unless they miss wired something I see installing another booster installation necessary.

Turn the switch off to use the cable input.
The booster is built-in to the antenna. The switch turns the power to it off and on.

Kmondak

Ken Martin
Problem solved; Yep! Poorly installed ferules connecting to the amplifier/booster board. Just push on type and the ferrule was barely screwed down. Seems to go with the poor quality electronics for the trailer. Love our Wilderness by Heartland and the quality, but they really need to get a new electronics manager and do some quality control. Have upgraded the TV to a 32 inch. Will post details on a separate thread.

Kmondak

Ken Martin
Upgraded from 24 inch to 32 inch TV in Wilderness 2750 RLS

Very disappointed in mounting, size, and sound quality of the stock 24 inch TV. Just had to remedy the situation. My wife plans on putting black or brown spring rod mounted curtains over old TV recess and we will use it for a charging station for our cell phones and other batteries. May add a shelf in the space. Moved the stock TV and mounting into the bedroom. Works just fine there.

This is my album for installation details: //heartlandowners.org/album.php?albumid=587

0902151201.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: