New 4100 Problems

Atczdc

Hello, I am the new owner of a 4100 HD and was wondering if anyone had some of the same issues as me. My furnace quit working last weekend because I ran out of LP. The unit has power and LP now. I used to hear the electronic ignitor clicking when it was trying to fire. I no longer hear that and the blower will cycle for 30 seconds and then shut off. Ive tried purging the lines and switching tanks. I called Heartland and they directed me to call suburban. I called them but they wouldnt offer tech support because I'm not a dealer. I can run it up the road to have it repaired but was wondering if I was just missing something easy. Does it have a "lockout mode?" Any help or ideas would be helpful. This is not my first 5th but I'm outta ideas
Thanks

danemayer

Hi Atczdc,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

First I'd suggest closing both tanks and re-opening them VERY slowly so as to not trip the overflow protection device. Then light a burner on the stovetop for a minute or two to purge air from the lines and make sure you have propane flow.

Then turn the thermostat off for a few seconds to reset the lockout.

When you turn the thermostat back to Heat, the furnace blower should come on for 25-30 seconds. As the blower gets up to speed, a sail switch confirms airflow at the blower and the circuit board can open the gas valve and fire the ignition. There's a flame sensor that determines whether a 2nd or 3rd ignition attempt is needed. If flame is not detected after three tries, it locks out again.

Make sure you're not blocking or covering any vents inside. Also take a look for obstructions, leaves, insects or other debris on the outside of the furnace at the air intake.

If you don't hear the ignition attempt any more, it makes me wonder if maybe the furnace stopped working because of that, rather than because you were out of propane. Could be a sail switch or circuit board failure.

oscar

Yes, the easiest way to confirm the presence of propane and to purge most of the air out of the lines is to run the stove. You will find that after sitting for a while with the valves on the bottles closed it takes a while to get gas in the lines again.

Once the stove is going, turn on the furnace. It will try a few times to start (3…?) and if there's no result it will give up. Turning off and back on resets this.

If this doesn't help, there may be bugs in the jets. (Bugs like propane, and go in the device and set up shop in the pilot flame/burning nozzles). Putting screens on the exhaust/intake will slow this down.

jeffdee

I concur with OSCAR. I always run the stove to purge air out the propane system. You should also do this before starting the fridge on gas. If not, the fridge will go to "fault" until you do a purge.

Running the stove is the best and safest way to prep your propane system for ALL your propane appliances.

Atczdc

Thanks for all the help guys, turned out to be the circuit board. They replaced it with a larger size board that seemed less congested looking on the back of it. Hopefully this one last longer than 2 weeks!!

ramdually4100king

We had the same issue on our 4100. Something about the installed boards being defective. After they (heartland) replaced 8 months ago we have had no problems.