New battery

BobHinSC

5/16/2016
Good morning everyone,
My 2015 Heartland North Trail needs a new battery. What would be the best battery value for my money and where would I buy that battery.
Thank you so much,
Bob

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You want a good deep cycle battery (not a combo cranking/deep cycle). I like Interstate, but any name brand would be good. The size will depend on what you can fit in your existing battery box. I got my current ones at Costco. I would personally go with the highest amp hour I could get within size and budget considerations. You'll probably get a lot of different recommendations.

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you boondock and have room for two batteries, install two 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. You won't regret it.

windviewer

In addition to replacing the battery, you might try to determine why you had to replace it so soon. (Is it the way you are maintaining the battery, or just bad luck and you got a bad battery).

Crown Deep Cycle batteries are what I use (2 24DC in parallel)

donr827

The battery that you buy depends on the type of camping you do. If you always stay at a cg with power you can get by with less amp hours. Id you boom dock a lot then go for the largest amp hour deep cycle battery you can fit the battery compartment and your wallet. JMO
Don

Lou_and_Bette

I purchased a Optima Battery for my Sundance last spring... http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/opt...edium=adword&gclid=CMXa2J-Z38wCFQmqaQodrjAJaQ Since I live in Arizona my battery always seemed to be low on water... Hot down here in the Summer you know... Anyway this battery has worked out great for me... Great power, never needs water, and does not need exterior ventilation either...

Jet.com has this battery and if it is your first order you can get 15% off and free shipping

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I installed a couple of the Group 29 Battery Everstart MAXX that Walmart sells. It is around $100 each. A side from the actual labels, The batteries look identical to the interstate group 29 battery SRM-29 that I also have installed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Group-Size-29-Marine-Battery/20531539

We used this battery in our ElkRidge. When our Converter was on the blitz, sadly it took out the battery too (battery was about 18 months old) But Walmart gave us a little credit for it towards another.

RoadJunkie

The Wally battery looks pretty good at a fair price, the 29 series is great...if it fits my existing battery box. I'll have to measure.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If your battery box does not fit it. A new battery box can be purchased at Wal-mart for less than $20. Or you could do like I did and for less than $15 purchase a box that holds 3 batteries and convert it to a battery box. I did this for my NT since I placed solar panels on the roof.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes we had to get a new box, and then add the vent to the top. But we did not have room for additional batteries, so bigger was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Gus,
What size and length wire did you use to connect your batteries in parallel?

I just bought the same ones from Costco and the wire from the Landmark bus to my old battery is 6g and 18" long. So my assumption/common sense is that you want to stay with the 6g wire to connect the two batteries together. I was also thinking of maintaining the same 18" length, but am hard pressed to find reasons why.

My original DP24 battery from the dealer just croaked so I thought if I'm going to replace the battery I might as well get two. This is the first time I've used batteries in parallel and I simply want to ensure that I wire them up correctly to get the desired benefit and don't bleed one at the expense of the other.

TIA,
John

Oregon_Camper

I simply want to ensure that I wire them up correctly to get the desired benefit and don't bleed one at the expense of the other.

Picture is worth a thousand words...right? So I just saved 9,988 words

Captured.jpg

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 37

JJC

retired Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Thank you for the replies, but unfortunately the saga continues :(

So I wired up my new batteries in parallel and lo and behold they are now boiling over after 24 hours. My '13 LM has an IntelliPower9200 and I checked the voltage across the terminals and it's a steady 13.2 which per the manual (oops I read it ;) implies the converter is in storage mode. In other words, it should be putting out 13.2.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I would think this points to the power converter but the voltage measurement looks like it's doing the right thing. Of course, we're due to leave on a short trip this Tuesday so it just adds to the fun :confused: