New Bighorn

Westwind

We have had our new Bighorn in the yard since the end of July but my work schedule prevented us from using the trailer but we were able to hook everything up and test everything. But the past week the weather was very mild and I was able to wax the exterior of the 3070 and realized that it was a good thing to do. The top of the rear window was missing caulking and I found 3 screws that the heads had snapped off during installation on the side of the slides. p; The skirt on the kitchen slide has much too much movement for me and needs at least two more supports beside the 2 that were there. One wasn't attached so that was an easy fix. The other two that are needed I'll fabricate two, paint and install but I guess I better be quick. It's getting colder. Waxing makes you look closer at the trailer all over and even though none of these things were major I'm glad I got the chance to touch these things up before the winter and our trip to Florida in Feb, Mar, and April.

Westwind

Dealer is 240 Miles away, love to make the trip in the spring-summer-fall but not now it's more than likely snowing in Manchester, Maine. Plus I don't mind doing little fuss jobs like these, it's called peace of mind for me because I checked it. (Yes very anal!).

wdk450

Dealer is 240 Miles away, love to make the trip in the spring-summer-fall but not now it's more than likely snowing in Manchester, Maine. Plus I don't mind doing little fuss jobs like these, it's called peace of mind for me because I checked it. (Yes very anal!).

Westwind:
If you want to recoup some of that money included in your purchase price for warranty repairs, remember that HEARTLAND SERVICE ALLOWS YOU TO USE ANY SERVICE PROVIDER YOU CHOOSE FOR WARRANTY SERVICE. All that is required is a pre-service phone call to Heartland Service for authorization. So if you can find an RV servicer closer to you than the 240 miles, they can do the warranty work.

Westwind

Well Bill, its a dealer I didn't buy from but talked to, Not sure I want to take it there. We will be close to two Bighorn Dealers in Florida during our 3 months down there so I'm not worried about it, right now we have nothing not working, everything is a go and I can't wait, 9 more weeks.

wdk450

O.K.
What part of Rhode Island are you from? My sister used to live in Cranston in a 130 year old "mill workers housing" salt box house by a textile mill (Cranston Print Works?) that used to be powered by water. The stream and raceways were still there. I visited a lot when I was in the Navy on the East coast.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
While you have time, check out the screws in the windows on the outside. Mine were plated screws and will rust pretty soon. Change them all out to stainless steel when you can.

Jarhead

USMC Phantom Phixer
While you have time, check out the screws in the windows on the outside. Mine were plated screws and will rust pretty soon. Change them all out to stainless steel when you can.

Something doesn't seem right here. I've never seen an "HEHR" window, installed by Heartland, with the window screws installed from the outside. If your unit came that way, I would suspect that the windows are not original and not sealed correctly.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Something doesn't seem right here. I've never seen an "HEHR" window, installed by Heartland, with the window screws installed from the outside. If your unit came that way, I would suspect that the windows are not original and not sealed correctly.

Good catch. I just checked mine and there are no screws on the exterior window trim.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like you, I don't mind doing the little things I can manage on my own. You mentioned the skirt on the slide. These are really only supported by a single screw and gusset in the lower center area. Mine were like yours, not too sturdy. It's an easy fix as long as you can find a good way to attach support that wont get in the way when the slide is retracted.
As for the rear window it sounds as if they just missed it. Probably went on break and forgot about it at the factory.:( Personally, I don't use silicone on the RV exterior. It just doesn't seem to do well. I've had good results with THIS STUFF or THIS ONE if you can find it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree. I've never seen windows from the factory with external screws. Now, back in the 60's and 70's, when we had square framed aluminum crank out windows, they had external screws covered with vinyl trim tape. I bet a lot of us remember those.:eek:

Westwind

Don't have Hehr windows on my 2012, I think the name is KINRO, they only have one or two screws on them, they have the black rim around the out-side and they seem decent only time will tell.

Last edited: