New Cyclone Owners

Winjammin

Hello!!

On Oct 7, we will be joining the Heartland family when we pick up our (new to us) 2010 Cyclone 3795 and trading our 2010 Keystone Hornet. We dog show with our RV, outgrew the Hornet, and the Cyclone was a logical step forward. After lurking on the forum for awhile, reading up on various models and checking out the mods that have been done, I am already planning and investigating mods for the garage, and elsewhere, to be more comfortable for the dogs (and us!). Just off the top of my head, I know I need to figure a way to anchor the crates (hoping that the d-rings in the floor are in the right spot) and also putting up some of that wallboard that is used in the vet's office to facilitate cleaning and sanitizing behind the crates. I'm sure once I have the trailer in hand, I'll be planning more!!!

Can't wait to meet y'all!
--Rus

porthole

Retired
The tie downs in the garage are minimal, and probably will not be where you need them for crates.
But the underside of the trailer under the garage is accessible (no cover).

And since the floor is 1", you could use #12 wood screws on whatever track you decide on. Since most tracks are drilled every 4", the wood screws will be more then adequate, and you can add the tracks right along the wall then.

Where you see the factory mounted D-rings is where there is steel under the floor.

Winjammin

Thanks porthole...that really helps! Our old TT has bunks in the back and I secured the wire crates with wire shelving brackets to the bunk, after removing the mattresses. I'd love to do the same type of thing, and it sounds like I might be able to do just that. We're wanting to put the crates next to the sliding glass door, along the wall opposite the back entry door. I know the fuel tank is there as well, but now thinking mounting the crates will not interfere.

How thick are the side walls? We also want to be able to mount hooks and eye bolts to the walls to help with storage, if possible. I know there are aluminum studs, but do you have any suggestions on what works well if there is no stud close?

BTW - I have been in awe of the wonderful mods you did to your 3010!! They all look great!!! :)

porthole

Retired
Thanks porthole...that really helps! Our old TT has bunks in the back and I secured the wire crates with wire shelving brackets to the bunk, after removing the mattresses. I'd love to do the same type of thing, and it sounds like I might be able to do just that. We're wanting to put the crates next to the sliding glass door, along the wall opposite the back entry door. I know the fuel tank is there as well, but now thinking mounting the crates will not interfere.

The fuel tank is about 3-4" below the floor, so if you desired you could through bolt.
What I did with my bicycle rack was to use stainless steel threaded inserts in the floor. You could do the same then use a piece of flat stock (aluminum, wood or plastic) through the bottom of the crate. When the rack is not there the inserts are hardly noticeable.

How thick are the side walls? We also want to be able to mount hooks and eye bolts to the walls to help with storage, if possible. I know there are aluminum studs, but do you have any suggestions on what works well if there is no stud close?

The walls are about 1.5” thick and the studs are not a 16” on center thing.
Even so, being aluminum they don’t take well to screws. A toggle type retainer or some sort of expanding insert might be best . I have so far, tried to avoid using the wall to actually support anything. Not saying it can’t be done, just have elected not to do it.
I would however, if needed use a freestanding rack and secure it to the wall. That I would be comfortable with.

mods you did to your 3010!! They all look great!!!
clip_image002.gif

Thanks!