New Elkridge kitchen sink leaking

fishnwich

I can't believe that the stainless steel sinks are installed without using pipe dope on the fittings for the drains. Looked under the sink while draining and water was coming out of the bottom of the fittings. Went to Home depot and purchase new sink drains fittings. The existing drain fittings from the factory were plastic. Installed using the proper dope and amazing no leaks. This is just wrong when purchasing a unit for this much that either the workmanship or the quality of the process in building are so lacks allowing this to happen. Only one rubber and one fiber gaskets were used on both sinks bottoms. You would think that Heartland would have better process than this. The vinal floor will probably start coming up due to the leaks. If you purchases a unit make sure that you look under the sink for water leaks from the kitchen sink plumbing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The one rubber and one fiber gasket is pretty much standard even in residential use. No additional dope should be needed, probably just needed tightening. Just a heads up, check all your fittings regularly as they tend to loosen as your rig bounces down the highway. Peace Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've always used plumbers putty inside the sink with no gasket inside. The rubber gasket should be under the sink and then the fiber between the plastic flange nut and the rubber. The fiber washer allows the plastic flange nut to be tightened securely. I can't explain why Heartland uses the rubber washer inside. Mine was that way initially and it leaked. I reinstalled as described and no leaks since.