New Ford F350 Diesels

funntheson

No problems with my truck. Tows like a champion. I don't believe air bags are necessary, and I don't know if they would do much.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Well from the research I did over the last year looking for my new truck here is what I came up with. This is from personal observation, from reading and from word of mouth on the vehicles they drive not heresay.
Dodge: the Cummins.... what can you say really. Great engine but people complain about the auto transmissions. Go read the tons of Dodge forums.
Didn't have the raw power that the new Ford and Chevy have.
GM: I like the GMC better than the bow tie, I think it looks better. Cab forward I love the look, bed back ..ugh. The Urea system doesn't seem as well designed as the Ford from what I read on thedieselplace.com. There were too many complaining about that system messing up.
I drove the GMC Denali 3500HD and they've done something with the throttle on these things. The torque management made the truck feel underpowered although I know it isn't. Even in the Denali it feels exactly like I was in my friends '07 Suburban. Overrall I really really liked it, a lot.
Ford: It felt very comfortable to me, it was new yet familiar. Finish on the interior was good. The towing mirrors are great, the new information screen is real cool, the new gauge colors are easier on the eyes. Dash layout felt good, easy to reach everything, tons of power points and cup holders.

Right now in the game I do believe Ford has a superior product with the new Super Duty's. I consider myself a very fair person concerning this age old battle but it's like discussing politics or religion.
So to my experience with my truck. I have put 6,000 miles on it since late June. 4,000 in the last 2 weeks. The transmission issue some are mentioning (from what i've read since i've never experienced it) is only when it's empty. I haven't read anyone complaining about the tranny while towing. I know I can't, it did it's job and got about 11.8mpg at an avg of 75mph with a 14k trailer.
I did have to refill the urea, no big deal, open the blue cap near the green cap, pour in urea. Changing the oil was surprisingly easy as well. I don't have a problem with the trailer sitting nose high.

For mods, don't touch it, at least not now. It is a lot of truck as it sits, seriously. The stock air box is rated at 500HP, which means you're good. I use the regular filters because K&N are just a waste of money, my 0.02.
If you want to really do something to this truck then the warranty will be gone so don't spend the extra $2000 on an extended warranty just go ahead and buy a 5" exhaust and an H&S Mini Max programmer. This will give you the throaty sound, the whine of the turbo, another 150hp + gobs more torque and you won't have to worry about Urea refilling or DPF regenin'g BUT AGAIN.... kiss that warranty bubye.

6.7powerstroke

A bunch of great posts on this. I have 27K on mine and couldn't be happier. Honestly, Ford is just miles ahead of GM and Dodge (with no gov't bailout money too!!) The tranny was a bit curious when it first came out, there were a few TSB releases that fixed some things and made others worse. The April update finally nailed them. Transmission shifts completely different now, it seems to have a much better idea of "where it is supposed to be" when driving. I have had zero issues with mine, probably have about 5K miles of towing all over Colorado. I did have trailer brake issues a few weeks ago with a violent shaking, but thinking it may be a problem on the trailer rather than the truck. Only complaint has been the headlights, which are quite dim, and the wearing of the 20" Michelins. Mine are almost shot already which I am not thrilled about. The creature comforts are amazing, the SYNC works great. I love being able to stream Pandora over my iphone and listen to it through my radio. The voice activation is also fantastic, much better than the Lexus or BMW I had. Best car I have ever had.

lwmcguir

Having had over 20 new trucks our F350 is the best truck ever. Agree with both above post 100%. We enjoy driving it more than any of the other vehicles including the Wrangler. You can't go wrong with the purchase of a Super Duty as the resale will be the best of any of the HD trucks.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We bought a 2011 F350 6.7. When we left home to go to Texas for the Winter it had 200 miles on it and now we have 10K
No problems, just love the ride it gives. Dan worked in a Chev dealership for many years and was a GMC man, but to pull a big rig, he changed to FORD and we have had many of them...

jetjarv

Diesel power magazine this summer. All 3 r great. Ford Chevrolet more torque than dodge but how often do u do full throttle pulls? That is the point they were making. No urea in dodge yet. The test shows it's about the features, looks, and comfort. Each one has it's pluses and minuses from each other. No bad truck, all personal preference. If u really want a dodge with the 800 ftlb of torque like duramax and powerstroke wait a few months. U said u like the ford? Go get it. I'm sure u will love it.