New here and considering a Heartland North Trail....

danemayer

I am new and am considering a Heartland product based on this forum and comments of others. Right now I am looking at a Keystone Vantage (great discounts in price) and a North Trail or Wilderness. I have a 3/4 ton diesel pickup so weight is not a problem but would like the highest quality trailer less that 28 feet; I want to get into state and federal parks. Airstream is out of the budget. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
Hi psjh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people. I'm sure some will jump right in with their thought and advice for you.

pegmikef

Looks like most of the pluses and quality of the North Trail are pretty well covered in this thread already. Aside from the obvious things I like two of main things that makes the NT my choice is 1) I can fit in almost any space in the state and federal parks where the bigger rigs can't 2)pull out luggage rack (referred to as a bike rack in brochures) because I can haul my generators and other outside stuff easily when we boondock. Thirteen thousand miles and no problems with any thing in the rig except those that were self inflicted by dumb attacks. This is my second Heartland.

berky

I am new and am considering a Heartland product based on this forum and comments of others. Right now I am looking at a Keystone Vantage (great discounts in price) and a North Trail or Wilderness. I have a 3/4 ton diesel pickup so weight is not a problem but would like the highest quality trailer less that 28 feet; I want to get into state and federal parks. Airstream is out of the budget. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

You've come to the right place. We have a North Trail 26LRSS, and we ONLY camp in state and national parks. I can pretty much get it the site of my choosing, save for those really short ones that will only take a popup anyhow

All of the previous posts sum up the North Trail's nicely. I don't think I'm stretching things when I say that we all continue to be impressed with the design and quality of our units, even years and thousands of miles afterwards, when the luster might otherwise wear off.

For us the 26LRSS is ideal because:
- there's so much window space we don't feel like we're losing touch with the great outdoors even when we're indoors.
- the 12' slideout really opens up the interior, with plenty of moving about room for our active labrador retriever.
- there's loads of exterior storage space up front for all of that outdoor gear we can't leave behind.

dl_camps

Hi FoCoNoCo,
We also purchased a North Trail 21FBS this past May and love it. Had a few minor things wrong, but nothing serious. We looked at many other TT's and our two choices were the same as yours. A couple of things that made a small difference to us was that the heat vents were not in the floor, when I sweep I don't have to worry bout all the dirt and dust getting in them. I love the refrigerator and deep bottom on the freezer. Also noticed on the Bullet when the slide was extended out, the plastic piece that covers the wheels came out with it, we were afraid it would break more easily. I know we have only had our NT for a few months, but I think the quality is there. Sometimes in other TT's the bathroom divider wll seemed really flimsy, our NT doesn't, and we like the enclosed underbelly. We looked long and hard for quite a while and we are very happy with our purchase. Good luck with your decision!

Don & Linda

johnnybac

Brand new to forum and considering a Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition

Good evening everyone. We've been looking at TT for 15 years and have finally settled on the North Trail. We are really happy that we finally have the means to get one. Now we just need some feedback on 2 models. The 22FBS and the 28BRS. Both caliber editions. The 22FBS has a bigger slide and no bunks. It feels bigger (wider to me) in the main area which is the main reason it is still on the list. The 28BRS has a narrower slide (feels tighter to me which is why I question it) in the main area but has the double-bunks. We have 2 kids (11, 9) and a Golden Retriever. We plan mostly to do short 2 or 3 day trips a couple times each month. Some of our visits will be to state parks in our area. Others to the local campgrounds. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Also, our vehicle is a Ford that can tow 6900. We plan on upgrading that vehicle within the next year or so. Thanks to all.

jimtoo

Re: Brand new to forum and considering a Heartland North Trail Caliber Edition

Hi johnnybac,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some feed back soon from our other owners. Hope you join our family of owners and make some of the rallies.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PeternLiane

Good evening everyone. We've been looking at TT for 15 years and have finally settled on the North Trail. We are really happy that we finally have the means to get one. Now we just need some feedback on 2 models. The 22FBS and the 28BRS. Both caliber editions. The 22FBS has a bigger slide and no bunks. It feels bigger (wider to me) in the main area which is the main reason it is still on the list. The 28BRS has a narrower slide (feels tighter to me which is why I question it) in the main area but has the double-bunks. We have 2 kids (11, 9) and a Golden Retriever. We plan mostly to do short 2 or 3 day trips a couple times each month. Some of our visits will be to state parks in our area. Others to the local campgrounds. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Also, our vehicle is a Ford that can tow 6900. We plan on upgrading that vehicle within the next year or so. Thanks to all.

We love our 22FBS. It's perfect for us, our 1 kid and three dogs. It just opens up inside. We are in the process of moving so I will be living in it of the winter till I get the position permanently and they come up here next summer. The storage is great, especially on the 2 and 3 day trips. That's what we normally take. We love everything about it. We tow ours with a 07 Tacoma. The 22FBS tows beautifully. I know that I can recommend one whole heartily.

berky

While we don't have either model, we do have a 26LRSS for the two of us and our labrador retriever. No question we made the right choice for us ... North Trail and the 26LRSS. We're happy to have the extra space we get from the larger slideout when we're forced inside on a cold rainy day.

Give some thought to your family's camping style. Are you there for the great outdoors or is there family time inside the trailer? That may help you decide which floor plan is best for you.

As for the TV, you should be OK as long as you don't try to climb any long grades. My truck is rated to pull 9600# and doesn't break a sweat pulling 7000# (loaded) on the interstates. But I've needed every bit of the truck to get up to state parks like Blue Knob and Black Moshannon in PA. If you end up with the 28BRS and head for those state parks sitting on the top of a mountain, you'll want a TV with a 5.3L or bigger, a 6-spd transmision, and the heavy duty towing package.

Nathan

We have had many things go wrong with our North Trail (this is probably not the norm). Just click on my name and then go to my view forum posts. Make sure you do a really through PDI (pre-delivery inspection). What I like about the NT over the Bullet series is the "apparent" build quality. They use RV granite for counter tops instead of corian. The floor seems to be better made. The general build quality seems better. Customer Service has eventually taken care of (almost) all my issues so far. The only have a motor housing to fix now. The NT are notorious for having cabinet issues. They are the ones with that open up towards the ceiling on a gas spring. The actual hinges keep popping out of the cabinet. PRIOR to taking delivery make sure they address this. Also, prior to signing on the dotted line have the install a gas spring under neath your main bedroom storage area. Otherwise this area is almost useless because it take literally two people to get to put anything in there. Make sure during your PDI that the hot water, propane heater, TV's, refrigerator(s) and PLUMBING are all checked. Actually ask for a ladder and look on top of the unit and inspect all of the fiberglass (even where you can't see) for cracking or delamination. Finally, see if you can get them to throw in an electric tongue jack; those things are worth their weight in gold! Finally, spend the extra cash for the extended warranty.

After all that being said I STILL would go with my NT over any of the other products in my price range.

This Thread sums up most of the issues we have had with our NT. Good luck!

ZNK

Where did you find that they use "RV granite for counter tops instead of Corian"? I am almost certain that mine has Corian counter tops...

jimtoo

Where did you find that they use "RV granite for counter tops instead of Corian"? I am almost certain that mine has Corian counter tops...

The counter tops are , I think its called, Hanex. It is about the same as Corian, maybe a little softer, but can be repaired or polished the same a Corian.

Jim M

jimtoo

Re: ordered!

Hey Johnny,, welcome aboard. Now the wait begins.

When you go for PDI, to pickup your new unit, do a very good inspection. Go from top to bottom, inside to outside. Have them hookup water and electric. Try all appliances and water and drain the tanks just so you will know that everything works. If possible camp on their lot or campground for a day or so to just test everything.

Enjoy the forum and your new caliber.

Jim M