New installed trailer hitches from the factory

sengli

We have a 2013 big horn and we elected to have the class 1 hitch installed at the factory when we built our coach. All of the 2013 have "L" brackets on the rear of the frames where this hitch can be bolted on. I realize this hitch wasn't meant for any use other than just a bike rack, due to its rating. Anyway the hitch becuase of its width is very "spongie" when loaded with just our two bikes. It flexes in the center, up and down, I think too much. I have pretty much decided its not worth using. We used it once and the bouncing motion of the rack in the hitch damaged the receiver. Just an FYI to all that might think about getting one. Its not very robust, and there isn't really any re-enforcing plates welded in the center. I would take it off and weld some re-enforcing plates on it, but the "L" brackets mounting it to the frame on the rear... aren't all that heavy either.

MTPockets

We had the same experience .... I even posted a short video of the flexing [video=youtube;ctHVfrqrYsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ctHVfrqrYsg[/video]

Ours flexed so much it finally broke the bike rack upright support and we came very close to losing two very good bikes. We happened to stop and when I did my walk around, the bikes were hanging by a bungee cord I wrap around the tires.

I have since welded supports and a second cross bar that bolts to that "L" bracket on ea. side. That firmed up the flex and so far have not had a problem.

GOTTOYS

Nothing like paying extra and winding up with an unusable piece of junk you need to modify to make it acceptable...I would add a second cross member between the frame rails maybe 8-10" inches ahead of it and then have a brace or two welded in between the two cross members to stiffen it up. A good welding shop could handle this for not a lot of $$ Of course it will probably void your warranty...Don

Owenfamily

Heartland needs step up their game with Lippert on certain things. This is one of them. You should be able to carry a bike(s) and a little more on the back of a trailer without any weight problems. My last trailer had a class three hitch put on the back of it. Sure it was overkill but I did have to worry about anything falling off. The guys I use around my area are old timers that have been in this small town for over 30 years. There price is not cheap but it is not that high as people would think. The dealers want twice as much. Everyone talks about void the warranty. I would rather void the warranty and be safe. Plus if there is ever a problem with needed some frame work, you think I want lippert doing it. Heck no if they can't do it right the first time.
David

ChangingPlaces

Hi
We had a a rear bumper bar fitted to our rig intially to protect the rear and to support the bottom of the ladder to stop it from moving.
We have since had a tongue and ball welded to the bumper bar for our bikes, we have'nt travelled with the bikes on the bike rack yet but it is very sturdy.
Here is a photo. The tongue and ball are not welded on in this photo but you get the idea.

P1020076.jpg

PUG

Pug
Looks like a real piece of junk. I had a bulldog hitch installed on my sob and can have 300 lb hitch weight and pull 3,000 lb. Works for a small trl with a atv on it.

dglatta

Nothing like paying extra and winding up with an unusable piece of junk you need to modify to make it acceptable...I would add a second cross member between the frame rails maybe 8-10" inches ahead of it and then have a brace or two welded in between the two cross members to stiffen it up. A good welding shop could handle this for not a lot of $$ Of course it will probably void your warranty...Don

Well, Don, I guess you'd better throw your welder and some scrap iron into the GOTTOYS mobile RV repair trailer when you come to Texas in February. We'll keep the light on for you.

GOTTOYS

Well, Don, I guess you'd better throw your welder and some scrap iron into the GOTTOYS mobile RV repair trailer when you come to Texas in February. We'll keep the light on for you.
Well I'll try, but I'm not sure I'll have room with all the plumbing supplies. Maybe I can just make up the cross member ahead of time and we could bolt it on. I'll see what Santa can come up with..Warranty? We don't need no stinking warranty...Don

TeJay

Even if you had a warranty I really, really doubt that it would cover two ruined $1,500-$5,000 dollar bikes. My Sons Tri-bike cost well over $7,000. I wouldn't spend that kind of $$$$ for a bike but then I'm not of this modern generation. I did spend $800 for a decent trail bike and would not want it trashed by a poor design rack. Thanks, I'll build one myself and it will work.

TeJay

MTPockets

I and others have made the same observations before - that is; After months and probably years of hearing these type issues, why doesn't the manufacturer just fix it? So simple to do and cost is minor compared to the customer complaints and what the customer has to spend to fix them .... Heartland could put out units sooo much better and less of a headache for a couple hundred bucks more...

danemayer

Mine doesn't flex like shown in the video clip. It's pretty solid. Maybe this is a warranty issue on the receiver. Has anyone talked to Lippert?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTPockets

Mine doesn't flex like shown in the video clip. It's pretty solid. Maybe this is a warranty issue on the receiver. Has anyone talked to Lippert?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine seemed rigid too with nothing attached. I pushed my foot on the receiver and it would barely move, however, with the bike rack attached, push down on the bike rack with little force and the entire recevier moves as shown in the video. about three foot leverage makes a huge difference.

I talked with Lippert and was told that since there is no damage to the receiver, there is nothing to warranty, but would pass the information along to others for investigation...

sengli

I agree with MTPockets, this hitch should be able to carry two bicycles without any issue's. Thats the way it sold to us as consumers. Thats what I paid for. It flexes so badly, with the rack installed and two bikes on it, its insane. This is built way too light. It will fail completely, theres no doubt about that given some time. I used mine one time, when we first took delivery. Our bikes made it 15 miles and the hitch bent to the point the bikes were dragging. Guess I will rip this hitch off, and scrap it. I am going to install a hitch to the front of the truck. Seriously if this thing is this lame, why offer it to us? Just leave it off, and don't sell it.

Last edited: