NEW Internal combustion Small Engines Now Banned in California

wdk450

I just came across this on Yahoo News. NEW Generators, ATV's, chain saws, etc. banned.

On edit: "The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible"" . This may make existing small engine stuff (like generators) a LOT more valuable.

Maybe we will have a more reasonable governor by 2024.

Last edited:

danemayer

Ban on sale after Jan 2024, or perhaps later based on what's feasible. I don't think they're banning use of machines already owned.

Maybe they expect you to get a battery powered generator.;)

wdk450

I think I have read about a fuel cell generator for RV use that was being developed a few years ago.

Danj2718

I just came across this on Yahoo News. NEW Generators, ATV's, chain saws, etc. banned.

On edit: "The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible"" . This may make existing small engine stuff (like generators) a LOT more valuable.

Maybe we will have a more reasonable governor by 2024.

Maybe you should be glad that the state is looking after your health instead of whining about the ban. The planet is becoming a trash pile and the atmosphere is rapidly becoming toxic. California has always led the nation in forward-thinking legislation. The planet will be ruined with archaic thinking like this. Good for you Gov!

wdk450

I have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified emissions generator, as all sold in this state have had to be for the last 5 years or so.

I ran the generator all day 2 days ago due to power utility upgrades. Power will be off again Wednesday 7am to 7 pm. Power is supposed to be off intermittently in the near future as the park upgrades its system. I stay at another park in the mountains which has had the power shut off for 3 days a couple of times by the electric utility due to wildfire risk from energized lines.

As I drove around the park earlier this morning I noticed the construction crew burying new electric cables had a tamping machine that was small engine powered. The honey wagon passed with a small engine on it.

MTPockets

California is leading the world towards a toxic meltdown when all those battery manufacturers waste, and old battery disposals leak into the water, food, animals, and poisen us all...

NYSUPstater

Sadly, NY will probly follow suit. Many have said that with all this push for solar, wind energy, all have a limited lifespan and are NOT recyclable and have to be buried someplace. On top of that, there is NO way enough power can be generated to meet the needs of usage. Do the Einsteins of this world even know where the power comes from to "charge" up the batts in cars and such? Ever wonder while driving a batt car that when you get close to end of chase where you'll be able to get charged back up and what if there are several in front of you already? Was at a campground this past w/e and owner said that one camper had a gas genny to charge up his batt car! Went onto say that he's going to expand another 150 sites and is considering putting in 100amp service to these sites. Both for the needs of RV's but to charge up batt cars as well.

wdk450

I'm not sure but the ban might be for 2 cycle engines, I don't think those fools know the difference
I did some more online research on the new law just now, and came up with the detail that the law bans all off-road small engines that are not "Zero Emissions". I guess this will depend on the definition of "Zero Emissions". I see certain small cars (mainly Hondas) that have California "Zero Emissions" stickers on their bumpers, and are thus allowed to use the High Density Vehicle express lanes on the freeways with less then 2 people in the car.

MTPockets

Actually, there is a good solution that is already in use in a number of places in Europe and California. Hydrogen powers converted diesel engines as well as new engines in trains and buses, and ships. Hydrogen emits zero polutants and is easily extracted from, among other things, water... good ole H2O... the H is hydrogen. I've actually used it and seen it used in small welders, prototype cooking grills, cars... the issue today is the cost in the small engines, but will in time get there. Of course, politics is at play, as it could kill all other forms if energy production. Check out Www.Ballard.com, just one of several companies involved with the large engines.