New Member - Re: Purchase of 2014 3010RE

GregP

My wife and I are retired and looking into semi-full time RV life for the next several years. We have researched a number of Fifth wheel units, and feel that the BH 3010RE would probably best suit our needs for the foreseeable future. I have seen comments by other posters regarding axle upgrades to other trailers. Is this something we should consider when ordering; or is it just "overkill". The trailer has a GVWR of 14000 lbs and comes equipped with two 6000 lb axles. Also, any recommendations on hitches? We will be towing with a Ram 2500HD with a Cummins 6.7 litre diesel and 6 speed auto transmission and a six and one half foot box.

jimtoo

Hi GregP,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You will get lots of opinions on hitches, axles, tires and suspension. I would recommend that you order the tire, wheel upgrade that I am sure is available. Depending on the hitch you get, if standard type with no airbags, then I would recommend an air supported pin box like Trail-Air. You will get more soon, so stay tuned.

Enjoy the forum and ask your questions.

Jim M

Garypowell

GregP,

we we have the 2013 3010 and think it is the best floor plan we have ever owned. I don't feel qualified to speak about axels as we have standard. We did upgrade to G614 tires because of previous blow outs on other units. We run just a hair over 14,000 pounds and the truck (2008 chevy HD Diesel 6 1/2 bed) is a little over too but it pulls easily and it all seems to work well together.

We we have about 10K miles on it with no problems.

Phatkd

We love our 3010RE! I load it with an average amount of items (We don't full time though) and my 2007 (Classic) 2500HD diesel pulls without a problem. We haven't switched tires out yet and the Blowmax tires that are on it have about 5000 miles on them. We will be replacing them this coming spring/summer.

Axles haven't given us any problems thus far. If I would do it all over again, I would still get the 3010RE, however I would have the factory add slide covers and the 6 point level up system and perhaps if they would do it,..have them pre wire for sat and solar.

Great unit all around!

Hippy

Hello Greg. You'll love and be happy with the Heartland Bighorn 3010re. We've had our 2013 Bighorn 3010re for a little over a year. I Have a 2010 Dodge Ram HD 4x4 Laramie 6.7 diesel short bed. A 16K Pullrite Superglide. The Dodge truck pulls the 5ver like it wasn't back there. It's a match made in heaven. My average mileage has been between 9 to 12 1/2 miles per gallon. I've been averaging 11mpg. Something to look for, the pin cover. When you make a right or left turn it can break. It'll hit the top side of the bed. Have the dealer trim it short just below the pin.

pegmikef

We just moved up from travel trailers to our first fifth wheel, a 3010RE, and love it. I read an awful lot about fifth wheels and options on this forum and spoke to owners at Heartland rallies and ordered options based on this. Level up, definitely. Upgraded axles (seems all the problems I read about involved the original marginal axles). Upgraded tires to G614s. Slide toppers, definitely (I am looking at all the wet leaves on mine right now). Other nice to have items we ordered were a queen size bed in place of the king size (makes bedroom larger), the combo microwave/convection oven, and the power reel for the power cable. My main dislike is the somewhat cramped dining area. I ordered the folding chairs and IMO I should have saved the money as they are now stored in my garage.

My dealer recommended the MorRyde hitch so that is what I ordered. Having nothing to compare it with, I like it. We have not really encountered much of this "chucking" I have heard about. We have a very comfortable ride when towing.