New owner, intros and a question

I everyone. I'm Roger and my wife Debbie and I live in the Denver, CO suburbs have just ordered a 2017 Bighorn 3160EL. We are excited and can't wait to put it to use. We plan to retire in May, 2017 and will hit the road shortly after that. I want to see a baseball game in every major league park and Deb wants to see all the national parks. The 2 goals seem to mesh quite well so we are anxious to get started!

My question is this - in preparing for our new adventure, we are planning to invest in some of the 'necessities' of RV life including an RV GPS, rear camera and TPMS system. Of course, each has its own monitor and I envision my dashboard looking like the cockpit of the space shuttle. How do you manage all this and still be able to see through the windshield?

This is a great forum and very active which I appreciate. I find myself spending considerable time here and I learn a great deal. In fact, this forum was a major factor in our decision to purchase a Bighorn product. We hope to meet many of you at an upcoming rally. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome to this awesome forum.
I know what you mean about having all the clutter in the cab. But there are ways to make that manageable.
The TPMS monitor can be very small depending on which brand you choose. I have the TST 507 which has a pretty small monitor and when charged it will last a long time, so no wires there.
I do not have an RV GPS so my Garmin is pretty small.
For my camera monitor I use the monitor of the radio to view it. My system is not wireless, but the wires are under the dash and not visible as they are hooked to the radio.

Since you will be doing a bunch of traveling across the country be sure to check out the Heartland Owners Club and its many rallies.
A list of the rally events can be found at the top of each forum page. Just click on the events tab.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Roger,

Congratulations on the Bighorn order and welcome to the Heartland Owners Family.

We've had a Garmin RV760LMT mounted on the Garmin beanbag support, sitting on the dash, slightly to the right of the steering wheel. I've got self-adhesive velcro strips under the beanbag to keep it stationary. In that position, it doesn't compromise the view out the windshield, but is close enough to line of sight that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to glance at it.

Our tire sensor is the TST. The monitor is a small form factor that sits on the center of the dash.

We also have a Weboost 4G cell amplifier in the well in front of the console in which my phone sits while traveling.

We're not as neat as the space shuttle; there are a lot of power and antenna wires.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Roger & Debbie:

Congrats on your new Bighorn!!!!!!!! As you have already experienced by your post, the HOC community will reach out and help in any way possible. Welcome to the Heartland Family and now we need to get you into the Heartland Owners Club. Consider joining and take advantage of all the Rally's across the US & Canada when you start your travels.

Safe Travels.

alwaysbusy

Hi Mr Roger,
I also have a TST product which is small and doesn't really require you to be able to see it as your driving, unless you prefer. I can't speak for all; however, with TST if any tire begins to overheat, increase or decrease PSI to a certain threshold, an unmistakable audible alarm is triggered. You won't get it confused with anything else and your radio is not going to cover it up as it is loud. I simply take the small screen and rest it inside the center console, it doesn't really have to be up on the dash. I don't have it wired direct as it takes a long time to wear down the batt. On the way down the east coast and back I only charged it once. It's preference but it will talk to you if somethings going south.

WBG

WBGavin
Congratulations on you new Bighorn. I know you will absolutely love it.

We also have a TST tire monitoring system and would not leave home without it.

In addition, w have the Voyager WVOS511 rear view camera system and are very happy with it. As you consider various camera systems, keep in mind that digital systems are far superior to analog systems. We have a 38' rig and the analog systems that we have tried have never worked. Since we made our purchase (three years ago) other digital systems have come out and are far less expensive. The only gripe I have regarding the Voyager system is that the resolution is adequate but not great. We find it to be very helpful, especially when driving on two lane roads (we do a lot of that here in the PNW).

Enjoy your rig and safe travels. Hope we can meet up at some point.

WBG

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have the camera monitor on the drivers side, by the pilar. So Tony can look at his side mirror and or the camera in the same basic direction. The gps is in the center. The tpms is down low in the center console, and it's my job as passenger to keep an eye on it, since it takes some time to watch it cycle through all the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

You've gotten some good advise on the camera, & TPMS, so I'll chime in on GPS. Cookie & Dan talked about the Garmin, and I'll X-3 on Garmin. They make great products, I own a few. A couple of years ago we bought Garmin's RV 760LMT, and not too long later they discontinued it (we love it & it works great). They replaced it with the RV 660 LMT, which is smaller, and has a few more features (LINK), personally I'll never own anything but a Garmin when it comes to a GPS.

'Lil Guy'

Congrats on your new BH. You need to check out and join the HOC. Great bunch of fun loving people with your same passion for RVing and tons of info to openly share. Our last 3 month trip was made better with the ability to stop in at various rallies going on to rest and visit friends and make new ones for life. This has to be the best benefit of owning any Heartland rig, the ability of joining the HOC.

I have the TST 507 TPMS with the amplifier. I also use the Garmin RV760LMT for our GPS. Your rig probably has the Furrion Rear camera mount prewired. Just plug and play and a great feature for passing and just knowing what is going on back there. Once you gather your goodies, you can began to neatly organize it all and clean up any clutter.

Congrats on your new rig and safe travels. Hope to meet you down the road. And again, check out the Heartland Owners Club, I promise you you'll be glad you did. Attend a few rallies and you can start to put faces to the people you meet here.
Don't be a stranger to the forum.

WBG

WBGavin
Forgot to mention that we have the TST 507 with the repeater and it works great. If you go with TST you have a choice of getting the 507 which means you will have to replace the batteries about once a year. The other model (I think it is the 505) is permanetly sealed and you have to send it in after 5 years or so, so that they can replace the batteries. If I had to do it over, I would go with the permanently sealed units. After being exposed to the elements for such a longtime, they tend to need a good cleaning anyway. TST does a great job, turning the units around. Your next choice will be to go with "Pass Thru" or non "Pass Thru" units. With the pass thru units, you can add or bleed air without removing the sensors. With non pass thru units, you have to remove the sensor prior to adding or bleeding air. I have some of each and much prefer the non pass thru units. They do not stick out as far, seem to be more robust and are better protected from the elements. Just my thoughts and Safe Travels.

macjj

A lot of good advice here as expected. Only thing to add is a "Low Clearance" feature to your choice of GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi, there is a add on you can download from lowclearacces.com, some have the feature built in. I was caught off guard once, had to turn around and detour over 100 miles to get to our destination. Whatever GPS you go for, select the lifetime map upgrade, changes are as often as wardrobe changes, and I have not found one that is 100% up to date

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Relayman

I everyone. I'm Roger and my wife Debbie and I live in the Denver, CO suburbs have just ordered a 2017 Bighorn 3160EL. We are excited and can't wait to put it to use. We plan to retire in May, 2017 and will hit the road shortly after that. I want to see a baseball game in every major league park and Deb wants to see all the national parks. The 2 goals seem to mesh quite well so we are anxious to get started!

My question is this - in preparing for our new adventure, we are planning to invest in some of the 'necessities' of RV life including an RV GPS, rear camera and TPMS system. Of course, each has its own monitor and I envision my dashboard looking like the cockpit of the space shuttle. How do you manage all this and still be able to see through the windshield?

This is a great forum and very active which I appreciate. I find myself spending considerable time here and I learn a great deal. In fact, this forum was a major factor in our decision to purchase a Bighorn product. We hope to meet many of you at an upcoming rally. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Hey Roger !! Welcome to Bighorn
ownership !!! We bought a 2017 3270rs and LOVE it !! I made some modifications to it in search of "Camper-Karma" LOL. I installed a Furion rear camera which works great BUT make sure you get the "Observation" camera...and not the "backup" model ( if you go furion).
I next installed a 42"tv on a slideout mount in the basement. I ordered an extendable plastic "stinky-slinky" storage tube to carry extra lengths of waste hose that i mounted under the camper next to the factory one. Also..i bought an under-camper spare tire mount line the one that comes with your camper...and modified it to carry the "blue-tank" portable sewage tank
f9bb5dc0c56e02211bd17f35ce4cd827.jpg
with us all the time, out of the way. ( some parks don't have sewer hook-ups). I also purchased a winegard G2+ portable dish for my entertainment on those rainy stay in days. This is a bit lengthy, but trying to get your creative juices flowing with a few "possibles". Have fun, and enjoy !!!

dkelly243

ownership !!! We bought a 2017 3270rs and LOVE it !! I made some modifications to it in search of "Camper-Karma" LOL. I installed a Furion rear camera which works great BUT make sure you get the "Observation" camera...and not the "backup" model ( if you go furion).
I next installed a 42"tv on a slideout mount in the basement. I ordered an extendable plastic "stinky-slinky" storage tube to carry extra lengths of waste hose that i mounted under the camper next to the factory one. Also..i bought an under-camper spare tire mount line the one that comes with your camper...and modified it to carry the "blue-tank" portable sewage tank
with us all the time, out of the way. ( some parks don't have sewer hook-ups). I also purchased a winegard G2+ portable dish for my entertainment on those rainy stay in days. This is a bit lengthy, but trying to get your creative juices flowing with a few "possibles". Have fun, and enjoy !!!

Not trying to hijack the thread. Relayman could you pm me some detailed pics of your outside tv setup? Also have a few questions about installation.

Thank you so much for all the replies! You folks are the bomb!

So far, here are my plans - Furrion observation camera, EEZ TPMS (any feedback on this vs other brands?), Garmin 760LMT GPS. I will put the TPMS monitor in an accessible but out of the way place to reduce clutter and mount the other monitors on the dash.

I'm in no hurry for the coach to arrive, since is it still plenty cold and frequently snowy in the Denver area. I'm moving from a 21' hybrid trailer to the Bighorn 3160 so I am adding about 10 or so feet to my tow length. A little nervous about pulling that length but then, I was nervous about pulling the hybrid the first few trips. Regardless, I would rather have my first few tows be on dry pavement. Sooooo, take you time, Heartland and build it right! ;) I'll wait. I need it by mid April though.

Thank you again for all your input and experience. It is greatly appreciated. I hope some day I will be able to give more than I take with this forum.

Roger

NewHopians

Congrats on the new BH

We have a 37SS and still waiting to take it out. Been little bad weather here in Sunny Arizona.

Paradise2

Where did you get your slide out for your tv and cost? Is there room for a 48" TV. Did you do the install yourself?

Relayman

Where did you get your slide out for your tv and cost? Is there room for a 48" TV. Did you do the install yourself?

...i purchased a MORryde
TV40-002H sliding tv mount. because it slides i mounted it on the rear wall of the 3270's "basement"
wall...i had the black tank vent pipe to deal with...which limited the size of my TV to a 40" so it would clear the pipe when slid in....and allow clearance to slide out of the access door. I mounted it myself. It costs about $200.00. I also.put an HD
direct tv reciever ( which I bought at campong world)in the bedroom..which made it necessary to "fish in " an HDMI cable from.the basement to the bedroom closet for the reciever. the wireway goes across the ceiling of the basement just above the door...and passes up into the bedroom via the carpeted "steps" under the window by the dresser ( which is held in by screws). onto the closet behind the washer dryer area ( which has a 12 x 12 access panel)...then i fished it across the bottom rwar ofnthe closet across to where the reciever shelf is( that was the tough part). you will need a 35 foot HDMI cable. I also purchased an rf remote so I could sit outside and control the channels,volume etc. good luck with your project. if you need further help email me kem53@sbcglobal.net.

larkinstuart

We have several questions on our new 2017, 3270, hope someone can help.
I have gone into the 5th wheel several days in a row and have found the radio going. I turn it off with the remote and the next day it's on again.
Why is that happening? I thought maybe there was a timer for the radio but can't locate one.
How do you operate the slides individually? I have located off door and door side. No buttons to push. Look like black knobs on a threaded spindle.

We have several questions on our new 2017, 3270, hope someone can help.
I have gone into the 5th wheel several days in a row and have found the radio going. I turn it off with the remote and the next day it's on again.
Why is that happening? I thought maybe there was a timer for the radio but can't locate one.
How do you operate the slides individually? I have located off door and door side. No buttons to push. Look like black knobs on a threaded spindle.

There is a remote for that unit. Make sure something isn't leaning on the remote causing it to activate.

Roger