New Ram 2500 CTD

'Lil Guy'

Went shopping yesterday for our new TV. Wanting to upgrade our TT to a 5er in the near future. Knowing I wanted to stay away from the DRW, I started looking at the 3500 SRW and just couldn't do it. I opted for the 2500 4X4 Lonestar pkg. It came with the 5th wheel towing prep should we opt for one. I was looking online at the Elkridge E289. It shows a dry weight of 8,287 with a hitch of 1725. I think that would be too much when loaded. The E285 is 7718 and 1260 on the hitch. Now I just need to find a rig I'm comfortable with that fits our new truck. I guess the proper way is to pick the rig and then the TV required. That option is gone.lol The max payload for this package is 2,980 and towing is 17,810. I want to add the fuel tank to the bed for 40 additional gallons. That is starting to sap the payload pretty quick. I'll see if it can handle my NT21FBS for a start. Anyway, done deal. No looking back. Love it so far but still really early to judge. Those Ram trucks are so good looking. Man, that 3500 DRW is a man's truck. I just couldn't justify that much truck for an everyday truck. BTW, final price on 2014 was 12K off of MSRP. Was going to wait for the 2015 later this month but got a pretty good deal.

Bohemian

Why not a 3500 SRW? You should add about 1,000 lbs payload for the exact same configuration.

cfulton

Have a '14 2500 with factory air suspension--pulling a 3010 Bighorn, full tanks, etc., with NO problems. Hardly know its there. You will love the truck.
Two trips to TX and back to west central MO --995 mile each way + several local 200 mile trips--10.9 hand calculated running the posted speed limit. 7600 total miles on the truck--crossed finger on improvement when broke in.
Enjoy your ride!

Rrloren

The Elkridge weighs under 10k with a pin wt. under 2k?? My Sundance weighs that much.
Your 2500 will handle that with no problems.

ncrzrbk

I have a 2012 CTD 2500 that I pull our Sundance 3400QB. You shouldn't have any problems I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

'Lil Guy'

With all of this being said, could I haul my NT21FBS without using the WDH? My receiver is 2 1/2" and comes with a reducer to 2". With the extra height of the receiver, I need to get some mods done to my WDH. Seems the 2500 should be able to just tow it with a 5" drop receiver alone. Since we'll be changing in the near future, I would like to just tow with the straight set up and not use the WDH. Any thoughts would e appreciated.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
With all of this being said, could I haul my NT21FBS without using the WDH? My receiver is 2 1/2" and comes with a reducer to 2". With the extra height of the receiver, I need to get some mods done to my WDH. Seems the 2500 should be able to just tow it with a 5" drop receiver alone. Since we'll be changing in the near future, I would like to just tow with the straight set up and not use the WDH. Any thoughts would e appreciated.

I just bought a new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD two weeks ago to pull our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, which weighs in around 8000 pounds.

The rear end is much higher than my previous 1996 Dodge Ram 100 4x4, and I had to lower the ball several inches (and $400 later) to get the front of the trailer down for level towing.

Problem is . . . now the hitch doesn't clear the curb when backing my trailer into the side yard.

But that new truck pulls that trailer like nobody's business!

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg

I've got a topper ordered . . . won't be in for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

My 2012 1500 Ram had no issues with the WDH in towing and backing into our driveway for loading. Even with the lower characteristics of the WDH compared to a 5" drop hitch. The tongue weight advertised for my TT is 390#. So even doubled, it probably wont be an issue towing. I doubt if it will set the rear of my new truck down at all so I've pretty much answered my own question. I was really wondering if it is better to tow with a WDH than a standard ball or if there is some other benefit with using the WDH?

JohnD

My 2012 1500 Ram had no issues with the WDH in towing and backing into our driveway for loading. Even with the lower characteristics of the WDH compared to a 5" drop hitch. The tongue weight advertised for my TT is 390#. So even doubled, it probably wont be an issue towing. I doubt if it will set the rear of my new truck down at all so I've pretty much answered my own question. I was really wondering if it is better to tow with a WDH than a standard ball or if there is some other benefit with using the WDH?

Don't leave home without it!

All it will take is a semi passing you on a windy day on the highway without the WD stuff to make you want to go get it installed right away!

Been there . . . done that!

JohnD

Ironically, when I was at the trailer hitch place the other day, one of the sales guys told me that my truck would be heavy duty enough to handle our trailer without the WD stuff and to just buy a straight non-adjustable drop-down ball mount.

But I just couldn't get past not having that safety net of the extra attachments of the trailer to the truck that the WD setup gives.

When I asked the guys the next day who were actually doing the work what they thought of going with just a drop down instead of using the WD stuff . . . they said "NO WAY!"

And I had to agree with them.

Everytime I see someone pulling a large bumper pull TT without the WD stuff (which I do see a lot these days), or with a vehicle that is obviously too small for the trailer they are pulling (which amazingly I also see a lot more than I should these days), I just shake my head in amazement that someone is willing to risk the lives of themselves, their family, and all of the other people on the road with them just to save a few bucks.

Now granted, I don't have to put nearly as much 'WD' into the frame of the truck now as I did with my old truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4) since the new truck does have a higher tow rating (and more than enough for my trailer) . . .

But not having the WD setup, to me, would be like saying "Who needs trailer brakes when the new truck has bigger brakes and are computer controlled and can handle the load!"

Even if I were pulling my 8000 pound Trail Runner with the biggest and baddest dually truck on the planet . . . I'd still have a WD hitch setup!

When you get your new 5th-wheel trailer, keep the WD stuff around just in case you get another bumper-pull TT . . . or at least charge extra for it with the sale of your current TT.

porthole

Retired
John, with your new truck, is the trailer rating based on using a WD hitch?
On my truck, the 16k rating is with WD, 12k without.
The fine print many people miss.

JohnD

John, with your new truck, is the trailer rating based on using a WD hitch?
On my truck, the 16k rating is with WD, 12k without.
The fine print many people miss.

Not really sure . . .

But I do know this . . .

I spent the extra dollars and got my WD setup for the new truck and trailer setup!

To me . . . piece of mind is more important than saving a few dollars!

I'll find out next week as we head out to the Colorado Heartland Owners Club Rally in Rifle, Colorado . . . on the other side of the Continental Divide!

NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg

Ironically, I have a topper ordered, but it won't arrive at the topper dealership until the day after we leave for the 2014 HOC Rally next week.