New Ram 3500 Towing Beast

Bones

Not sure about the earlier trucks but since I just read my manual I thought that I would post this.

Granted I have not used mine. But I skimmed through the book and the 2017 has a few different settings. The regular ride height is maintained at all times with no operator control, alternate trailer height lowers the rear 1 inch so the truck is level from front to back, there is a jack/tire changing setting for when you are jacking the truck off the ground, it prevents any adjustments to the air bag system. Finally there is a zero height setting. This is only to be used when the truck is being trailered or put on a flatbed, it takes all the air out of the bags and there is a warning about not adding weight while in this setting as damage to the bags may occur.

I know this system was new for the 2500 & 3500 trucks in late 2014 but there are big differences between them. The 2500 has no steel and all air bag rear suspension. The 3500 maintains the springs with assistance from the airbags. the bags will maintain the regular ride height up to GVW. So if the rear starts to sag under load it is a visual warning that the truck is overloaded.

It's the same as mine so there should be a button on the dash. I just want to add that I love this feature

szewczyk_john

yes the button is under the radio. When I press it now I only get an error message so that there in no weight on the truck.

Coming home from the dealership, we jumped on 68 and went through Uniontown to visit our oldest son at California University. I had never been on the stretch. Beautiful scenery with a fresh coating of snow.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Bones:I am confused as to why I would need to manually lower the truck for towing when it does it automatically? I know where the buttons are, but have yet any need for them. My rig has level up so between the RV and the truck it is pretty much a no brainer. The truck will adjust to the load either up or down without my hitting anything and the trailer will raise to the point where I unhooked last. Please explain why I would use them other than for a tire change or towing the vehicle via a tow truck?? My manual doesn't suggest I need to do anything when hooking up...

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
John, when are we all going to see this new RAM??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

The Alt trailer height is at your preference but will level out your rig and trailer when towing. It makes it easier to keep the trailer level with the truck. Everything is inline. The trucks are given the rake in the rear so that when you have weight on it it will actually sag with normal suspension. That does not happen when you have an air system. The rig will automatically raise or lower back to it's predefined height. In all towing situations the best mode is to have everything in a line level. If you have your truck hooked up to the trailer and have not pushed Auto level your set up will actually be at a very slight pitch because the truck will not sag. Hook your truck up to the trailer and walk back from it and take a picture of it from the side. The truck will go up from the front axle to the rear then it will pitch back down from there on the trailer axles.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I did not get the air suspension. But I manually do the same thing with my AirLift system. . When I hook the trailer up, I do not bring it up to its original rake height. I bring the rear up to where it is in line with the front. Bones, is that what you're sort of talking about?

Bones

I did not get the air suspension. But I manually do the same thing with my AirLift system. . When I hook the trailer up, I do not bring it up to its original rake height. I bring the rear up to where it is in line with the front. Bones, is that what you're sort of talking about?

Yes.

Bones

Here you go. I have Alt Ride height selected.

Ram 3500 stance.jpg

Sorry for the sun glare I couldn't find a better pic of a clear side shot.

Sarge

Went the same route - Except we wanted the MegaCab / Short bed combo.

Your new beast wont even notice the rig behind you....

porthole

Retired
John, it looks like your dealer is the only dealer that shows up on a web search with a 3500 DRW, and they only have one.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
John, it looks like your dealer is the only dealer that shows up on a web search with a 3500 DRW, and they only have one.

Our dealer had one in about 2-3 weeks ago. An all black Laramie Longhorn CC DRW with tons of chrome. It sat in the showcase spot for about eight hours and was gone.

Doublegranch

Bones:

I just visited the Ram dealer today and asked the question you brought up about the ALT button....according to the Ram dealer and my manual, no need to hit the ALT button as the 2016 Ram has two sensors in the bed that will correct the height of the truck...Not sure if the Rig is level and the truck is level as to why you would need to hit the ALT button....I will give it a shot on my next rally, but I have looked at the Rig in the past and it was level with the rig.....so not sure how to proceed as maybe you have a different air suspension than I do....I did check and it is a nitrogen bottle that does not need to be service unless there is a a leak or you change out the air bag or work on the system...

Bones

Bones:

I just visited the Ram dealer today and asked the question you brought up about the ALT button....according to the Ram dealer and my manual, no need to hit the ALT button as the 2016 Ram has two sensors in the bed that will correct the height of the truck...Not sure if the Rig is level and the truck is level as to why you would need to hit the ALT button....I will give it a shot on my next rally, but I have looked at the Rig in the past and it was level with the rig.....so not sure how to proceed as maybe you have a different air suspension than I do....I did check and it is a nitrogen bottle that does not need to be service unless there is a a leak or you change out the air bag or work on the system...

The two sensors that they are talking about are the leveling sensors that tell the truck where it is in relation to suspension geometry. Many companies sell these sensors. You have manual sensors that actuate and air valve and the newer digital sensors. The digital sensors are better and help keep the system closed. Every tractor trailer that has air bags has a leveling valve or sensor installed in it. They automatically adjust the truck left to right up or down depending on weight load and angles. None of this has anything to do with the Alt button. If your rig is level without using the alternate trailer height button then you don't need to use it. I chose to keep the truck as level as possible and adjusted my trailer to match such that all the main components are in a line. It is what I prefer. Nothing says your set up is wrong. I'm just trying to explain what the button is for and what it does. By the way. When I run in the alt trailer height mode my truck still adjust up or down all the time and will lower itself back down to my selected height once I unload the trailer's pin weight and it will stay in that mode until I tell it not to. I think we all have the same type of suspension. we may have different bags but it works the same.

If you choose to try it it will not hurt anything just hook up, stay in park, push the button watch the dash your truck will lower and then say Alt trailer height achieved. Once that shows up your golden. hop out and take a gander at how she sits in relation to your rig.

Doublegranch

Bones:

Thanks for you patience and understanding...I will give it a try on the April Rally....it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference....

I appreciate your help as I am not 100% up to date on how all this works....

Bones

Bones:

Thanks for you patience and understanding...I will give it a try on the April Rally....it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference....

I appreciate your help as I am not 100% up to date on how all this works....

Your welcome. If you have any more questions fire away.

Dave

szewczyk_john

This was not a deal breaker for me. The truck that I was set to by from a local dealer did not have this option. Further research led me to Dulles of Leesburg and their truck just happened to have this option and the deal was even better. I more options and a better color for less money, then they offered me more money on my trade even though they only saw pictures of my truck send from my smartphone.

I had a real hard time finding a truck in my area and thought that I was going to be forced to custom order one. So many dealers order a decent truck but then do not get the $100 option of 4.10 gearing, or they don't put the towing mirrors on the truck.

With all this being said, I am certain that the salesman or the dealership was trying to meet a quota or bonus for the deal I got. After we completed the negotiations on numbers a sales agreement was written up and signed off, he demanded that the deal be finished by 1/28 and he even put that into the sales agreement.

I also wanted you to know that the air bag leveling system is not something that you can play with or observe unless you have substantial weight in the bed. If I push the button with no weight in it, I get some error message that the feature is not operable without weight in the cargo area.

Also wanted to comment about how the cabin seems to have so little noise in it. I have been in plenty of trucks and most of them sound like your in a truck. Not sure if the Laramie trim adds any extra insulation or noise reduction qualities but I am very pleased with how quiet it is. That is until the premium speakers get turned up, my blues sound oh so good.

Only drawback I have so far is storage. Going from the Mega Cab to Crew Cab means I gave up all that storage behind the back seat. I actually have 2 milk crates full of stuff, plus 2 moving blankets and a 12 volt compressor that we carried that there that is no room for.