NEW-TO-ME 2016 285LX

Stormy61

Hi, all -
Will be taking possession of a 2016 Prowler Lynx 285 LX on August 19. It's been mostly used in the summer as a vacation getaway, and we'll be the third owners. We're fulltimers (I've been doing this almost 6 years), and it's going to be a significant space upgrade from our current 27 foot Skyline Nomad, which I have loved, but it's just not enough space for two adult fulltimers with full time jobs and several active hobbies, not to mention a cat.

I'd love to hear from anyone with advice about living with a slideout for the first time. I know nothing about how to use or maintain them properly.

Also, the tires on this rig were obviously brand new when it got towed to its current home. But having sat in one spot on them for 8 years, I can't help but think we should probably change them out with new ones again, before pulling it from southern New Hampshire to northern West Virginia. Part of me thinks I could get away with having a local tire company pull one and unmount it to check for permanent flat spots or internal scaling. I'd love to save the $ for four new tires if not needed, but it seems a chance to take in potential destruction of the rig if something blows.

Your thoughts, please? And be kind...I'm not stupid, just asking if anyone else thinks these ones can be salvaged. I got underneath and looked at them very closely. On top, they look fabulous. The rubber looks and feels brand new -- still dark, no visible cracks or checking -- and they've been covered. And yet...

Thanks for any advice!

2 Prowler Door Side.jpg

rhodies1

Replace the tires. They are too old to trust. 5 to 7 years max life span whether they were run in the highway or setting. No doubt they are Towmax STR tires…also known as Blowmax.
You just spent money to buy your unit. Don’t scrimp on tires and have or more blow and rip the side off your trailer. Also think of yourself and family and their safety.