New to the forum, got some questions

herefishy

Hi all, just thinking of a Bighorn 3055rl, and can't see one in our vicinity, so maybe you could give me some info? What are the little drawers on the countertop? Do you know the distance from the ground to the bottom of the pin box? Has anyone tried to get a factory order to build them a shelf next to the bed? Pretty trivial stuff, actually, just curious. I did see a thread on alternatives to the shelf next to the bed, but it sure is nice. I actually built one over our bed on the old trailer and don't know how we'd get along without it, but would like to avoid it. Nice meeting you all, enjoying the forum.

jbeletti

The drawers are a single cabinet door. When you open it, there is a shelf in the center. Most people use it as a spice cabinet.

The shelf next to the bed is something best allowing your dealer to add as Heartland doesn't do much custom work.

Not sure on the measurement. Others will weigh in. Let us know what truck you plan to town with (year, brand, model, DRW/SRW, SB/LB, Diesel/Gas).

Jim

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I could probably help answer your question about the height of the pin box from the ground. First, I would need to know if you mean the minimum height with the landing gear fully retracted or with some extension. The height of the pin box from the ground is directly related to extension and retraction of the landing gear. The height will change as the landing gear are raised and lowered.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I don't have my trailer hooked up to the TV, but I think the OP is really intrested in the height so he can check out a TV. Some Pickups beds are real high.

BC

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I would want to know the height of the pin when the 5th wheel is sitting level. With our Big Country sitting level in the driveway, (although driveway is not perfectly level) the pin box is about 50 inches from ground level. Not an exact measurement but maybe it will help the OP to have a ballpark figure!

Best Wishes!

caissiel

Here sitting level the Pin box saddle is also 50" from the ground and the bottom of the front section sits at 61" from the ground.
This would be the section that sits over the truck box sides. Therefore you can easily have the 5th wheel sadde sit 5" lower then the truck box sides.

That is the way I have mine set on the F250 4 X 4 when I am unhooked, and its the same height when I backup to hookup.
When the weight is on the truck it drops the front a bit and hardly see the leveling foward.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I will make sure our 3055RL is level and make a measurement for you this morning. We tow with a 2005 F-250, SRW, Diesel. Truck has "Camper & Towing" packages. We added Firestone Air Bags and they allow the truck and trailer to ride level with no sag. Still using the DrawTight 16K hitch we had with our previous 5er. No problems in 2 years with approximately 16,000 towing miles. I'm lovin' it!

I will try to post a pic of the interior of the spice cabinet over the counter for you.

Our 3055RL is a 2009 and there are shelves on both sides of the King Size Bed. I will post pics of them as well.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
The Pin Box is 49 1/2" at the level point. Hope this helps.

Here are the pics of the spice cabinet and bedside shelves.

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 43
  • 141.jpg
    141.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 44

rpkeida

Alaska Wilderness
Remarks about the 3055rl model. We have 2008 3055rl, and use a F-350 Diesel SRW with the increased 11,400 GVW, 16,000 lb Reese hitch and the unit sits very level when hooked up to the truck - which keeps the weight pretty even on both 5th wheel axels. It looks like the pin box on the 5th wheel has some adjustment capability so your dealer should be able to deal with any height issue you are concerned about. As for the 3055RL, we have been VERY satisfied with the unit, and it has served us well without any major problems. One consideration on the floor plan - we like the fact that you can make a short stop while traveling, use the entire kitchen, dining table, fridge, microwave, bathroom, bed, without bumping any slides out. After over 25,000 miles of traveling, that is a nice feature. Recommendation: once you get your unit, loaded and ready for travel, fill your fresh water tank, propane, and your truck fuel tank, then run it across some scales - most truck stops (Loves, Pilot, etc. have scales and get 2 weights - the total of everything together, and the weights of each axel. Unhook the 5th wheel, then weigh the truck by itself, then check the weights against your truck and 5th wheel limits.
Modifications that we made: 1. Removed the closet shelf, and installed a very heavy duty (1/2 oak plywood) closet "organizer" that gave us more hanging rail space, drawers, etc. The shelf brackets/hanging rod that came with the unit just wasn't strong enough to support our clothes weight while traveling. 2. REPLACED the "china bomb" load range e tires with some heavy duty load range g 14 ply tires. 3. Added the Rieco Titan heavy duty electric jacks. 4. Installed a Honda 3000 generator in the bed of the pickup. Other than that, the unit has been perfect for the 2 of us (we are not full timers). Good luck with your new unit, and this forum is a great place for more info.

herefishy

Appreciate the replies. Nice to know about the little drawer/shelves, andd will ask the dealer about building some shelves. Yes, the question about the pin box was in relation to the tow vehicle, a 2009 diesel 2500 chevy 4x4 - wish we at least didn't get the z71 package, which adds another inch+ to the sides. They are at 57 now, which gives us 4-5 inches of clearance. I'm concerned because we bumped the bottom of our bedroom on the side a while back and that is a frightening thing to see and hear. Is there any way to raise the trailer? Anyone else hit the bottom of their bedroom?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can either raise the pinbox or the hitch. All GM trucks have a higher bed side, by 1 1/2" after the 07 1/2 year model. Lots of people have that truck and no problems towing HL products.

herefishy

If you raise either the pin box or the hitch, you raise the front of the trailer, not the whole trailer, and I don't know what the risk of running with an unlevel condition is. Anybody tow with the trailer front raised?

caissiel

From what I read the top of the box is 57" an my trailer bottom when level is 61"
When the trailer load is on the truck just let it drop a bit on the springs, mine goes down 2" or more so if the box also come down the top will be around 55" loaded and the trailer will be level at 61"

The only problem will be that you will unhook with the front high by 2" and then drop it on the landings to level it when parked.

I always set my trailer to be level when I take it off the truck, so far I have been lucky with all my TV's.
So that when taking the truck off and back on is with the least of landing adjustments.