New to the Heartland Community

Diveman

Hello Everyone,

I would like to offer this note as an introduction. My name is Mike, my wife is Hope and my daughter is 6 and my son is 3. We are from Toronto, ON, Canada. I have been camping since I was 6 years old and my kids have been camping since they were infants. I was a die hard tent camper but after years and years (and getting married) my wife said that she would like to "camp" but not in tents or on the ground. We started off with a pop-up for her and she loved it but decided that it wasn't big enough. It was also very old and had no amenities. We upgraded to a large pop-up with all the bells and whistles and we enjoyed that one for a season and then she started seeing all the hybrids. We then went that route. That brings us to the present day.

Yesterday we decided to upgrade from a Hybrid trailer to a 2012 Heartland Trail Runner 26BHS travel trailer. We are very excited to go out and do some camping but March in Toronto doesn't lend itself to camping. We are so excited, however, that we are thinking of loading up the trailer and the family and heading south to a warmer climate. We are considering Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach. If anyone has any comments on camping in March in either of these locations (or even another location) then I would be eternally grateful.

I look forward to participating in these forums.

Cheers,

Mike

jimtoo

Hi Mike and Hope,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Sounds like you have lots of experience camping. I think almost all of us started out the same way. Check out the Heartland Owners Club benefits and for rallies in your area or where you will be traveling.

Enjoy the forum and your new Trail Runner.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Welcome to the forum, Mike & Hope. Anyways, we haven't camped in Myrtle Beach but have visited there in March. Weather is definitely better than Toronto (or S.E. Michigan), but not quite beach weather. Can be a tad breezy and chilly, then warm up nicely in the afternoon. Still good for long beach walks. The touristy stuff isn't quite up to full speed, either, but it's still good. Depends on what activities you're looking for.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the new rig! We didn't start RVing until our kids were grown...something we regret after experiencing all the fun! Enjoy them while they are young, they grow up really fast!

Best Wishes!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
First off let me also welcome you to the Heartland Family - you will not regret the upgrade just being able to stop for lunch in the RV makes long trips enjoyable.

I just took a look at the National Weather for Norms as well as record temps - V.B. Virgina will not be "hot" by any means but it will be comfortable with the average high temp around 60 and the average low around 45. Record lows are just about at the freezing mark the last two weeks of the month, so it is highly unlikely you will encounter a deep freeze in that time period. The Atlantic coast can be a bit breezy this time of year as John said - think Kitty Hawk and the Wright brothers...

Hope to see you down the road at a rally.

Kevin

Willym

Welcome to the forum Mike. Before I retired, we used to take the trailer down to South Carolina and Georgia in early April most years. We stayed in Charleston and Savannah a few times and always had great weather, but it was a good two day drive from where we were in SW Ontario.

Also check out the chapters/rallies section and maybe sign up for the Ontario chapter rally in Kingston this year (September) You'll have a great time, I'm sure.

Diveman

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I am really looking forward to our first camping trip in about a weeks time. I haven't been camping in March with the family before but hey, when you get the itch you gotta scratch! :) We decided on Virginia Beach so that we can make the trip not too long for the kids. We are going to stop in a hotel halfway down and then stay at Holiday Travel Park (http://www.campingvb.com/) Now I just have to figure out the best route to take.

Any suggestions?

Mike

PeternLiane

Congratulations and welcome!!!!! We came from a SOB Hybrid Trailer too. We're very happy that we made the switch. We have only made one trip in our North Trail before winter hit. Very excited for the season to start soon. We only have 6 more weeks till our first camping trip of the year.

Wishing you the very best on your trip. I hoping that we'll make it down there some day. I hope that you have that best of times.

JJnVA

Hello and welcome, Mike & Hope. Know you are anxious to be camping in your new rig, but wish you could hold off your trip to VA Beach until May 18-20 when the VA Chapter rally is going on at Holiday Travel Park. Almost 40 rigs already signed on and the weather should be so much warmer! Did you check out the 2012 Virginia Chapter Rally thread?

You asked about best route to take....sorry I can't help you with the northern states route planning, but do check out this thread for info on the best route once you get to Virginia: Virginia Beachy Rally- Route Planning

Have a wonderful trip whenever and wherever you do travel. What a terrific experience it will be for your young children...memories they will always treasure when they are older!

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Club. You are now officially a member. See your side bar.:D

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Mike and Hope
Welcome to the Heartland Group. I am sure you will enjoy. Hope to meet you soon ON has an active chapter and their Annual Rally is the Weekend after Labour Day. See all the information on the portal at the right hand side.
Welcome and safe travels.
Wayne and Gayle