New to this Forum and to Heartland RV

D_BTravelers

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been a forum member elsewhere for several years. We will be picking up our new 2016 Big Country 3650RL this week after they install the washer/dryer and a Flex-Air pin box. We have been pulling a 35' Rockwood Windjammer since 2014 and have many great camping experiences in it. But we are going to travel even more in the near future and wanted to move up to a FW. I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD Duramax, dually, crew cab to pull the Big Country, and can't wait to get it out and camped. Anyone out there have one of this model Big Country and care to share your experiences? We do the PDI Friday and if there is something I should pay particular attention to, I would really appreciate a heads up.

D_BTravelers

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome to the forum!

You'll find a whole lot of Heartland owners in Texas that hang around these parts.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new to you "condo on wheels" and Welcome to the forum. We had a 2012 BC 3650 which we lived full time in for over 2 years and loved it. Do check out joining the HOC (Heartland Owners Club) and attending rallies. Great way to meet other HL owners. Enjoy and safe travels.

olcoon

Welcome & congratulations! Check out the "Tools" tab above, and then click on the "User Guides" for a PDI list. There are serval other useful documents there.

jimtoo

Hi D_BTravelers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome from the West Texas Chapter! We have a North Texas and South Texas Chapter as well.

Are you buying from ExploreUSA? They are one of the largest Heartland Dealers in Texas. We bought our 2016 Big Country 4010RD from the Mesquite location.

As others have said, do a thorough PDI and do not let them rush you, even though you've owned an RV before. It's easy for the walkthrough tech to say things like, "here are your dump valves, they operate just like on your trailer..." and try to move on. Make sure they show you how to operate everything on the rig, and you should try it, as well, don't just let them show you and move on.

Don't take delivery/sign off until they fix any problems you find, no matter what. They will have a strong sense of urgency before delivery, and not near as much, after you drive away.

Congrats!

Hope to see you at a rally soon!

Erika

lynndiwagoner

Congratulations. We've got the 2014 3650RL and really like the floorplan. I've had very few problems and it's very livable. You've got the right kind of tow vehicle so traveling should be a breeze. Enjoy.....

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Welcome to the forum! There are lot's of folks on here that can help you with just about anything Heartland. Please consider joining the Owners Club too! Happy travels!

D_BTravelers

Thanks and yes to comprehensive PDI before purchasing

Hello and thanks for the welcome. Thanks Erika for the advice on PDI. Actually the DW and already made a pre-PDi inspection trip and gave the salesman a typed list of items needing attention. He is going to give it to the guys so they can combine it with their normal prep. We will go over Friday and do the full-blown PDI with water in the tank, opening valves, operating all electrical outlets, checking washer/dryer operation, cycling the LCI leveling system, etc. I think they were allowing 2 hours for the PDI...maybe but probably not. If all goes well we will bring the Big Country home, if not, they can keep it while they do get everything fixed. While we are still newbies after only 3 years camping we both had parents that had RVs and know a lot of the issues they can have. I also am a avid reader/contributor in a couple of other forums and have listened to those that didn't do proper PDIs before signing on the dotted line. Luckily I have a local company that can do almost all warranty work and gets it out on a timely basis vs. the dealers.

TxRoadWarrior362

Welcome, from another Texan. Congrats on your new Big Country!

Make sure to do a complete roof inspection.

What part of Texas are you from?

Tim

D_BTravelers

We live in beautiful downtown Watauga, northeast suburb of Fort Worth, south of Keller. LOL! So if you laughed, you have been to Watauga. Haven't retired yet, but work from home anyway, so it's not a big deal to work from the RV if I want. Last big trip to out west I sent a photo taken from the front door of my "office" of the Grand Tetons to the girls in the main office. They didn't think it was all that funny as they sat in their cubicles. :p

And yes on the roof inspection! I will really be looking at this one. We just replaced the roof on our 2014 Windjammer because the membrane started pulling up from the glue and substructure. No damage, no water leaks, just not enough glue under the membrane, and it finally started bubbling up like an old convertible top when we pulled down the road. Found a great repair place and I highly recommend Texas RV Guys out on Blue Mound Road, just off Highway 287. Josh Baker is excellent and worked with our stupid National General insurance to get it fixed.