New Tow Vehicle

lwmcguir

I just ordered the same 2012 F350 4WD Crew Cab SWR and will be pulling a Bighorn 3670....I would love to hear your experiences so far. I just could not bring myself to get the DRW.

We have the same truck (2011 with 20 inch wheels/tires) and would purchase it again. No problems towing anything we have put behind it. Drives like a dream and is very comfortable on long trips. The 3.55 seems to be a good fit. We have a 4.30 in another Ford which is fine for heavy towing. With the 6 speed transmisson the 6.7 never has a problem going up Mountains or long hills. We have also found the braking system works very well letting the computer do the work. Have used the manual feature when going down short steep hills which works well also. You will absolutely love the truck.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We haven't pulled the trailer yet (other than a few feet when I checked the height alignment of the new hitch yesterday), but the truck drives like a dream and on a recent 20 mile highway drive I got 20.1 MPG. Averaging 16.0 city/hiway as we near the end of the first fillup. Love the big tank in the dually (until I have to fill it up:eek:).

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be careful of the side of the bed. We had an incident while pulling into a Racetrac gas station to get diesel. The driveway had a large dip and a hard right to get to the pump. When I made that the hitch hit the top side of the bed and cut the plastic cover on the top of the bed side.:mad: The worst part of it was I had to listen to DW say "I told you not to try it" for the rest of the day :rolleyes:. It would not of happened if there was not such a dip. Anyway, it was an easy fix as the part just snaps on and off. But I found one Ford dealer wanted $208 for that part and another Ford dealer where I bought it only charged $119 for it. Both had to order it from Ford.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I plan to order the same truck to pull my 2012 Key Largo. I have one question that may seem stupid but here goes, If you have DRW and 4X4, is it really 4X4 or is it 6X6. Do all four rear wheels drive plus the two front wheels?

mmomega

AnyTimer
Still only have 4 axles so the 4x4 is more accurate. Like wearing 2 pair of shoes on the same foot, somehow... :)
6x4 could fit, 6 wheels and 4 powered axles, like 4x2 4 wheels 2 powered axles... ? :confused:

Edit://
Just found this tidbit of FYI after wondering myself.
Large American trucks with dual tires on the rear axles and two driven axles are officially designated as 4×4s, despite having six driven wheels, because the "dual" wheels behave as a single wheel for traction and classification purposes, and are not individually powered. True six-wheel drive vehicles with three powered axles such as the famous "deuce and a half" truck used by the U.S. Army has three axles (two rear, one front), all of them driven. This vehicle is a true 6×6, as is the Pinzgauer, which is popular with defense forces around the globe.

porthole

Retired
We haven't pulled the trailer yet (other than a few feet when I checked the height alignment of the new hitch yesterday), but the truck drives like a dream and on a recent 20 mile highway drive I got 20.1 MPG. Averaging 16.0 city/hiway as we near the end of the first fillup. Love the big tank in the dually (until I have to fill it up:eek:).

Was that downhill most of the way?

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Gus, I don't doubt your 20 miles per gallon on the highway. In fact when you get a few more miles on it, it might do even better. My 2010 gets 20 at 70mph empty. Drops to 18 at 75. The 2011 are supposed to do even better than that.
Your city mileage is already much better than mine. I am lucky getting 13 around town.

I do wish I had the bigger tank though.

mmomega

AnyTimer
My DRW gets 13 and some change around town and I'm lucky to see 17 on the highway.
Going to check my main trip meter, haven't reset it since I bought it, I always change the second one for trips. So the first one should show estimated gallons used and mpg.

Vtxkid

We are getting 15.5 in mixed town/ hwy and I'm seeing 19.5 strickly Hwy... Loaded w/ Rv going to Fla. last week had us at 10.0 Mpg at 65 mph. We only have 6,000 miles on our duramax so I am hoping to get a couple more miles out of a gallon of fuel down the road...

boatto5er

Pulled the trailer approximately 20 miles last night - what a difference from the old tow vehicle! First of all, the new hitch was great, no chucking or tugging at all. Got 12 MPG, a two MPG increaes from the 2008 F250. Almost forgot the trailer was back there for awhile - very smooth. All I can add is the 6.7 Powerstroke is a beast for pulling.

boatto5er

240 mile round trip tow to Williamsburg, VA and back this weekend. There's not much I can add to what I've already said. This is one awesome vehicle:eek:. Off to Myrtle Beach in 3 weeks. Oh yea - 12.2 MPG this weekend.

porthole

Retired
Gus, there are tons of neat features with the new truck. Wait till you get stuck at a light going uphill. The computer will hold the brakes for about 2 seconds when you take your foot off the throttle.