New Truck Bed Installed

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
$20,000 for a hauler bed and they keep your old bed! Holey crap!!!!!! Was this a one off custom Aluminum bed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

porthole

Retired
Not one off, aluminun, jig built. But custom to me with my options. And that was the "loaded" price. Plus a bit extra to match the tri-coat paint I have on the truck.

I was trying to convince myself that if I got it down to 18 I might go for it. But when I told him I would bring the truck out without the bed, figuring I would sell it here, I was told, oh no, the price includes us keeping the bed.

The hauler beds are best off in the situation that started this thread or you order a pickup with the bed delete option. Which is not the same thing as a cab and chassis.

SilverRhino

I have Been trying to guess myself how much such a thing would cost. How close Is my five grand guess. Also, was there any help from an insurance company.
Thanks in advance is an awesome truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You are pretty close with the $5k....... Larry's beds like this are in the $7500 - $8000 range. It was going to cost nearly $8k to have the body shop "rebuild" my box with OEM panels. I was very concerned about how well this would turn out, and they were not real excited about doing it so they talked to the insurance company and we cash settled for the cost of the re-build.

I too had looked at aluminum and fiberglass beds by other manufacturers and could not justify the $20k it would take to put one on my truck. For less than half that you can have a Herrin Hauler that is all steel, very well constructed and built to your specs......Seemed like a very logical and cost effective solution to me. Hauler beds are not for everyone, because you do give up the versatility of your box......I'm too old to worry about hauling things in my pickup, other than our BC! I can still haul 4 X 8 sheets of plywood and lumber I would need for wood working projects, so I am very happy with my decision.

SilverRhino

I'm surprised that you are only using a 16k hitch on that new bed...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OK.........You are going to have to enlighten me on the correlation between the bed and the hitch capacity? Weight of trailer and hitch capacity is what I have always considered......