Newbee mistake - Filled the black instead of the fresh water tank

twolanesoffreedom

TwoLanesOfFreedom
We had to take on water before going into the campground and with a few campers behind me already, I let myself become careless and connected the fresh fill water to the black tank, thinking I was filling up the fresh water. I kept checking the gauges on the inside and wondering why the gauges weren't lighting up. When I saw water coming from beneath the camper I turned it off and the light bulb in my head turned on. Silly Newbee mistake. This is a brand new Big Horn 3160EL and we had an issue where the grey water pipes going into the tanks weren't sealed correctly and when the tanks filled, instead of coming up into the shower, it started dripping below the camper. This was fixed under warranty. My question now is that, when I filled my black tank with fresh water, shouldn't the water have filled up and either tried to come through the toilet or perhaps the vent on top of the camper? Thinking I may have another loose fitting, but wondered if anyone knew if there was some overflow or any other reason that a full black tank would leak below the camper.

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi twolanesoffreedom,

Sometimes the path of least resistance is the roof vent, sometimes the toilet, sometimes it comes out the underbelly, probably via the fittings. When you overfill the tank, it expands and strange things can happen. I don't think there's a built-in overflow however.

jbeletti

twolanesoffreedom - sorry about your issue, but you're not breaking new ground here. SO MANY of us have done this "at least once"!

As Dan mentioned, you just don't know where it's going to come out. I've had the pressure of the water eventually breach the seal of the toilet and come up into the bowl and overtop. In another unit, I've had the black tank contents come out the rooftop vent and over the patio awning (yuck!).

I've read where others have had their commode nearly bust off the closet flange where commode bolts to the floor. And still others have had a fitting break loose at the top of the tank.

You're best bet is to try to take a look at the top of the tank. I can't remember if the tank is on top of a gray tank or below one. You may be able to remove your utility wall and see the pipe from the bottom of the commode and follow it to the tank from up top. If you find all is well there, then maybe drop the underbelly and examine the fittings and valve at the output of the tank.