Newbie Necessities

Ladiver

Good morning all,

I finally got confirmation that our new 3100 will be delivered on June 16th!!!! Now I need to figure out what tools I *NEED*. Reminder, we are new to camping and towing (anything can help :)).

I am sure the list is long, so let's try and keep it simple. What are the necessities in a Cyclone (any RV) tool box? I am not going to be building any tree houses or furniture along the way. I would like the tools that will keep us moving if something breaks. Are there any RV specific tools, like specific size wrench or torx?

Tools
Screw Drivers (Phillips and Flat)
Wrenches
Pliers
Hammer
Rubber Mallet??
Tape Measure
Level
Cordless Drill

Misc
Step Stool

Thanks,

Jeff

danemayer

Hi Jeff,

You'll find it useful to have a Volt-Ohm Meter, a wire cutter/stripper kit with connectors, and a selection of 12V fuses will come in handy.

You can never have too many flashlights.

A torque wrench is needed to tighten lugnuts several times the first 200 miles and again when you have a wheel off for any reason.

Allen wrenches.

A 6 - 9" hex bit to manually operate the hydraulics motor if you ever have an electrical failure.

I'm sure others will add to the list.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't forget the square head 'screw'driver. Most of the screws on the RV will have the square head. Also a small hammer, a foldup saw (to cut branches) velcro, duct tape, plastic ties, Rescue Tape and some plastic baggies (to store things.) Keep in mind in this country you will never be far from Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, Alco, Dollar General, True Value or even 7-11. The most important thing to bring is a manual can opener. And don't forget money (real or plastic).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The square head screws are a # 2 bit. The best advice I can give you.....is keep it simple. Only buy what you need to start camping and the KEY WORD IS CAMPING. Keep glass cups and glasses to a minimum. Go to Wally World and buy things you need. Buy silverware, plates, plastic glasses, coffee cups, paper plates and holders, wash clothes, towels, extra undies, socks, shirts, coats, some shoes and normal stuff you have in your kitchen at home. You get the picture and leave those things in the coach. You will figure it out. Every time you got out, keep a list that way when the "RATS" we dont have this statement comes out, you put it on the list and get it. Remember, the drawers in your coach are not as big as your S/B....so some things you buy need to be a little smaller than normal. Always keep heavy things in the lowest drawers. Lite weight pots and pans are the best bet. You are pulling a rolling earthquake house behind you.

DW_Gray

When I got my Cyclone, I didn't listen well to a book I got and ended up with way more than I needed. I'd recommend getting the briefcase size tool case with the basic tools (metric too). You need the square driver for screws. I do recommend a cordless drill. That's been handy several times. Then buy any additional tools as you learn you need it.

I got a big heavy toolbox and I'm sure I haven't used at least 80% of what's in it. Don't buy things just because you think you might need it. I've always been within driving distance to get something I didn't have. And sometimes my RV neighbor has been kind enough to loan me what I didn't have.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jeff,

I'm going to second the whole idea that you can get too much stuff - I've been camping for over 30 years and in an RV for the past 15 years. I still find from time to time that there are things that I don't have. But as Dave said often someone will have the tool that you don't - you do just have to ask.

The one thing that I did not do my first 1/2 year of RVing was have a "kitchen" I started out with packing from my home kitchen into the RV ... that worked fine until the first time that I thought my DW had done it and She thought I had ... we got to our camp ground and we had no kitchen, no pots, pans, dishes, utensils no coffee mugs ... oh it was an ugly morning, me without coffee... So off to wally world we went to purchase paper - and we outfitted our Rig with everything we needed before the next Trip... I'm still using the same stuff today ( except for the silverware - my daughter took that for College and I never got it back )

Welcome to the Heartland Family - you will find that there are a great bunch of very helpful folks here - We are coast to coast!

Kevin

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just remember when you go to the grocery or general mdse store you will more than likely have to buy two of everything. i.e. two packs of paper towels two toasters etc.

Ladiver

Thanks everyone for the insight of everything. I just got one of those small briefcase style craftsman mechanics sets. I think it has most anything we will use regularly. I will definitely double check the #2 square bits. If not in that kit, I know I have some at home I have never used. We picked up another small kit, looks like a tiny tool box, but it has small separated compartments that we will put fuses and other small parts in. We are really trying to stay minimal, but have the necessities. You are all right about being able to go get something if you need it.

My wife is also very list oriented. We have a list going already of what is going in the trailer to stay and what needs to be packed for each trip. Just like on vacations, we have a list for tropical travel, a list for Europe and a list for weekend Vegas trips!

Kevin, it is funny how you never had a kitchen for the first 6 months. We don't even have a trailer and I am sure we have all the kitchen we will ever need! The party can always be on our party deck!

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Kevin, it is funny how you never had a kitchen for the first 6 months. We don't even have a trailer and I am sure we have all the kitchen we will ever need! The party can always be on our party deck!

It was funny but not fun - my wife told me that she did not want to go out and buy a new set of dishes, pots, pans and silverware to let them sit in the camper all year ... so every time we went camping for a weekend we had to raid the house for all the kitchen wares... not fun at all... she lost her argument when we had to spend a week eating off of paper and using plastic... - Right now the only thing that my mobile kitchen lacks is a good set of wine glasses...

Kevin

4ever

Don't forget a couple of wheel chocks and some boards or plastic blocks for putting under the leveling jacks if the site is not level.

Gas20

Sam's has nice little tool set with sockets and wrenches and I think a couple of screw drivers and it comes in its own carrying case. I think it is under fifty dollars. Good luck.

wiredawgchief

I recommend purchasing an RV repair book for little things when you're out in the rough. I buy extra sewer hose and fittings. I like the clear 45' fittings so I can see when the sewer water starts to run clear when draining/rinsing, a couple sets of warning road triangles. I recommend getting a President's Club membership at Camping World and get a power protector/surge protector. Some RV parks have bad power, particularly low voltage that can burn your A/C and electronics up. Go on Heartland website and you and your wife read the operator/service manuals so you are familiar with the components and their operation. I'm sure lots of folks will chime in as well. Congrats and welcome. Ron

oldmannj

The one thing I don't see and seem it's always a necessity is hose washers for the water hookup. They seem to ALWAYS need replaced. I carry one pack of regular flat washers and one with the screen for the hoses. ED

VAbow

I would install a surge protector (hardwired Progressive EMS). You can not camp if your power is at risk.

evolvingpowercat

One 10 or 12 inch Vice Grips can come in handy
Multi-way bike tool if you are going to carry bicycles
Portable 12V air pump to top up tires and use with bikes
Non contact voltage tester to check for dangerous voltage on RV when using shore power or generator and to trouble shoot power
Sicissors
Folding saw - handy if you ever want to burn dead tree limbs laying around the camp side if camping in forests or state parks. In Kansas they actually encourage us to gather and burn the dead wood on the ground that falls out of the trees over the winter to make mowing easier

wiredawgchief

A couple more things to carry in the truck: a high quality trucker air gauge and an infrared thermometer. Check your air cold before leaving and every day before starting out. Check tire temps immediately every tine you stop. I carry both high quality 12volt and small Craftsman electric air compressors. Tires are a critical factor in the safe operation of your rig. Cheers, Ron.