Newcomers

Hi All,
We're new to the Heartland Forum and would like to introduce ourselves. We're Frank and Charlotte Ziegler from Missouri. We've been pulling 5th wheel trailers for 20 years and just purchased a 2012 Big Horn 3685 RL. We've had the Big Horn for 3 months and haven't been able to use it much, but plan to head South after the holidays. We're anxious to enjoy our new RV and looking forward to the Heartland Forum.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Frank and Char, welcome to the Heartland Forum and Heartland Family. This is a great place.
Be certain to check out all the Heartland Rallys. There are a few in your area.
Be sure to look out for other Heartlanders on your way south.
Where are you headed? If it's Texas there are a couple of events down there in Feb.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome to the forum and being a proud owner of a Big Horn. Hopefully we will cross paths soon down the road.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We were warned you were coming!! Congratulations. as mentioned consider attending some rallies and I'm sure Neil and Sharon have already told you about the benefits of HOC.

tcfake613

Welcome to the forum! We just ordered a 3685! What do you like/dislike about the unit so far? We loved the layout... to us it is almost perfect. Having a tough time waiting until delivery date!

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Frank and Charlotte,
Welcome to the Heartland Forum and the Bighorn family. I am sure Neil has mentioned the Owners Club, hope you consider joining. Our Missouri Chapter will be having a Rally next year and you will be invited to attend. I am going to send you a private e-mail about going south.

Of all the RV's we looked at, the 3685 was the only one that had the layout we really liked. It's a super floor plan. We have our deep freeze in the laundry closet and we love the over sized shower. We like the large storage areas with the slam doors. Basically, we love the RV but we are having a few issues. The dealer is not working with us on a few problems. Some of the issues we have are : the demo we looked at had 3 lights over the island but when we got it, there were only 2. We only got 2 dinnette chairs instead of the 4 that was shown in the demo. Some issues we need for them to work on are: the shower door track was cut too short, stove top cover was bent, both A/C covers were damaged, door molding damaged, and there's debris under our rubber roof in different spots. The keyless entry does not work and few more minor things. The dealer doesn't seem to care or want to get in any hurry for repairs. We're a little aggravated. The dealer kept our RV for 2 1/2 weeks just to add hydraulic fluid for the slides. Hope things go better for you.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Of all the RV's we looked at, the 3685 was the only one that had the layout we really liked. It's a super floor plan. We have our deep freeze in the laundry closet and we love the over sized shower. We like the large storage areas with the slam doors. Basically, we love the RV but we are having a few issues. The dealer is not working with us on a few problems. Some of the issues we have are : the demo we looked at had 3 lights over the island but when we got it, there were only 2. We only got 2 dinnette chairs instead of the 4 that was shown in the demo. Some issues we need for them to work on are: the shower door track was cut too short, stove top cover was bent, both A/C covers were damaged, door molding damaged, and there's debris under our rubber roof in different spots. The keyless entry does not work and few more minor things. The dealer doesn't seem to care or want to get in any hurry for repairs. We're a little aggravated. The dealer kept our RV for 2 1/2 weeks just to add hydraulic fluid for the slides. Hope things go better for you.

Call Heartland Customer Service, explain the issues, with your dealer and see if you can get an authorization for another dealer or an independent repair facility. Some dealers just seem to forget they still have a customer after the sale.

tcfake613

Wow... I hope ours comes in better. That seems like more issues than average. Two comments... the recent models of the 3685, as opposed to earlier year models, have changed somewhat. There are now only two pendants in the kitchen. The dinette was changed. The table is different and it now only comes with two chairs. You can order two more chairs that fold and store in the W/D closet as an option. Not sure why they went this way.

Other things I noticed are the backsplash wallpaper is different, the glass inserts on doors and cabinets are different and the linoleum floor is now installed at an angle to give a diamond pattern look. The graphics on the exterior have changed also. Most of the changes I like... some I don't.

Yes I do hope we fare better when we take delivery. Keep us posted on getting your issues resolved.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Frank and Char, if your dealer is giving you a runaround, give Heartland Customer Service a call. Calmly explain the situation and maybe they can help you out.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Wow... I hope ours comes in better. That seems like more issues than average. Two comments... the recent models of the 3685, as opposed to earlier year models, have changed somewhat. There are now only two pendants in the kitchen. The dinette was changed. The table is different and it now only comes with two chairs. You can order two more chairs that fold and store in the W/D closet as an option. Not sure why they went this way.

Other things I noticed are the backsplash wallpaper is different, the glass inserts on doors and cabinets are different and the linoleum floor is now installed at an angle to give a diamond pattern look. The graphics on the exterior have changed also. Most of the changes I like... some I don't.

Yes I do hope we fare better when we take delivery. Keep us posted on getting your issues resolved.

Wow - all the changes you mentioned above were the same changes we had. And, yes, most we like better. We had actually went to Elkhart, IN and had a plant tour. Saw how they make the Big Horn. That's when they told us we'd only get 2 dinnette chairs and we would be getting a glass design in the storage pantry. So we expected that. Found out we knew about those 2 changes before the dealer did. But the rest of the changes were a surprise !! We actually stayed overnite at the dealers the evening we were to pick the Big Horn up. We wanted to play with everything and test things before we took it home. That's when we noticed the other changes. Staying overnight is when we discovered several of the problems and damaged items. A couple things they repaired before we left for home. Other things had to be ordered. It might be a good idea for you to do that also, if the dealer allows it. Might save you having to drag the RV back to the dealers right away. But we hope you don't have any problems. Basically , we love the RV. We've only been able to take a one week trip in Sept. And we enjoyed the RV immensely. We just want the problems fixed without hassles and fixed before we want to take off for a couple months.
Will let you know how the repairs go.

tcfake613

Wow - all the changes you mentioned above were the same changes we had. And, yes, most we like better. We had actually went to Elkhart, IN and had a plant tour. Saw how they make the Big Horn. That's when they told us we'd only get 2 dinnette chairs and we would be getting a glass design in the storage pantry. So we expected that. Found out we knew about those 2 changes before the dealer did. But the rest of the changes were a surprise !! We actually stayed overnite at the dealers the evening we were to pick the Big Horn up. We wanted to play with everything and test things before we took it home. That's when we noticed the other changes. Staying overnight is when we discovered several of the problems and damaged items. A couple things they repaired before we left for home. Other things had to be ordered. It might be a good idea for you to do that also, if the dealer allows it. Might save you having to drag the RV back to the dealers right away. But we hope you don't have any problems. Basically , we love the RV. We've only been able to take a one week trip in Sept. And we enjoyed the RV immensely. We just want the problems fixed without hassles and fixed before we want to take off for a couple months.
Will let you know how the repairs go.

Well one thing is for sure... this will be the eighth RV I will have purchased and not one single unit was without problems. All various brands/sizes/types. Most of the issues I end up fixing on my own since so many dealers don't seem to have the time. That is unfortunate. I own a Cedar Creek right now which is a Forest River product. They were outstanding to work with at the factory. Whenever something went wrong, they came though even though I had a lousy dealer... even after my warranty had expired. I've also heard good things about Heartland... and I'm hoping to have that good experience also!

Heartland seems to be gaining a very good reputation for how they treat their customers... at least that seems to be the consensus. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm not expecting my unit till end of January so it will be a while till I can check it out.

Re: Newcomers - repairs done

Getting back to you about the repairs we've been trying to get done with the dealer. They finally came through. We had 2 A/C shrouds put on and they installed the 3rd light over the island. The issues with the bathroom trim and shower assembly, the stove top cover, and the damaged door frame were all taken care of. We're now ready to travel - Yes !! I guess you're still waiting for delivery on your 3685?