Next Newbe Question: Air Compressor

Greengas

Re: Next Newbe Question: Air Compressor

Follow up question. Could I run, for a short period of time, a 12 volt compressor off my two group 27 coach batteries? I know they would be run down quickly but I would only do this followed by hitching up to my truck and getting on the road (hence charging the batteries) or at a camp site already plugged into either 30 or 50 amp o the batteries will be charged right back up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That would work just fine.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

danemayer

Ronn, one thing; don't run your batteries down before closing the slides and hitching up. You need a lot of battery power for the hydraulics pump.

Greengas

Ronn, one thing; don't run your batteries down before closing the slides and hitching up. You need a lot of battery power for the hydraulics pump.

Good point. Thanks. I think I have decided upon the Viair 400p automatic. I found one for a great price. Based on all the reviews, guidance from fellow members of the forum and cost I think it is the best way to go.

porthole

Retired
You should really consider a 100% duty cycle compressor.

The 400P is not really up to the task of filling RV tires. The example given is just to 35PSI, which does not work the compressor.

Trying to fill a 110 psi tire from 90 or so to 110 will really give the compressor a workout.

Greengas

You should really consider a 100% duty cycle compressor.

The 400P is not really up to the task of filling RV tires. The example given is just to 35PSI, which does not work the compressor.

Trying to fill a 110 psi tire from 90 or so to 110 will really give the compressor a workout.

That was my thinking as well but several forum members have spoken up and said that they use the Viair 400 series that is a 33 percent duty cycle and it works fine. To me, the biggest downside of the 100 percent duty cycle is the lower cfm rating.

So, I open it up again, do I need a 100 percent duty cycle which I believe is the Viair 450 or can the Viair 400 or 440 do the job.

porthole

Retired
You will need some factory specs to do some math. But, if it takes 10 minutes to fill from 90 to 110 at "X" volume, with a 30% duty cycle, you are looking at 3 minutes on, 7 minutes off for 3 cycles (30 minutes).

And, to actually get 110 you will need to fill to a higher pressure so that you will have 110 when it cools down.

Running an air compressor at load really heats up the air. You may also find that the compressor kicks on at 105 psi and off at 140-145 (typical) What that means if you are using a storage tank is that in order to actually get 110 psi you will have to run the compressor down, let it cycle on, fill the tank and that start airing up tires.

The most efficient way to fill tires is with a volume tank.

That all said, if you really want to fill to 110-115 psi I would consider the 100% duty cycle, 200 psi compressor. In the long run you will be pleased with the performance.

On the other hand, if you really want to try a 150 psi 30% duty cycle compressor, I have a new one in the basement you can try for the cost of postage.

Greengas

You will need some factory specs to do some math. But, if it takes 10 minutes to fill from 90 to 110 at "X" volume, with a 30% duty cycle, you are looking at 3 minutes on, 7 minutes off for 3 cycles (30 minutes).

And, to actually get 110 you will need to fill to a higher pressure so that you will have 110 when it cools down.

Running an air compressor at load really heats up the air. You may also find that the compressor kicks on at 105 psi and off at 140-145 (typical) What that means if you are using a storage tank is that in order to actually get 110 psi you will have to run the compressor down, let it cycle on, fill the tank and that start airing up tires.

The most efficient way to fill tires is with a volume tank.

That all said, if you really want to fill to 110-115 psi I would consider the 100% duty cycle, 200 psi compressor. In the long run you will be pleased with the performance.

On the other hand, if you really want to try a 150 psi 30% duty cycle compressor, I have a new one in the basement you can try for the cost of postage.

Porthole

thanks so much for the detailed info. I've seen 150 psi 100 percent duty cycle oppressors but not 200 psi ones -at least not in a portable. Any recommendations? And I might take ya up on the postage only offer.

porthole

Retired
If you search around you can find it in any flavor you want, from compressor only to full blown dual compressor complete air kits.

porthole

Retired
No I don't.
My guess is that 100/100 is close enough to 100/110 though.

You never see in the specs exactly what 100% is. Does that mean 24/7 or maybe just 30-60 minutes of continuous use?

pegmikef

Thanks, you are probably right about that. I guess it is probably a little different than my welder duty cycle.

Greengas

Update. Just got my Viair 400 (RV Version) in the mail. It was like Christmas all over again. I tried it out on my truck and it had no problem with 80 psi. Now, this evening, I will be back at my coach and give it the ultimate test, 110psi. I'll let ya know!

Greengas

Final Update: I have used my Viair 400 (RV Version) multiple times now on my coach and it works GREAT! I've used it off the truck battery and yesterday I used it off one of the two coach batteries. No problem at all taking my tires from about 105 up to 110. The only caution, when Viair says that the motor housing gets hot they were not kidding! Don't ask me how I know.

pegmikef

Final Update: I have used my Viair 400 (RV Version) multiple times now on my coach and it works GREAT! I've used it off the truck battery and yesterday I used it off one of the two coach batteries. No problem at all taking my tires from about 105 up to 110. The only caution, when Viair says that the motor housing gets hot they were not kidding! Don't ask me how I know.

Ditto, I finally ended up with the viair 450P because of the high duty cycle and portability. Works great and took my tires from 100 psi to 110 psi in less than a minute. I just store it in the toolbox on my aux tank/toolbox combo. It comes with a nice carrying case.