No water?

Grdsman

So I brought the trailer home last Thursday evening to load up with food, fill the water and put fresh bedding on since we were leaving the next day for a long weekend of dry camping, which is how we usually roll. No problems. Got up to the campsite Friday night, got it leveled and turned on the water pump...it just kept running on. I searched for the problem, looking for a place where water was pouring out and found nothing. Checked the tank levels and found that I was empty! Not just empty but COMPLETELY empty! Someone had drained my tank as it sat in front of my house! I can only guess that it is one of my neighbors upset that it was parked in front of my house overnight, which is completely legal of course. Has this ever happened to someone?

kb0zke

You didn't notice any evidence of water on the ground when you left? I'm wondering if one of your drain valves was hit by a stone while you were traveling. Granted, that's kind of a freak accident, but might be another explanation.

Looks like the lesson here is to check everything before pulling out and at every stop along the way.

Grdsman

The drain valve was closed when we arrived at the campsite. I opened it to check and a small splurt came out and that was it. It was dry. Unfortunately, it had rained the night before so it was wet all around and I didn't notice anything strange. Yesterday, when I got home, I filled the tank and drove it around. Nothing leaked anywhere so I can only come to the conclusion that someone completely drained it. The strange thing is that they closed the valve when they were done....which is why I think it was a disgruntled neighbor and not a prank.

Grdsman

You didn't notice any evidence of water on the ground when you left? I'm wondering if one of your drain valves was hit by a stone while you were traveling. Granted, that's kind of a freak accident, but might be another explanation.

Looks like the lesson here is to check everything before pulling out and at every stop along the way.

That is definitely the lesson that I learned. I will be checking everything much closer before I leave in the future. Next time they could get even more malicious.

brianharrison

Sad.

Would have to be someone who knows about RVs and drain valves, and they would of been there for a 15 to 20 minutes from the time the valve was opened, the tank to drain and then close the valve.

Why can't people have conversations to resolve conflicts rather than malice?

jpdoggett

So I brought the trailer home last Thursday evening to load up with food, fill the water and put fresh bedding on since we were leaving the next day for a long weekend of dry camping, which is how we usually roll. No problems. Got up to the campsite Friday night, got it leveled and turned on the water pump...it just kept running on. I searched for the problem, looking for a place where water was pouring out and found nothing. Checked the tank levels and found that I was empty! Not just empty but COMPLETELY empty! Someone had drained my tank as it sat in front of my house! I can only guess that it is one of my neighbors upset that it was parked in front of my house overnight, which is completely legal of course. Has this ever happened to someone?

Sound like you have a neighbor like a friend of mine has where he lives you can have your RV in the drive for 24 hr's this is so you can load or unload it, if his is there 24 hr 1 min the cops come to his door cause a neighbor has called

irvin56

A couple questions here. and info. My tanks do not drain -via drain valve- completely and I cannot suck out all fresh water from tank- pick up line is not at bottom. as I have water running out of drain when pump quits working. If I dry camped more I would investigate and drop pick up line farther down. But with this unit I get full hook ups 90 percent of time
1)- did it take a long time to fill tank at home? maybe only got a few gallons in it -reason ask- Alot of people have had problems with fill lines twisted or too long and loop down, vent line plugged and won't let a lot of water into tank until you blow out vent.
2)-drain lines for tanks are located up from the bottom of tank.-- so you may still be some water in it. Mine when filling will take water for 2-3 mins before it starts to run out drain. When I travel with drain open and park on a side ways slint, more water will drain from tank. Regardless of which side I park on. I always run some water into tank with drain open and let a bunch of water drain before I close uop and finish filling.
3)- is your valve open next to pump going into the fresh water tank. may still be in winterizing setup. --or you may have an airlock and not able to suck up water.
4)- tank sensor are not acurate, I don't know why they even use them. in all tanks in trailer are never right. My fresh water tank reads 1/2 when I am right full and water pouring out of tank. I checked mine out by adding water via 5 gallon jugs and found out the tank held almost as much as they said. Guages are wrong on all my tanks.
5)- example, grey water tank reads 1/2 and water is backed up into bath tub.

Just a few idea and after this happened, I would definatly check tank monitor, or open drain valve briefly to see if water run, before leaving home

Last edited:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
On a lighter note, we had a few of the neighborhood kids think it was funny to open the black tank drain and then close it so you wouldn't know until you took the cap off! There were 3 trailers on our street for one night getting ready to head out the next morning and all 3 experienced the same prank. Oh those funny little *#!*turds, just wait, they will get their upcomings someday. :angel:

Grdsman

A couple questions here. and info. My tanks do not drain -via drain valve- completely and I cannot suck out all fresh water from tank- pick up line is not at bottom. as I have water running out of drain when pump quits working. If I dry camped more I would investigate and drop pick up line farther down. But with this unit I get full hook ups 90 percent of time
1)- did it take a long time to fill tank at home? maybe only got a few gallons in it -reason ask- Alot of people have had problems with fill lines twisted or too long and loop down, vent line plugged and won't let a lot of water into tank until you blow out vent.
2)-drain lines for tanks are located up from the bottom of tank.-- so you may still be some water in it. Mine when filling will take water for 2-3 mins before it starts to run out drain. When I travel with drain open and park on a side ways slint, more water will drain from tank. Regardless of which side I park on. I always run some water into tank with drain open and let a bunch of water drain before I close uop and finish filling.
3)- is your valve open next to pump going into the fresh water tank. may still be in winterizing setup. --or you may have an airlock and not able to suck up water.
4)- tank sensor are not acurate, I don't know why they even use them. in all tanks in trailer are never right. My fresh water tank reads 1/2 when I am right full and water pouring out of tank. I checked mine out by adding water via 5 gallon jugs and found out the tank held almost as much as they said. Guages are wrong on all my tanks.
5)- example, grey water tank reads 1/2 and water is backed up into bath tub.

Just a few idea and after this happened, I would definatly check tank monitor, or open drain valve briefly to see if water run, before leaving home

I wish this one of these was the problem. I filled it for about 15 minutes until the monitor read full (the fresh is accurate, the black holding doesn't read accurate). The camper was parked with the passenger side high on a curb to get it further off the street, so the drain was on the downhill side, which is why it drained completely. I was able to get to a town and buy a 6 gallon water can and made two trips with it so I could test the pump and make sure it was working. Two full cans siphoned into the tank got it going. I also had no leaks. I wish it was one of the other possible reasons, but I troubleshot all of them and came to the conclusion that the camper is fine and it was manual intervention that caused my rapid loss of H2O.

Grdsman

On a lighter note, we had a few of the neighborhood kids think it was funny to open the black tank drain and then close it so you wouldn't know until you took the cap off! There were 3 trailers on our street for one night getting ready to head out the next morning and all 3 experienced the same prank. Oh those funny little *#!*turds, just wait, they will get their upcomings someday. :angel:

That's horrible! I'd rather show up with one less turd than no water, though. :)