Norcold 2118 constant defrost

Hello- I have a one month old Cyclone 4151 with a PolarMax 2118 fridge. Fridge was fine for about 4 weeks, would get down into upper 20s in the fridge on setting 9. Now on setting 9 it will not cool below 42ish. The outdoor drain tube is spiting water ever 30 mins or so, which seems to imply the fridge is defrosting WAY too often. I've contacted my dealer, but all they are saying is drop off camper and we'll get to it sometime this summer. Thoughts?? thanks. Can I call a mobile repair shop that covers Norcold appliances?

danemayer

Hi jfcody3962,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The drain activity may not imply defrosting. It might be condensation from an air leak. 4 door refrigerators usually have a flap on one door that rotates into place when the door closes, in order to seal the gap between doors. If that flap doesn't close properly, or if you have a problem with the door seals, warm air will enter the refrigerator compartment. That severely impacts the ability to reach a normal temperature and also causes excess moisture.

If your freezer is maintaining a normal temperature, I'd check for warm, moist air getting into the refrigerator compartment.

Garypowell

And yes, anyone who is qualified can work on your rig. You need approval and you will pay the trip charge.

danemayer

Norcold warrants the refrigerator, so you'll have to use a servicer who is authorized by Norcold. Not sure what their policy is on authorizing independents and mobile servicers. Ideally you'd want a servicer who agrees to take payment directly from Norcold. I'd expect they would not pay for mobile servicer travel charges.

Gary521

I agree with Dan, check the center seal to make sure that it is flipping closed. This seems to be a common problem. This gets worse with weight in the doors ( more on the left door which has the center seal ). The seal drags on the bottom and does not flip close. Easy fix by adding nylon washers to hinge pins.

You guys may be correct. I thought the center door "flap" was closing just fine, but upon closer inspection is was actually not closing/flipping completely. There was still about 1 inch of forward movement towards the front of the fridge. Once I fully closed the flap the right side door also sealed better, sort of makes a suction against the door seal now. The fridge is 51 degrees inside at the moment, will report back if it is colder in the morning. Thanks for help here, you guys rock!

That fixed it! Thanks again. Fridge was 28 degrees this morning. I will remove the american flag sticker that is already nearly destroyed, and also add a nylon washer to raise the door up. Much appreciated!