Norcold Model 1210 Hi Temp sensor failure

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
The purpose of this post is FYI
We took delivery of our 2014 Big Horn 3875 on July 13, 2013, and on Saturday, March 26, 2016, the Norcold Refrigerator, model 1210, stopped cooling. When I discovered the unit was not cooling on AC I tried LP, but that too did not cool. I immediately turned off the unit and pulled the plug. I wanted no power going to the unit. The tech checked the unit, and after talking to Norcold, it was determined the Hi Temperature sensor failed. Norcold sent the part and the tech returned on Friday to install it. My refrigerator is cooling again. Norcold covered the part and I had to pay the service call. I am glad this issue was taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.
Now the rest of the story. A Bounder motor home in our park has the same Norcold refrigerator, model 1210, and it had the Hi Temperature sensor replaced under the Norcold recall a few years ago. Well, two weeks ago the occupants were watching the afternoon news when the coach started to fill with smoke. Going outside the owner discovered flames shooting out of the top refrigerator vent. The fire was quickly put out before the coach was seriously damaged. Upon calling Norcold the owner was told his fire was and insurance issue, and they are waiting for the insurance adjuster to show up.
Safe travels and happy camping to all.