North Country - Fresh Water Tank Capacity and Draining Problems

Rodden

2010 North Country 22FB
In preparing the trailer for winter freeze up, I was draining the fresh water tank. After the water finished draining, I looked under the trailer, noticing that the underslung tank still had at least 4 inches of water. Checked the fill / drain vent and it was clear with no gurgling. Two questions: how does a person get all of the water out of the tank for winterization? The water pump is attached to the exact same plumbing as the drain valve, so running the water pump does not work to get rid of the additional water. 2nd Question: The capacity of the tank is stated to be 37 gallons. The useable range of the tank appears to be about half of that or less, considering where the drain valve / outlet is located (on the side of the tank quite close to the top). Is there a warranty tank replacement available, as the design of this fresh water system is very bad.

jimtoo

Re: ATF: North Country - Fresh Water Tank Capacity and Draining Problems

Hi Rodden,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share if needed.

Hopefully someone will jump in with an answer on draining the tank. Did you buy the North Country new and how old is the unit? I know some folks have placed a reinforcement under the tank to take the sag out.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

hoefler

If the tank is sagging down and pushing the underbelly skin down, it is getting ready to fall out. The tank bottom needs to be flat in order to use all the available water, and to drain it.

Rodden

Thank-you hoefler for the info!! We purchased our unit second hand, looks and smells like new. The previous owner had mentioned that they also were having trouble with the fresh water tank, and it did not seem to have the 37 gal capacity as stated in the specs. I concur. The water tank is not flat on the bottom by any means, and there is no underbelly, so it is easy to see what is going on. There is about a 5 inch sag on the bottom of the tank, and is far from being flat. Every rig I have previously owned has had a "square" tank located inside the rig. This underslung tank is sparsly supported by two thin metal straps about 6 inches wide, that attach to the frame with metal screws. This looks like a safety feature in case the tank becomes dislodged from the frame support. I have severe questions regarding the tank, and the original shape of it. No resonse from the factory or the dealer where the unit was purchased. How would you suggest I go about getting this tank issue repaired? We have an extended 6 year warranty.

TeJay

Rodden,
We had the same problem with our 24-RBS NTand it was only 2 months old. While looking under the camper I noticed a full 7-inch sag under the fresh water tank. Took it to the dealer,(warranty item). There was a broken strap. With only one broken strap the tank sagged. When they replaced it I asked them to place a piece of plywood under the entire fresh water tank. The plywood will spread the pressure under the entire bottom so that all straps will share the load. That's the only thing to do which makes sense. They did it and also added another strap for extra support. Since your the second owner it's out of warranty but if you have someone do the work I would do as I did. Have them cut the wood so it's at least the same size as the bottom of the tank or maybe 1/2" wider. That will keep the straps from cutting into the soft sides of the plastic tank.
Good luck with the repair. I don't think HL should ship those units without doing what I've suggested. Why would you ship something that has to support that much weight unless you did it correctly? Ours are not the first units that have broken straps and sagged. I've read her of some that have fallen out.
TeJay

hoefler

I posted what I felt was the proper repair for my situation, we have a 100 gallon fresh water tank, he is a link to the thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/25165-I-have-one-for-you-all!?p=186632#post186632