North Trail 22FBS - Awning for the side out?

Stan1020

Hello all! This is my first post. I'll be picking up my "new" pre-owned 22FBS is a couple of weeks. Looking forward to camping in it. Question for you all - the side out does not have an awning cover. Just wanted to get opinions on whether I should get one installed or not. Dealer said it would be between $400 and $500 installed. Thanks! Love this forum. Have found lots of great info here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Stan1020 and welcome to this great forum.
As far as slide toppers go, some people love them some hate them. I am one that loves them.
The down side is they can be be noisy in the wind. I agree but never lost any sleep over it.
The up side is they shade the sun, help prevent water leaks, and you never have to sweep pine cones off the top of the slide.
We have had them on both of our Bighorns and will on the next.
Just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I had my 21 FBS for 5 years and never had an issue or need for a topper! I think it is a personal opinion, if it makes you feel better, I would say go for it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a 21fbs, similar in size to yours. We did not have a topper. It was never an issue for us, as the slide was fairly easy to lean a ladder on to clear the top if needed. We had to do so in some winter camping experiences, and once in a state park with lots of trees and a hailstorm caused debris all over.

I don't think it's a must have, but if you'd rather not be climbing ladders, spend the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you live or camp in an area that is prone to high winds . . . don't get them.

Because you probably won't have them for long.

rhodies1

Hello all! This is my first post. I'll be picking up my "new" pre-owned 22FBS is a couple of weeks. Looking forward to camping in it. Question for you all - the side out does not have an awning cover. Just wanted to get opinions on whether I should get one installed or not. Dealer said it would be between $400 and $500 installed. Thanks! Love this forum. Have found lots of great info here.

Hello,as you can see this is a personel preference, I have a BigHorn and had the 4 installed for $1200 and would definitely have them again. They do keep a lot of debris off the top of the slide, they are not 100% perfect but help.They do flap some in the wind but this is part of camping,you cannot control the weather,they are very versitle as well.
Good luck on your decision.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've had 1 Mobile Scout fifth wheel, 2 Bighorns and 1 Landmark with no toppers and don't see a need for them. They sag after time, get loose and flap in the wind and occasionally tear loose, so no, not for me.