North Trail 24BHS Bathtub blowout - massive p-trap failure

pedirob

So I was taking a nice shower when I noticed a flood in the bathroom. On further inspection, the p-trap under the tub was broken in two different places. There are captive nuts on each end of the trap, and both had split circumferentially. Maybe the installer over-tightened them?

This just happened, as I've camped several times this year without any problems. This camper is 8 months old.

Also, FYI, the access panel slides out by pulling straight up at the top.

Has anyone else had this problem?

RVplumbing - 1.jpg RVplumbing - 2.jpg RVplumbing - 3.jpg RVplumbing - 4.jpg

WillyBill

So I was taking a nice shower when I noticed a flood in the bathroom. On further inspection, the p-trap under the tub was broken in two different places. There are captive nuts on each end of the trap, and both had split circumferentially. Maybe the installer over-tightened them?

This just happened, as I've camped several times this year without any problems. This camper is 8 months old.

Also, FYI, the access panel slides out by pulling straight up at the top.

Has anyone else had this problem?

View attachment 62377 View attachment 62378 View attachment 62379 View attachment 62380

IMHO-the breakage was caused by excessive motion between the shower base and the pipe run downstream of the "P" Trap(two immoveable objects).

WB

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had to put a couple of 2x4 pieces on either side of the shower drain in my previous TT to steady the floor of the shower.

I believe that once you fix that P-trap, you'll need to do the same thing to stop the downward stress on that fitting when someone is standing in the shower.

pedirob

Thanks, good thoughts. I appreciate the input.

I looked at it and the tub is well supported. It sits on a block of rigid foam, which sits on a sheet of plywood supported by 2x4s. The drain pipe has a support, too, under the bunk bed, but it's about 3 feet away. So I will probably add a 2x4 to support the drain pipe next to the trap.

I tried to fix it but I could not find all of the parts. The repair will involve making a part with PVC pipe. It's a very tight space with no room for error. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer - I'm still under warranty.

Tub support - 1.jpg
(I put the white cap on to keep odors out)

WillyBill

Thanks, good thoughts. I appreciate the input.

I looked at it and the tub is well supported. It sits on a block of rigid foam, which sits on a sheet of plywood supported by 2x4s. The drain pipe has a support, too, under the bunk bed, but it's about 3 feet away. So I will probably add a 2x4 to support the drain pipe next to the trap.

Have your wife step into the shower while you look underneath. You will be surprised how much that foam compresses. The object is: floor of shower doesn't move when being used. Otherwise your problems will persist IMHO.

WB

pedirob

Have your wife step into the shower while you look underneath. You will be surprised how much that foam compresses. The object is: floor of shower doesn't move when being used. Otherwise your problems will persist IMHO.

WB

This is a design flaw, and I'd encourage everyone to inspect their drain pipes for cracks now, before it turns into a flood. That access panel on the bathtub just slides straight up toward the ceiling - no tools required.

You are right, there is more motion than you would expect. In particular, the area immediately around the drain - where the foam is cut out - has no support at all. The bathtub is thin, and flexes easily when you stand near the drain. So I rigged up some additional support right next to the drain.

The repair requires a mobile home p-trap which is hard to find. Home Depot has them, but only in the bigger stores; you may have to order it online.

Tub support-2- - 1.jpg Tub support-2- - 2.jpg Tub support-2- - 3.jpg