North Trail 24BHS water heater not working

cordsy

Hey all! New to this forum so if I’m in the wrong area please let me know.

Just bought the new 24BHS and I have been putting fresh water into the the trailer but only about a 1/3 of the tank worth.

I tried to turn the water heater on and could hear the propane light and run for a few minutes then shut off. But never getting any hot water. Reading through the threads here I looked for the shut off valves to see if they maybe hadn’t been “turned on”. I took the panel off in the storage space to access the back of the water heater and everything seemed on. I also looked behind the sink area and under the oven and didn’t see anything that looked “off”. Am I missing some valves?

My other thoughts is if I’m only manually adding 1/3 of a tank full of water maybe it is not pumping properly to and through the water heater…? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Do you get any water out of the “hot” side of any faucet?
In other words, did you fill the WH with water?

cordsy

Water does come out of the hot side in the bathroom and outdoor shower. It seems “warmer” for a couple seconds but then goes cold. Should I try hooking up to city water/and or filling the freshwater tank up all the way?

travelin2

if the lp tries to fire but doesn’t, do any of the stove burners light & stay lit?
The unit may be starved for propane

cordsy

if the lp tries to fire but doesn’t, do any of the stove burners light & stay lit?
The unit may be starved for propane
The burners and stove do stay lit but don’t always light the easiest. The water heater does fire up and blow in a way that sounds normal but doesn’t run very long.

travelin2

I know it’s summer & hot, but see if the furnace fires.
If the stove burners are finicky along with the WH I’m thinking the appliances are starved for propane.
If the furnace won’t fire then you might have a faulty regulator on the propane tanks.
Otherwise I’m out of simple solutions

cordsy

Thanks all for your help! I’m going to do some troubleshooting and work through everyone’s suggestions tonight and then I’ll report back. Let me know if you think of anything else I should try.

Bogie

I took the panel off in the storage space to access the back of the water heater and everything seemed on.
You said "everything seemed on". If that is correct, the valves are not set properly. The water heater typically has three valves. In the normal position, two valves should be "on" and the bypass should be "off". If the bypass is open, that might account for your problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.08.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 8.08.01 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

cordsy

Ok i figured it out. My system only has 2 valves behind the water heater. I had them turned to winterize. My thought was if I bypassed the cold then it would work but both have to be set (turned towards the water heater) for it to work.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and hopefully this helps someone else out.

Attachments

• 181836B3-6450-4750-B3BF-2613F21A2D30.jpeg
    181836B3-6450-4750-B3BF-2613F21A2D30.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 414B62B5-C97B-43EB-BFFD-99BA92614873.jpeg
    414B62B5-C97B-43EB-BFFD-99BA92614873.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 20

travelin2

Ok i figured it out. My system only has 2 valves behind the water heater. I had them turned to winterize. My thought was if I bypassed the cold then it would work but both have to be set (turned towards the water heater) for it to work.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and hopefully this helps someone else out.
But why did the WH not fire? Was the water already heated?