North Trail - Load Leveling hitch? yes/no

hankie419

Hi,
I'll be picking up my new 2013 NT21FBS Caliber Edition in the next few weeks. I'll be pulling it with the same Ford F250 Superduty Diesel that I've been using to tow my 2008 Big Country.

I'm wondering about the consensus on whether I will need to use a load leveling hitch or sway bar on this combination, given the wide track axles on the NT?

Thanks,
Hank & Debbie Stevens & Socks.

pegmikef

I say yes. I use an EAZ-Lift WD hitch with mine and have no sway. I also used the same hitch with my Edge (about the same size as your NT) and it worked great. I personally would not tow without one. Most of the NTs I have seen have some kind of weight distribution or sway control device, but a lot of folks don't use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Hi Hank,

I moved your thread out of the ATF as you will get better feedback from product users than you will the factory.

Thanks,

Jim

Eddhuy

I say yes. I use an EAZ-Lift WD hitch with mine and have no sway. I also used the same hitch with my Edge (about the same size as your NT) and it worked great. I personally would not tow without one.

+1, I agree. When towing a 30' keystone I did not need one with my F350, but used an EAZ-Lift anyway. I had no sway, and very little bouncing or jerking regardless of road conditions. Quite the opposite experience from nearly 20 years ago.

eddylives

When I fist pulled our 26FQB it was a sway monster without anything while pulling it with my f-150.
I bought a E2 by fastway and it tamed the beast.
Sway control can really save your butt if you have no experience with how to recover from it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'd say it can't hurt having the WD and sway control. Enjoy that North Trail! They have really enhanced the decor and features since we had one in 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manzan

Your setup would be fine under normal circumstances but the tongue weight reduces the weight on your front axle which can lead to reduced steering traction. Not a good thing if towing in the rain or snow or even some sand on the highway. I would not be without my Reese with Dual Cam sway control. The wide track tows even better with it.

hankie419

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll probably get me one of those "EAZ-lifts" just to be safe & keep the wife calm.