North Trail RV, Ft Myers,Fl

In December 2014 we bought a 2015 Heartland Torque model 291, we were extremely happy with the sales personnel, Tommy and Clint. They did everything they could for us and made the buying experience a really nice thing. After we had used the unit twice for weekends in the first month we had a list of about 15 items that needed to be fixed. The problems were not large, they varied from a closet door falling off to stripped out screws on the door, we contacted the service department at North trail RV and scheduled a day to bring it in, we got it back over 6 WEEKS later. A competent technician should have been able to fix all of the problems in at the most 2 days. We had it back for one more camping trip for a week, at the time to pack up, the slide would not go in, after cycling it several times it went in but made a horrible banging noise. We called the service department and scheduled it to go in the following saturday, that was April 25th. We got it back the end of August.....4 MONTHS LATER. During that four months there were many emails and phone calls to see what the delay was and there was excuse after excuse, I even scheduled a meeting with the General Manager but that was a waste of my time. Eventually the story was that North Trail RV was getting the run around because Heartland and the company that made the slide were playing the blame game for who would pay for the warranty parts and labor. In the end WE lost almost 6 months of our warranty due to it sitting at the dealership doing nothing, to say nothing about us not having access to it fo 6 out of the 8 months we owned it. I would never advise anyone to buy from North trail RV in Ft Myers.

jimtoo

Hi Harleyroadking,

Sorry to hear you have had such a problem with your dealer. During this time did your ever contact Heartland yourself to check to see what the problem was with getting an OK to repair of even if the dealer had actually called in a claim? Many times it has been found that dealers do not call and order parts or ask for OK to repair units.

If you have more problems I would suggest you call Heartland your self and ask for help with an independent repair shop or person in your area. Many independent shops work with Heartland to do warranty repairs, but you need to get authorization first.

Keep us up to date.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Harleyroadking,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. That's all too often the story with getting RVs fixed - in warranty or out.

One thing that many of us have found is that a call to Heartland early in the process will often shed light on the situation. It's very common for dealers to say they're waiting on approval or parts when they haven't yet made contact with Heartland. And if there actually is a delay because a supplier is also involved, direct interaction with Heartland will usually speed up getting to resolution.

Dealers are supposed to just handle all this but they don't always handle it well.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dan and Jim are correct in their answers. I however approach this issue a little stronger (Dan gets on me sometime's) dealer's lie to your face. Once they took your money...you mean nothing To them. Warranty work is just a PITA to them. As long as they can string you along the better for them.

Forget your dealer. Call HL and ask for an independent service provider in your area to use.

buddyboy

We made sure the service tech and the manager knew we were going to be in touch with Heartland during warranty repairs so that we could "intervene if there are any problems". We knew from reading this forum that there were delays in warranty repairs primarily as a result of improper information from dealers. We are of the trust, but verify school of thought.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we bought our Prowler back in May, I told not only our salesperson, but the service manager about the bad experiences we had with our previous dealer (only 10 miles down the road) on our previous Heartland product . . . a 2013 Trail Runner.

They both promised me that they offer the best service in the state of Colorado and that we would not get the cold shoulder.

Well, a few weeks ago after our first two outings (two weekends in a row) with our new Prowler, I called the service department to set up a time for me to bring my trailer up so I could show them the issues, then they could get the parts ordered, then I would bring the trailer up when they were ready to do the work.

Well . . . after almost a week of phone tag . . . I finally got a voice!

When I explained how I wanted to work this (what I wrote just above), the person on the phone told me "Oh no, that is not how we do things . . . you need to drop the trailer off so we can inspect it and we'll call you when it's done!"

To which I said . . . "NO WAY! . . . That is not how I work!"

Our long vacation was coming up in three weeks and I wasn't going to jeopardize that by leaving it sit up there for a few weeks!

After we got back from our vacation, I called them up to arrange again to have them look at the issues . . . and again it took over a week of me calling several times before I got a real voice . . . I hung up when I got voice mail as that didn't work the last time.

I finally last week (Thursday) got someone else in the service department, and he gave me his email address and asked me to send him photos of the issues and he would contact me when he had approval, to which I sent them out the next morning.

Yesterday, I get an email from someone else in the service department wondering where the photos are so that they could get going on my request . . . so I forwarded the same email to this person right away.

However, I added a comment to this forwarded email that I will call Heartland for them and get the ball rolling on ordering the parts needed to get this work done . . . and within the hour, the service manager called me!

Unfortunately, I was right in the middle of a sale myself (I'm in sales, too), so I had to let the call go to my voice mail!

I called back about an hour later and left a voice mail and let him know that I am off today and to call me first thing in the morning.

Well . . . they've been open for two hours now and I haven't heard from them yet.

Here are some of the photos I sent to them:

ProwlerDefectsAwning-P1000313.jpg ProwlerDefectsDoorTrim-P1000749.jpg ProwlerDefectsDoorTrim-P1000748.jpg ProwlerDefectsWindowShade-P1000305.jpg

I will be discussing this with the service manager when I finally talk to him.

They have another dealership closer to my house, so I may just start going there if they can't get their act together!

By the way . . . the awning and the window shade were pointed out to them the day we did the PDI and they were to have already ordered these parts.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes . . . the pleats are damaged!

During the PDI, when the service person tried to put up the shade it was already like this!

John, I'll say this, we have those shades. They never go up and down smoothly. I'm always "fussing" with the pleats. But ours have not torn up, thank goodness. You just have to play with them a bit. It could be the tension is not correct or crooked or something on yours, they don't look right. Hope you get it all resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
When we bought our Prowler back in May, I told not only our salesperson, but the service manager about the bad experiences we had with our previous dealer (only 10 miles down the road) on our previous Heartland product . . . a 2013 Trail Runner.

They both promised me that they offer the best service in the state of Colorado and that we would not get the cold shoulder.

Well, a few weeks ago after our first two outings (two weekends in a row) with our new Prowler, I called the service department to set up a time for me to bring my trailer up so I could show them the issues, then they could get the parts ordered, then I would bring the trailer up when they were ready to do the work.

Well . . . after almost a week of phone tag . . . I finally got a voice!

When I explained how I wanted to work this (what I wrote just above), the person on the phone told me "Oh no, that is not how we do things . . . you need to drop the trailer off so we can inspect it and we'll call you when it's done!"

To which I said . . . "NO WAY! . . . That is not how I work!"

Our long vacation was coming up in three weeks and I wasn't going to jeopardize that by leaving it sit up there for a few weeks!

After we got back from our vacation, I called them up to arrange again to have them look at the issues . . . and again it took over a week of me calling several times before I got a real voice . . . I hung up when I got voice mail as that didn't work the last time.

I finally last week (Thursday) got someone else in the service department, and he gave me his email address and asked me to send him photos of the issues and he would contact me when he had approval, to which I sent them out the next morning.

Yesterday, I get an email from someone else in the service department wondering where the photos are so that they could get going on my request . . . so I forwarded the same email to this person right away.

However, I added a comment to this forwarded email that I will call Heartland for them and get the ball rolling on ordering the parts needed to get this work done . . . and within the hour, the service manager called me!

Unfortunately, I was right in the middle of a sale myself (I'm in sales, too), so I had to let the call go to my voice mail!

I called back about an hour later and left a voice mail and let him know that I am off today and to call me first thing in the morning.

Well . . . they've been open for two hours now and I haven't heard from them yet.

Here are some of the photos I sent to them:

View attachment 39953 View attachment 39954 View attachment 39955 View attachment 39956

I will be discussing this with the service manager when I finally talk to him.

They have another dealership closer to my house, so I may just start going there if they can't get their act together!

By the way . . . the awning and the window shade were pointed out to them the day we did the PDI and they were to have already ordered these parts.[/QUOTE

I am tired of hearing these stories... Seems the pride of doing a good job is going straight into the toilet.
I judge a dealer on how they perform after the sale not during it. The best advice I think that has been given is to get heartland into the loop right away. We have purchased our last two rigs from RV America in CO. The first was SOB so I know it is not just getting heartland involved in the warranty work. They have never had my rig for more than a week no matter the issue. They also give me a phone call about every other day to keep me up to date on the progress. I will buy my next rig there if they have what I want.

The wife and I warned you John. You would be better off getting Heartland to authorize you to go to a different dealer for your repairs.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The wife and I warned you John. You would be better off getting Heartland to authorize you to go to a different dealer for your repairs.

Yup . . .

We didn't and haven't had any issues with the sale, and as they were the only dealer that had the trailer we wanted west of the Mississippi, we bought from them.

At least our issues are minor.

Still haven't heard back from them yet today . . . I'll try calling them again shortly!

Any suspension work that I have done from now on will never be done by any dealer, but the shop that did the axle, spring, wheel and tire replacement on our old Trail Runner!

Those guys are the bomb!

pegmikef

John, Warranty or no warranty, one of my more memorable times was when I personally carried all of the pleated shades to a large dumpster behind the MCD Factory in Mckinney, TX. The techs had just removed them from my BH in preparation for the custom made MCD day and night shades I had ordered the day before. They asked me what I wanted to do with them and I told them I would take care of them. A little pricey, but worth every penny! No more broken strings to screw with, no constant tweaking of the tension to make them work, and most importantly the night shades actually keep all of the light out.