Not-so-stressed out Newbie Auto Level Question

steve8003

Thinks are progressing good but I have noticed that when I am setting up and have removed my truck from under the rig and hit auto level for my 6 point jack system........the system runs a minute then powers off for a while then flickers and I have to start over.......if I do it in manual mode I can get all my jacks down ok......am I doing something wrong........I know when I first got it it would cycle on and off as it leveled up......this is different

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Thinks are progressing good but I have noticed that when I am setting up and have removed my truck from under the rig and hit auto level for my 6 point jack system........the system runs a minute then powers off for a while then flickers and I have to start over.......if I do it in manual mode I can get all my jacks down ok......am I doing something wrong........I know when I first got it it would cycle on and off as it leveled up......this is different

Hi Steve,

One possible cause is low battery voltage (or a poor connection to the hydraulics system). Cycle the auto level control panel to read the voltage. If on shore power it should be around 13.5V. If on battery (not hooked to the truck), it should be in the mid 12s.

danemayer

13.2 is a little low if on shore power, so I'd suggest cleaning battery terminals and checking for loose connections, including loose crimps.

Inside the main circuit breaker panel in the coach, if you flip the Power Converter's circuit breaker to OFF, you'll get a reading on just the battery. If below 12.2V you should probably get the battery tested at an auto parts store. The battery has to have a pretty good charge to power the hydraulics.

There's also a possibility that the 12V DC mini-circuit breaker that powers the hydraulics might be weak. They can trip and automatically reset, causing symptoms like you're having. Breakers cost about $10 and take about 10-15 minutes to install. There should be a row of small circuit breakers near your battery. They're usually covered by red rubber boots. I've posted a picture to help you identify the breaker. Yours might look a little different.

Attachments

• Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar boot off Notated.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 42

steve8003

I will check the connections, this is a new unit that I got in October, so I hope is it not a battery or I should say it should not be.........

Oregon_Camper

I will check the connections, this is a new unit that I got in October, so I hope is it not a battery or I should say it should not be.........

Heartland makes GREAT trailers, unfortunately, your dealer might not couple that with a quality battery. I was also having issues with my trailer and finally replaced the crappy battery from the dealer with 2 Trojan T-1275's and have NEVER once had a power issue again. My guess is your battery is reading 13.2v, but once the leveling system kicks in, it will draw too much power from that battery and will cause the battery to dip below needed levels and your system will trip. Then the battery can recover...causing system to think it is ready to go again.

Do you have this problem while on shore power?

Gaffer

If you have two batteries, make sure that they are identical. And always replace them in pairs. Same as you should do on your truck.

steve8003

No it was doing this when it was in the mid to upper 60's

- - - Updated - - -

I had no issues last night when it was in lower 40's when I was hooking up for a trip to the beach this weekend.....but I was not using the auto level feature either.......

explorer2316

Explorer2316
I had a similar thing happening and it turned out to be a bad breaker. I had new batteries and my voltage was very good. The breaker for that system is a bi-metal device that resets about 5 seconds after it trips. I replaced my breaker with the same amperage as the original and....problem solved. Some other forum posts say the breakers are undersized but I can't support that theory. They solved the problem that way but probably just had bad or old batteries. It's simple science P=IxE P-power(work) I-amps E-voltage If the battery voltage is low, it takes more current to do the same amount of work and the breaker trips.

kowAlski631

If you bought it from dealer inventory, check the batteries anyway. Dealers have been known to "borrow" assets from rigs on the lot to do repairs on rigs in the shop or being suddenly sold. Just saying.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you bought it from dealer inventory, check the batteries anyway. Dealers have been known to "borrow" assets from rigs on the lot to do repairs on rigs in the shop or being suddenly sold. Just saying.

Copy that. Exactly what happened to us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk