Notes from first Camp out with 3650RL

david5311

Don't want to high jack this thread but we have been looking at the big country 3650rl for a couple of years now. We will be in 100* hot sun most of the time we will be camping and was wondering if two AC will keep the unit cool. Do they offer a third AC for this unit. I have emailed Heartland with no reply as of yet. We seem to have grand kids running in and out of the trailer all the time. Also do they offer a second awning for the curb side slide? Have also heard of one person ordering unit now and was told they will be getting a 2018 unit. Does any one know what changes will be made on the new units?

esscobra

David-

going to pickup my bighorn 3760el this weekend based in san Antonio and camp all year- wideopen sites so I have same concerns- i was able to power up unit in august on dealer lot-wasnt 100 but 90ish in full sun- unit cooled quickly and got cold- but have same concerns about going in/out alot. I tried to get ac prep wires run to ceiling- but after talking with engineer at factory- I was told that over the dec shutdown-retool at factory- they made some changes to the roof ducting and insulation and should be improved - and also determined that if still feel I need more cooling- im going to install one of the attwood units where he ceiling fan is-there is already a/c there and they confirmed that would be a good option

- - - Updated - - -

The real test will be this june at indy car race at tms in ft worth- im in infield and it can be scorching

D_BTravelers

Hi david5311,
I live in Texas, so we contend with hot weather while camping also. The 3650RL unit, per the salesman, has an energy management system in it that allows the two large Dometic Blizzard AC units to work on 50 amp, not sure if a third is possible. Mine is a new 2016 model, but I am betting you could add a second awning over the dining/theater push out without any issue; however, keep in mind that that slide goes out about 39" so almost 4-1/2' of the shade is already taken up. I carry a 10'x10' popup awning for extra shade when needed, some of the parks we visit are heavy with trees and finding a spot for two awnings to extend might be more trouble than it is worth. An article in RV Daily Report by Greg Gerber discussed the trend of the RV manufacturers to produce the next year's model early in the current year, so I am not surprised that it would be a 2018. They are going to want top $$ for a 2018, but as you are probably aware, major changes to floor plans or equipment are minimal if at all; kind of why we decided to purchase a 2016 from dealer's stock that was clearance priced. Same exact interior, but literally saved $10K over the price of a 2017 model.:D

david5311

esscobra

Thanks for the reply. We can't find a unit with in 200 miles of us to go see. AC is our top priority but this unit also has most of the other things we have on our priority list. I would like to know more info on what and how you plan to add an AC at the Fan. Who you talked to? Was it a dealer of Heartland? Would the elect. management system be added also?

david5311

D_BTravelers

Thanks for the reply. The idea of the second awning was to get the sun off of the big windows in that slide. This is the first time I have heard of the Elect. Management system in the Big Country. I Hope you are right. Glad you got your hot water heater problem solved. We have direct tv and will be interested if you get your cable figured out. We don't like the fact that they increased the height of the 2017 to 13'3" but can live with it.
David

danemayer

D_BTravelers

Thanks for the reply. The idea of the second awning was to get the sun off of the big windows in that slide. This is the first time I have heard of the Elect. Management system in the Big Country. I Hope you are right. Glad you got your hot water heater problem solved. We have direct tv and will be interested if you get your cable figured out. We don't like the fact that they increased the height of the 2017 to 13'3" but can live with it.
David
David,

1st off, to run two air conditioners, you don't need the Power Control System such as comes with Landmark 365 or it's little brother that comes with some of the large toy haulers. If the Big Country has added that feature for 2018 models, or if a 3rd A/C option has been added, those details have yet to be announced on the HeartlandRVs.com website.

If you'll be in 100 degree weather a lot, you might consider moving up to the Landmark 365 where 3 A/C units are available and the Power Control System manages power usage to allow all 3 to be used concurrently.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We lived in our 2012 Big Country 3650 for over 2 years in AL which is very hot and humid. Yes we added a second awning over the dining room slide which greatly helped. We also went down to Lowes and got a dehumidifier which helped with the humidity.
IMG_1092.jpg

esscobra

just got pics of my unit that came into dealer this am- has the slide toppers- mandatory for heat in texas and the dinette slide awing- see pics-

the ceiling fan is in a raised cut out and has a 110 wire circuit run there- attwood makes 2 units that re very power efficient- and will easily run on say a 15a circuit- with a remote control- if the new roof/duct/insulation system cant keep my unit in the 70s then I will add one of these in place of the ceiling fan - which being reduced size ad all the problems ive heard of with them and parts falling id much rather have the added a/c and can turn off bedroom a/c if need be- I am installing a 7k fuel injected onan - and hopefully with solar running fridge and few other things I could posiibly run all 3 I needed- really would only need the 3rd unit during mid-day and afternoon.

im leaving pick up unit in am- ill post pics the ceiling and where I would add 3rd unit- the regional rep was very helpful in getting some changes done and conferenced in a engineer and we discussed what I wanted- I was trying to get them to run a 110 and thermostat line to the living room fantastic an location or add another fantastic fan in place ceiling and got a o butte said I could put a a/c where ceiling fan was and use the 110 wire that the fan is connected to

I will have real world testing soon - I also have the dual pane windows and yeti package for the extra insulation

Attachments

• navasota2.jpg
    navasota2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 34
  • navasota1.jpg
    navasota1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

D_BTravelers

Esscobra, that is a beautiful unit! We are going to have slide toppers added to our new Big Country in a month or two. I agree that you need them in the Texas heat, and we are hoping it will make rainstorms a lot quieter on the roof of the bedroom slide out. I have woke up a couple of times in our TT thinking we were in a hard rainstorm :eek: only to find that is wasn't raining that hard, it was just noisy on the thinner roof of the slide. :rolleyes:

D_BTravelers

One other issue we encountered during our first trip was the Trailair pin box air bag when south on us. I had hitched up and gone about 20 miles when I looked at the hitch in the mirror. Noticed that the hitch was riding very low so I stopped to find the airbag mostly deflated. We stopped at the first opportunity and I added some air only to lose it again before we stopped to camp. Looking at the airbag when it was inflated, I realized it was off-center or crooked also. I emailed LCI and sent some photos of the airbag to them. They were very nice and let me know immediately the bag was defective and needed to be replaced. They wanted me to take it to the supplier that Explore USA (90 mile round trip in Dallas traffic...pass) had purchased it from, but I asked if I could just change it myself. He said yes, and no, it did not void the warranty. The service agent shipped a new airbag out that evening and I received it within 4 days. He also sent an instruction sheet which was nice, but the whole thing is pretty straightforward. Installed it last night and it only took about 1/2 hour total; the newer airbag appears to be slightly larger diameter than the old one, but fit perfectly. The only thing that I had some trouble with is the bottom bolt in the airbag is in a keyed slot, mine was stuck and wouldn't move, so I had to first unscrew it a bit before I could slide it over and out. Taking it out again this weekend and now have most everything fixed at this point, so we should be good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

D_BTravelers

David

The salesman told us it had a power management system, so you know it has to be true. Just like everything you read on the internet is true. LOL!:p I believe both of the roof top units are 15K, so hopefully they will cool us enough to be good. The awning over the dining slide is sounding more attractive all the time.

david5311

David,

1st off, to run two air conditioners, you don't need the Power Control System such as comes with Landmark 365 or it's little brother that comes with some of the large toy haulers. If the Big Country has added that feature for 2018 models, or if a 3rd A/C option has been added, those details have yet to be announced on the HeartlandRVs.com website.

If you'll be in 100 degree weather a lot, you might consider moving up to the Landmark 365 where 3 A/C units are available and the Power Control System manages power usage to allow all 3 to be used concurrently.

Thanks for the Info.
I Just received a email from Heartland that said the only Big Country unit using the new roof system with the batt Insulation and new duct is the BC 3150RL. That all the other BC Units including the 3650RL still use the Block foam Insulation and have the AC duct cut out of the foam.
Can You or anyone else confirm this?

The Landmark 365 is to heavy for my Truck. They are not a option for me.

Do you know if Cruiser RV and Heartland use the same manufacture. There South fork units look just like the Big Country Units? Also on Cruiser RV facebook page there is a post about Heartland increasing they buildings and Cruiser RV builds were involved.

David

danemayer

Do you know if Cruiser RV and Heartland use the same manufacture. There South fork units look just like the Big Country Units? Also on Cruiser RV facebook page there is a post about Heartland increasing they buildings and Cruiser RV builds were involved.

David

From the Thor announcement:
01/05/2015
ELKHART, Ind., Jan. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Thor Industries, Inc. (NYSE: THO) today announced the acquisition of towable recreational vehicle manufacturer Cruiser RV (CRV) and luxury fifth wheel recreational vehicle manufacturer DRV by its Heartland Recreational Vehicles, LLC subsidiary, in a series of integrated transactions which included the purchase of equity interests, as well as the purchase of certain real estate used in the ongoing operations of the business.

The main manufacturing facility is probably separate from Heartland-branded manufacturing. But it would be logical to assume that some sub-assemblies made at Heartland might over time be used by Cruiser. And supplier volume purchase agreements would likely be applied to Cruiser. So similarities wouldn't be too surprising.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Thanks for the Info.
I Just received a email from Heartland that said the only Big Country unit using the new roof system with the batt Insulation and new duct is the BC 3150RL. That all the other BC Units including the 3650RL still use the Block foam Insulation and have the AC duct cut out of the foam.
Can You or anyone else confirm this?

The Landmark 365 is to heavy for my Truck. They are not a option for me.

David

Today we were at the RV Show in Dallas. We happened to see a South Fork Santa Fe, made by Cruiser RV. We walked in and it was almost the spitting image of our Big Country 4010RD. Same identical floor plan. Exact same countertops, same entertainment center, same cabinetry, same window treatments. The flooring, cabinet hardware, doors, and light fixtures were different. The exterior of course was different as well. It was like deja vu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk