Novice 5th wheeler with problematic new Bighorn

Our fifth wheel was delivered June 26th, 2012. Prior to leaving the dealership we determined the bathroom fan would not operate properly. The repair could not be made prior to our first trip.
On our first trip we attempted to open the DVD cabinet door but it broke. I made the repairs with clamps and gorilla glue. Some of the bureau drawers failed to close flush and remain closed. The closure problem also existed in some drawers in the kitchen.

During the first trip problems surfaced with the kitchen slide bottom trim detaching from the slide out. The TV antenna would not rotate, because it had sealant on the base that should rotate. Water leaks at the water pump connections allowed water into the cargo storage compartment. Another leak was found at the kitchen sink. This was a failure to completely seal the sink to the corian top. The last surprise of the trip was the black water cleanout. Water gushed out immediately upon use and it was determined the connection lacked a hose washer.

Prior to our second trip I cut a hatch opening on the back of the cargo compartment. This allowed easy assess to the plumbing components without unscrewing a large board. On this trip we encountered electrical problems with the lights in the dinette slideout. The cable wire was also found to be faulty. Troubleshooting with a wire from the campground supply to the rear of the TV indicated the problem was in the 5th wheel cable wiring. It was also determined the surround sound system is not wired to the TV only the receiver AM/FM radio works on the system.

I have a mechanical and construction background. I thought the Heartland Bighorn was going to be a quality unit prior to ordering. Apparently their quality control has slipped, since I viewed their production information.
I know these problems are not found throughout the industry having friends that own 5th wheels from other manufacturers.

Is this the norm for Bighorn owners?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
First let me say welcome to the forum.
I would not say that this is the norm. But contrary to what your friends say, these problems are found throughout the industry. Just read other forums and Trailer Life magazine.
So, having said that all the issues you have experienced are minor things that your dealer can, or should be able to, fix.
In fact some of them should have been caught during the dealer PDI.
Hang in there, you will love your new Bighorn once everything is ironed out.

Peace
Dave

jayandhisgals

Did you get to stay in your unit on the lot prior to taking delivery? We did, and let me tell you we found several issues, (about 30) not as bad as yours, but still ....
I wanted everything perfect before I would accept the unit. After 4 days and buging the death out of the dealer / service department they finally got 97% of the issues resolved. I am still waiting on some parts and there are a few more items I need to contact HL about. But all in all we like the layout of our unit, we got a really great deal and I beleive in the long run it will be exactly what we wanted. Hang in there. Work with your dealership. Your still under warranty. People on this forum are fantastic and can offer all kinds of advice on how to repair or get repairs for just about anything. I know it's fusturating, but it will all work out and you'll soon be a happy camper.

MTPockets

Spend time and go thru all your manuals and jot down all the recommended checks and maintenance items, it will pay off for you in reducing future problems as well. I found a lot of loose bolts and connections when new. A whole bunch of my water line connections, sink drain pipes were found loose with small leaks. After I tightened these - no more problems. Also, check with a torque wrench your wheel lug nuts, pin box monting nuts, U-bolts holding your axles. I found just about all of these below the suggested torque and on subsequent checks many had loosened again. After 3 or 4 times, they seem to be finally staying tight.

Westwind

Fortunately we didn't have that number of problems with our 2012 Bighorn 3070, but we did have a few, faulty thermostat on the fantastic fan, crown molding not properly applied, missing screw heads on outside screws, finish coming off cabinet doors, and the nut that holds the kitchen slide hydraulic to the frame came off so we couldn't open the slide, better than not being able to close it. Exterior caulking missing. Electric was fine and no water leaks.
I expected problems since that's the way it is with RV's, quality control does leave something to be desired. I didn't do a PDI before pickup so I expected to fine some problems. I picked the trailer up 200 miles away from home at a dealer and had to be at work the next day so I'm to blame for not finding the problems prior to acceptance.
Do I love my Bighorn, yes, we spent 3 1/2 months in it this year snow birding in Florida. I expect we will have other problems, that's the nature of the beast.
But I feel for the money I paid we got alot when I compared it to other brands, and we will enjoy it in the years to come.

aatauses

We also had several pproblems to deal with when our unit was new. However as I chat with other owners they all seem to have issues. One common thread I hear is that after about 1-11/2 years the probalems are all resolved and minimal issues after that.
al
You will love the BH

tljack

We have a 2013 Road Warrior and overall have been very happy with it. So far we have spent 7 weeks in it. On our first trip, the water pump was making a terrible racked. I figured out where is is and accessed it. the interior floo of the compartment was soaking wet. Turns out that the drain for the bathroom sink was attached with about 1 turn! The water pump was flopping around. The screws were unnconnected. When looking at them they were barely long enough to reach through the base of the pump and about 1/8" ino tthe wood. Glad this happened so we found the leak.

Most of the other problems we have had have been our doing.

I mentioned on another list here that our switch for our landing gear failed. The factory was awesome to work with and got me a switch and now all is well.

The adventure continues....................

Pizzaguy

We have enjoyed most of the summer in our 2013 after taking delivery in May this year and only experienced 1 major issue and our warranty repair list is very small. The major issue was a hydraulic ram that came apart due to a faulty cylinder which I can't fault Heartland for. The rest of the repair list is very minor except to get rid of the "popping" noise from the level-up system. I believe the quality of our 2013 is even better than the 2011 we had, but both units are still far better than the previous Keystone models (including Montana) we had.