Now I'm an Owner

Westwind

I joined this forum in 2005, lurked every so often but seriously this year as we made up our minds to upgrade to a new fifthwheel. July 13, day before my birthday we bought a new 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3070RL. This floorplan has everything we had been looking for and maybe more. We wanted the TV positioned so we could see it directly from the couch and chairs and one side of the kitchen table. A side isle with enclosed bath. Washer/Dryer hookups in separate closet with W/D facing into the bedroom, we didn't want to have to go into the closet to remove clothing from the tub.
Found one on the lot with the Pecan cabinets and Ulta Leather couch and chairs, worked a deal with the dealer on adding the W/D and a bedroom low profile AC, the deal was a good one and now I'm waiting for a Trail Saver BD3 hitch to be delivered so I can install it in the truck.
We pick it up on 7/28, the dealer is about 4 hours from our house so it's going to be a long day getting to and from and doing a PDI on it at the dealer. So far our experience with the dealer has been very positive. But I'm sure we will enjoy the day anyhow. Really excited It's going to be a big change from an 8x26 ft TT with no slides to all the comforts of home and more.

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Congratulations.
Wow, 6 years of research --I thought I was thorough doing research.

With the options you added, it sounds like you got all the bases covered. Have fun and enjoy the BIG change.

jimtoo

Hi Westwind,

CONGRATULATIONS on your new Bighorn. I think you will be pleased with your new unit. When you go for PDI, do a very through inspection and if possible even spend the night there at the dealer or close by so you can really try things out for your self.

Jim M

bobber

We purchased our 3070RL last October and just love it. The floor plan is great and I love the island. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do. We did not install the washer and dryer. Let me know what you purchased so I can check into it.
Barbara

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels". Enjoy and travel safely.

Vinny773

Enjoy! We are waiting delivery of our 3455RL Bighorn. I contacted the factory and the Rep said it should be coming off the line this Thursday. We can't wait. I'm a newbie, so excuse me for the dumb question, but what is the BD3 hitch? I still am looking for for a hitch for my truck.

Westwind

Hi Vinny773, previously we had a Travel Trailer and I had a Hensley Hitch (Best Money I ever spent), after selling the TT I tried to sell the Hensley. Got some calls but no bites. Hensley had a deal where they would buy it back and credit the buy back towards a new fifth wheel hitch. We needed a hitch so we bought a Trail Saver BD3, it's an Air Suspension Hitch and if you go to http://www.hensleymfg.com you should be able to get all the info
you need. Not cheap but good warranty and everyone I know who has one is very satisfied.
I let everyone know once I try it out. Problem is I don't have enough comparision knowledge so it will just be my word I guess.

Vinny773

thanks Westwind for the link. I also been doing a lot of looking and I'm looking at the B&W Companion Hitch, rated out at 18,00 lbs. Anyone have any problems with that hitch or recommend something else? Lot of choices out there, I just lack the knowledge. I did order the TrailerAir Glide for the 5th wheel.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Congratulations on the new rig! I am sure it was worth the wait to get such a nice RV with everything you were looking for!

Happy Camping!

Westwind

Thanks for the best wishes Steve, we started out looking at Big Country but couldn't get anywhere with the dealer, he wanted to start negociating at MSRP, now he has one priced much lower which is more than we paid for the Bighorn. Local Bighorn dealer wanted in another state wanted quite a few thousand more and never responded to my phone calls.
The Dealer we ended up with had one on the internet that we liked and he was willing to add the W/D and AC and give us the price we felt was fair for him and us. They also have a good rep and I just liked talking to the owner on the phone there was no endless sales dickering. He said I can't afford your offer, so I upped it to a price I was comfortable
with and he said that sounds good. How easy was that. It was 250 miles away but I really liked dealing with him and his staff.

Last edited:

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I love my B & W hitch. Like having the bed open without it after having rails in it for last 10 yrs.

Boca_Shuffles

We pick it up on 7/28, the dealer is about 4 hours from our house so it's going to be a long day getting to and from and doing a PDI on it at the dealer.

You might consider staying overnight at the dealers or a nearby CG. It will give you a chance to relax and possibly find some small items to be corrected or understood.

Westwind

Unfortunately we can't we both have work obligations the next two days and it has to be delivered prior to August 1 for us to qualify for the $400 gas card from Heartland.
We will just have to do the best we can on a PDI, if my wife does the inside and I do the outside and systems hopefully we will get through the list. I haven't sprung this on her, I think I'll do it when we get there, telling her the quicker we get through it the faster we head home.
We are used to doing it this way, our first trip in our previous TT was a 1400 mile trip to Florida over 2 weeks and back to RI, yes we are nuts but we always have trips with lots of story's to tell, I look at it this way, if it don't work on electricity hopefully it will work on gas, and if it don't light we have a lantern and Flashlight. I expect problems, it is a moving house. I feel I've picked a good dealer and product.
Hopefully we will get out in it a couple of times in August. September & October I work almost full time with most weekends off, the state campground might have some vacancies. It' only 30 minutes away.

We did our PDI in the afternoon and we were offered overnight at the dealer. We went home instead and found a snag in the bedroom screen (minor). Other than a few minor issues over the years waranty, still the quality is way up compared to all our previous experiences. The technicians at the dealer gave us a very good pdi and tips on what to look for. Good luck

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Congratulations! We've had a Big Country for the past 3 years and ordered a new Bighorn 4685RL from the factory while at the rally in Goshen. We pick it up on the 1st of August and we can't wait!

mhsmith57

Hi, new soon to be a 2011 H. Bighorn 3055RL owner on August1/2nd! After mulling over Jayco Designers & Eagles, H. Bigcountry's, and even a 2009 Teton for 3/4 ton trucks, we chose the Bighorn. It appears for the modest price of $48K to $65K, pending where you shop, you're getting a pretty darn good coach. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help.
Mark

DRGalligher

Hi Vinny773, previously we had a Travel Trailer and I had a Hensley Hitch (Best Money I ever spent), after selling the TT I tried to sell the Hensley. Got some calls but no bites. Hensley had a deal where they would buy it back and credit the buy back towards a new fifth wheel hitch. We needed a hitch so we bought a Trail Saver BD3, it's an Air Suspension Hitch and if you go to http://www.hensleymfg.com you should be able to get all the info
you need. Not cheap but good warranty and everyone I know who has one is very satisfied.
I let everyone know once I try it out. Problem is I don't have enough comparision knowledge so it will just be my word I guess.

We too previously had a 32' TT with a Hensley Arrow and when we purchased our fifth wheel we traded in the Hensley for the TrailerSaver BD3 - worth every penny just like the Arrow. It is a smooth ride and we just went on a boondocking trip requiring forest road travel and the TrailerSaver truly lived up to it's word.

DRGalligher

Hi, new soon to be a 2011 H. Bighorn 3055RL owner on August1/2nd! After mulling over Jayco Designers & Eagles, H. Bigcountry's, and even a 2009 Teton for 3/4 ton trucks, we chose the Bighorn. It appears for the modest price of $48K to $65K, pending where you shop, you're getting a pretty darn good coach. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help.
Mark

You are right! The BH's are luxury models and much better value than Keystone Montanas.

Vinny773

Hello Everyone,
My Bighorn 3455RL came in and MarySue and I just completed our PDI. The unit is wonderful and we didn't have any issues during the PDI. Crossroads was excellent and I strongly recommend anyone looking to buy a unit and live in the area or are willing to travel to Newfeild, New Jersey buy it from them. We were able to spend the first night at Crossroads and complete our PDI with staff around or the next morning. Power and water were supplied. Sean took us through our PDI and was very knowlegable about the unit. He was very patient and understanding with us. MarySue took many notes which I'm sure will help me in the future. We are excited about being new Heartland Owners and look forward to our first rally. Debbie B. if you read this thank you for all your information and look forward to meeting you in the future.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family Vinny773. Glad your PDI went well. Looking forward to hooking up with you folks down the road. Murry135