Numerous questions regarding RV size and state and National Parks

Hello to all!

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a F350 King Ranch DRW. That will complete the first step to our dream. Step two will be purchasing our RV - torn between a Landmark Madison or Newport.

Now for my questions - These rigs have residential fridges, so with the limitations most parks put on generator use, and no power available at the sites I've looked at - what do you do about power, particularly for the fridge, but in general too? Also are you even able to get into most of the parks with a rig this size?

I'd also consider installing solar or some other alternative power source - but I'm told by some that this would in no way provide enough power to support the residential fridge - is this true?

Thanks in advance for any comments!!

Steve

danemayer

Hi Steve,

To camp without shore power in a Landmark 365, you'll probably want a pretty good solar installation. The residential refrigerator is powered by a 1,000 watt inverter - 1,000 watts to handle the compressor start. It uses less when running. Several forum members have installed enough solar gear for off-grid adventures. Here's a link to our Solar sub-forum. And you'll likely hear from some of them.

As for campgrounds that can handle longer coaches, you'll definitely want to check out RVParkReviews.com and look at how the campground is rated for Big Rigs. Also read comments about navigating the park.

Thanks Danemayer for the response and the excellent links!! So just using Glacier NP as an example, and using the RVParkReviews.com link, I saw no spots available within the park itself, which I understand is pretty typical for most N.P.'s. This being the case, is it safe to assume that anyone or most anyone with a large 5th wheel or Class A, park/camp outside the park and use another mode of transportation to get around the park? Are there options, short of a smaller camper?

Thanks!
Steve

Lynn1130

We generally park outside of parks that attract large crowds for several reason.

1. Many do not allow rigs over 30/35 feet.

2. Many do not have full hookups at the site. They may have water and electric but no sewer. I don't like waiting in a 10 rig line to dump at the end of a stay.

3. Places like Yellowstone, and Glacier have LOTS of traffic and trying to deal with that while pulling a trailer is a zoo. (many of those people have no idea how to drive in congested traffic)

4. Selection of eating places is limited, high priced and crowded.

5. If you are in a private RV camp you generally have 50 amps, water, sewer and a shot at making your satellite system work without overhead obstruction.

I will add this if you are planning a visit to any of the national parks during the summer months. Get up early, have breakfast and get out early. Be done with the day's sightseeing by 10 or so. The other groups will not get the kids out of bed until 9, if they are lucky. The animals are still out (the ones that you would not see later in the day) and photos are so much better in morning light. Parking lots are empty at popular sites and there are no lines.

Glacier is one np that has usfs campgrounds within an hour of the park. Spots are way bigger and you can run your generator during the day. Lot less of a rat race. More pet friendly.

I hear you Lynn1130 & Redmond Chuck - I guess these are just things we need to evaluate and weigh before making the decision on what to purchase. We're new to RV'ing, and don't want to make an expensive mistake and one that we end up regretting. My sister & brother in law have a small camper. They bathe in the park's facilities and "rough it" perhaps a little more than we'd like. Although the do have a small shower in their camper, they use Park facilities due to the amount of water used and the gray water storage (I think that's the term?). They are retired, and travel a lot in their camper and love it!

We're still a few years from retiring and have done no RV'ing yet. My sister recommends renting first prior to making a purchase, maybe this is a good idea? We prefer a few more creature comforts and a little more space than what their setup offers.

Back to the residential fridge - if we were parked in a bare bones site, aren't we able to use the generator for some period of time? Would this not charge the batteries enough to allow the fridge to run long enough till the next time the Gen could be powered up to recharge the batteries?

My apologies if these are lame questions, but i've found there are much more experienced folks here and more honest than some of the salesman I've talked to at RV shows.

Thanks again!
Steve

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Some NP and USFS CG sites are non-reservable only first come, first serve.
We've stayed at Apgar in Glacier. There are "pull out" sites there that will accommodate 40' plus rigs but you're boondocking. No hookups so you need solar or a generator which can only be operated specific hours of the day.
For any public CG any thing found on internet searches is very beneficial. I use Google Earth too as a visual tool if we have significant interest in a CG.
Quiet hours are established and expected to be observed at nearly all public and commercial campgrounds. Exceptions exist however...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Most camping sites including forest service have quiet hours. Generators have to be off during those hours. I do not have a residential fridge so cannot help there and perhaps someone with one can jump in but I think you will have to run the generator most of the day or have a large battery bank to keep things cool enough.

danemayer

Thanks Danemayer for the response and the excellent links!! So just using Glacier NP as an example, and using the RVParkReviews.com link, I saw no spots available within the park itself, which I understand is pretty typical for most N.P.'s. This being the case, is it safe to assume that anyone or most anyone with a large 5th wheel or Class A, park/camp outside the park and use another mode of transportation to get around the park? Are there options, short of a smaller camper?

Thanks!
Steve

I think in general you'll find that the older the park, the less likely it is to accommodate a large rig. Case in point, most Texas state parks were built quite some time ago and have mostly smaller sites. Colorado state parks were built more recently and most have very spacious sites. I would think that most National Parks are on the older side and are smaller.