NuWa CEO about HeartLand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

He also had this to say in a posting back in January - "We have been one of the top five to ten producers of 5th wheels in the country for nearly 40 years, building over 50,000 5th wheel trailers during that time. We will drop to number 11 this year as another mass producer from Elkhart is trying to "buy" their way into the market with low price."

*Source - NuWa Owners Forum

Seems to me, if you have genuine concerns regarding slippage of your overall production position within your industry, commenting on it in an owners forum isn't going to be your most productive approach toward improving that number.

Country

Pulltab said:
Heartland has hit them where it hurts. :)
Exactly

Further more, every poster to this thread has made excellent points.
As a "soon to be" Heartland owner, this thread has made me feel even better about my decision. :)

And Jim, keep up the good work!

Scott

Wow.

I read the comments by their CEO. Wow. The thought that comes to mind is "sour grapes".
I guess I would be a little disheartened myself if my company which had been around for as long as they have had been completely passed by - by some start up company that has quickly risen to the #4 fifth wheel manufacturer in the world. His post reflects the grumblings of a company that is down, like most of the industry, nearly 20%. Heartland just happens to be the easiest target because of their unprecedented success in a down market.
The shear number of fifth wheels that we produce (nearly 2,500 this year – or 4X what they have produced) - translates into the fact that you are going to find more coaches with some issues. If Nu-Wa is going to go on record that "none" of the coaches they have produced have had issues – I'd like to hear it. Is that played out on their forum – that every coach is perfect and every customer thinks their coaches are perfect? It's possible, but not probable. I take heart, because as you know, there are more Heartland owners on record than ever as being very satisfied with their coaches. Yes, we have made mistakes, and yes, some of our vendor produced products that we have installed have had issues – but w hat is undeniable is that Heartland does everything we can to take care of our customers, issues or not. It should come as no surprise, that as a major player in the towable market, even if you make 99% of the customers happy – our 1% of dissatisfied customers is going to drastically outnumber those of the smaller manufacturers. There are always going to be a percentage of unhappy customers. The reason that Heartland continues to outsell the competition is because even when we do make a mistake, we make it right – and our product simply offers more for the money.
I find it humorous that one of their posts attempted to compare models of Hitchhiker II vs. the Heartland Big Country – just because the floorplan is similar. They aren't even meant to be in the same price category. This is our number three product, down the price point chain. I guess we should be honored that they would bring the Big Country up to the Hitchhiker's level for a comparison – because we have two higher end models (Landmark and Bighorn) that both offer more and are still less expensive.
Forum members understand the "Power of the People". There are a whole lot of people speaking on those sales lots by putting their money down on the Heartland products. We talk to our customers when coming up with new floorplan offerings. Do we look at what others are doing out there – and try to improve on it? You bet we do. We also come up with truly unique floorplans. You have been here when we are looking at what we can do to improve on what floorplans are out there – and you have seen how we take bits and pieces of what has proven successful and done our best to add our own creativity to them. In reality – there have only been so many different fifth wheel configurations over the last ten years that really work and every manufacturer has some version of those core layouts.
In regards to his comments about Heartland not being VERY innovative – where is their universal docking center? Where is their larger, drop frame storage with diamond plate vinyl flooring and steel tie-downs? Where is their 88-degree turning radius for short-bed trucks? Where is their front closet that you can walk into – even on our lower priced models? What he calls "smoke and mirrors" was just issued a Patent by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. This is one thing that exposes the motive of the post the most – claiming that they had some sort of version of this design first. Come on, that's not even close to being the truth. Our design was based on innovative thinking and a desire to come up with a response to all of the people hitting their front caps with their short bed trucks while trying to execute a turn. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he really believed what he wrote – wouldn't he be on the phone with his attorney or call the USPTO himself and file some sort of grievance? He won't because he would lose.
Heartland product sells because it offers a fresh look (not dated), great features, and great value for the money. And we aren't the only ones. There are a number of other 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel manufacturers who are doing well and keep up with what the customers are demanding. I challenge people to take a close look at our product vs. others. Are the designs and interiors fresh and new – or have they been the same for years? Are their counter tops laminated, or just square edged, or do they have an elegant waterfall edge? Are you stuck with clear glass inserts in the cabinet doors unless you upgrade – or can you get the dark tinted glass inserts like on Heartland's product? Is their work station (desk area) typically small, and tough to fit a computer or actually do work in – or is it roomy like Heartlands? Does their fireplace have a flat, uneventful wooden frame around it – or nice, carved out spindles and mantle like the Heartland? Where is the room for the TV in the bedroom? Does it have built-in flat screen TV, but still offer loads of storage space like the Heartland? Heartland offers a large Dometic microwave convection oven, do they offer a lesser model Dometic? How can their larger coaches not have 7,000 lb. axles like the Heartland, but continue to only offer 6,000 lb.? How about our 12 gallon hot water heater vs. their 6 or 8 gal.? Our 15K A/C vs. their 13.5K? What about their suspension? HL uses a Trail-Air – what do they have as standard? All this – and Heartland is still THOUSANDS LESS than the competition.
This attack just came out of nowhere and honestly, it irks me a little. To those who attack, I say, if you are going to pick a fight – don't bring a pea shooter… Get your facts straight. Are you seriously going to complain because Heartland products are so much less expensive than yours?
To the consumers, I say line them up side by side – feature for feature and you are going to find out the real reason we (Heartland) are getting picked on is a lot of units out there have been judged by the consumer to be over-priced. They are spending their money where they are going to get the most value.
Like always, the customers will decide what they want and where the value is for their investment.
Right now, we are happy with the results as shown in the dramatically increased retail registrations for Heartland.
ST

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Just got back on line to see if everything was still civil here.:) I would like to thank all the members for such good temperament and constructive criticism. I started this post 20 hours ago and already has 696 views and I imagine quite a few are recent new members.
Jim, John an all forum members if you think this thread should be locked go ahead , you won't hurt my feelings......Ken

snuffy

Well, I hope this doesn't escalate into a war of words. I always heard "don't wrestle with a pig because you'll both get dirty and the pig actually likes it." I won't dignify with a response.

lwfox002

I agree with Scott. The reason Heartland has attracted so much attention from them is the inroads they have made into the market. We looked at many units prior to our purchase. All brands had several similar floor plans. We chose the Sundance 2997BHS for it's options, layout, quality and price. We are very happy with our purchase. Very few minor problems. I feel that we received our money's worth. :) :) :)

Tom of Ypsi

All I can say is well said Scott. I have been reading both forums off and on all day and by far this has been the most factual post I have seen. Keep up the good work Heartland.
A happy owner

jbeletti

Thread Closed and some context

Hi all,

I closed this thread tonight as I felt it has run its course. Ken (katkens) began this thread this morning as he felt it was of interest. After reading the thread on the NuWa forum, I agree.

Product owners can be a loyal lot. We saw some membership growth here and I am sure the NuWa forum saw the same. I saw a lot of brand loyalty here and over there. And I think that's very admirable and Mike at NuWa and Scott at Heartland are most likely very appreciative of that support and loyalty.

Yet as large as the RV industry is, it's a small group of players at the same time. And one never knows what the future holds. So with that comes the closure to this thread.

For our new members today, welcome! Some background to put this all in some context:

My name is Jim Beletti, I own this forum. Three years ago, as brand owners, I co-created it with Jeff Torsrud, now a Double Tree Mobile Suites product owner.

John Morgan (jpmorgan37) is a brand owner and is the forum moderator.

Scott Tuttle is the VP of Marketing at Heartland RVs, LLC and is one of the founding partners. Scott is our primary factory contact as it relates to this forum.

Lets move on and happy camping.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.