NY to CA

NYSUPstater

We are toying w/ a couple options in which we need those that have done this, their advice.

Looking at:

1. Taking 2 weeks and go I-90 west and hit: Mt Rushmore & Yellowstone. From here, either go due west to WA or OR to ocean then south to CA (San Fran area) or from Yellowstone cut diagonally down towards San Fran. Specifically Apple HQ se of San Fran. From here, head towards Vegas/Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, St Louis Arch and aim back home.

2. 1 week vaykay & fly to San Fran/Apple, rent a car and go to Vegas/Hoover Dam/ GC NP and fly back home out of Vegas.

Would be pulling the 5er with #1. Is it possible to do in 2 weeks? 3 people, 1 dog and 1 cat. Already know it's a LOT of driving and unknowns are weather, breakdowns, traffic etc.

One reason all the way to CA is DS wants to see the Pacific Ocean (bucket list and having just graduated from HS) (besides Apple HQ). I personally want to take the RV, but logistically, may not work out due to time constraints. At this time, I'd be lucky to get a week off back to back VS just 1 week, but it doesn't hurt to try and work w/ co-workers on getting 2 weeks during the summer.

Your thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you want to take the 5er shorten your trip. If you want to see the ocean, fly. Otherwise you'll spend a small fortune in fuel, spend all your time staring out the windshield, and taint yourself and the DW on any future long range road trips

wdk450

I drove from Northern Ca. to the Goshen Indiana Heartland National Rally in 2013. I drove 8 hour days, with minimal breaks, going about 440 miles a day (at 55 mph, a 36 gallon tank of diesel daily), on straight-thru I-80, and drove for 6 full days in each direction. I think that driving this trip in a 2 week period is nearly impossible. Maybe you could look into renting an RV on the West Coast in conjunction with flying out. Even the train from Ca. to Chicago, travelling night and day, takes 3 full days.

Gary521

If you are going to try to do that all in two weeks - forget it. There is too much to see and too much to do. When you get home you are going to say to yourself - " what did I just see." Not much as you aint got the time to enjoy any one place.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you haven't had your coach very long and haven't done longer trips, you'll be very disappointed if one hiccup messes up everything... which is what will happen trying to pack so many miles into a short time. If google maps says it should take 6 hours, we count on 8-9, because we don't go over 65 and we stop for rest stops, food, and that "unexpected issue" that might come up, like -- weird looking tire wear, piece of rv has become unsecure, strange noise from the truck, left my credit card at the truck stop, wreck causing traffic slowdown, etc etc etc.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wehavefun

Great advice folks!!! Will discuss it w/ the Mrs and decide from there what to do.
2 weeks is very difficult for most people, however a professional truck driver like you can run out in 3 days, 3 long days! I have done it more than once. You will spend lots of money on fuel, but having your bed and food is priceless! I have done it with 5th wheel and with mini van.

Last trip with mini van, ate lunch with one daughter in NY on Wednesday and had dinner with other daughter in San Diego Friday night. Stayed in hotels both nights! As you know, best way to make time......keep your *** in the seat!!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
You could fly out here and use the Turo app to rent someone’s car and air bnb at peoples houses on the beach.
I rented a guys Tesla who worked at google for a few days a couple months ago. Beats a econobox rental car and they will drop off for you at the airport.
Its less expensive to fly into SFO but way more convenient to fly into SJC to go to Apple.