Odor under kitchen sink

DonHelenL

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3010RE. I am having a lot of grey water odor coming out from under the sink which is located in the island. I have treated the tank (grey#2) with treatment but as soon as dishwater is drained into tank the smell gets stronger. Could this be associated with the pressure equalizing valve on the drains? I contacted Heartland and was told to use some treatment. This is not working.. Any one with a suggestion?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would go to a building supply store and purchase a new air admittance valve. They are under $10 US.
That is the thingy located on the drain line under the sink.
To check the valve, put a plastic baggie over the valve and tape it tight. That should make the odor go away.
It is not uncommon for them to fail.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You mentioned the dish washer. I hope you clean the dishes off of food debris prior to putting them in the dish washer. Keep in mind the RV is not like a home as you have a holding tank. Even if you leave the drain valve open food particles can and probably will accumulate in the holding tank. As the food decays you will have a growing odor. It has been our experience that the gray tank will smell worse than the black tank. It is important the flush the gray tank too. Also a disinfectant of some sort in the gray tank will help. Also as mentioned above you need to check out the air admittance valve.

I feel kind of silly because I can't find the valve in kitchen or the bathroom. Is it under the sink, but in the cabinet? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Follow the drain line from the sink. In the kitchen, it may be further away in a cabinet so that it is over the tank. Same for the bathroom.

porthole

Retired
My bathroom vent is up high under the sink cabinet.
My kitchen vent is up high behind a cabinet drawer (next to the sink cabinet).

Odds are good it will be difficult to see, but can be felt.

Have new ones when you inspect. Not practicable to go through the trouble to remove inspect and put back in when they are only a few bucks each.

Thank you. I will look again when I get home. Both drains drop straight down through the floor, so I guess I'll have to get down in the basement behind the wall to see where they come through. This makes sense because the odor is stronger in the basement than in the kitchen. No smell at all outside the RV. I really appreciate all the advice I've gotten through the Forum.

hoefler

Look for the trap, follow it to the pipe that goes down through the floor. Where the trap connects to the pipe going down, there is a TEE, go up from the TEE, you will find the Studer valve on it threaded in. Replace the Studer valve ( air admittance valve ).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While you're in the basement, try to inspect the top of the tank where the pipes enter it. There have been some cases of bad or broken joints.

Feeling kind of dumb now... I do have a leaking valve on the holding tank that is dripping on the ground. I opened the drain valve so there wouldn't be accumulation in the tank, but I know that's not smart on the black water tank... probably the same thing here????