Offensive smell coming from Rear kitchen area when running bathroom exhaust fan

Charlieb

Hi all,

New 2022 Landmark Chesapeake owner. We get a really bad odor that seems to be coming from our kitchen area when we have the exhaust fan in the bathroom on. Not exactly sure where it is coming from, but think it may be from the Studor vent that they have on the drain line of kitchen sink? Does anyone else have this issue and if so how did you fix it??

Thanks in advance

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can test your theory by putting a baggie one the Studor vent and securing it with a rubber band, then turn on your vent. If you get no foul odor replace the Studor vent. If you still get the odor, keep looking.
It is not uncommon to replace that air admittance vent. They are inexpensive and can be found at any big box home improvement store. Home Depot comes to mind.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

I read many posts about the studor valve.
In our case, it was the gap where the holding tank vent pipes exit the roof. I removed the vent pipe cover then sealed that gap. No more odor. Apparently when the exhaust fan ran, it would pull odor from the gap in the ceiling.

Charlieb

I read many posts about the studor valve.
In our case, it was the gap where the holding tank vent pipes exit the roof. I removed the vent pipe cover then sealed that gap. No more odor. Apparently when the exhaust fan ran, it would pull odor from the gap in the ceiling.
Thanks

mlpeloquin

One thing, we had both problems and employed both solutions. The big "BUT" do not purchase the cheep studor valve. The $35 - $40 dollor whit one is the one you want. Not the black $7 - $10 dollar one. The cheep one has a rubber flap to seal and the other uses a spring.

centerline

so far, in all of the trailers that I have owned, I have never seen a need for the studor valves they install...

I understand the concept and what they are for, but that situation has never occured and I cant imagine that it will..... I remove them and install a pipe plug to prevent the possibility of foul odors emitting from them.

I would like to hear commentary from those that have ever removed the studor valve and capped the line, and then had troubles because of it......

we didnt have them on the RV's back in the early days, and older homes dont have them........ because if the plumbing is correct they arent needed.

Last edited:

Charlieb

One thing, we had both problems and employed both solutions. The big "BUT" do not purchase the cheep studor valve. The $35 - $40 dollor whit one is the one you want. Not the black $7 - $10 dollar one. The cheep one has a rubber flap to seal and the other uses a spring.
Thanks for the input, will do.

Charlieb

so far, in all of the trailers that I have owned, I have never seen a need for the studor valves they install...

I understand the concept and what they are for, but that situation has never occured and I cant imagine that it will..... I remove them and install a pipe plug to prevent the possibility of foul odors emitting from them.

I would like to hear commentary from those that have ever removed the studor valve and capped the line, and then had troubles because of it......

we didnt have them on the RV's back in the early days, and older homes dont have them........ because if the plumbing is correct they arent needed.
Thanks...Gotta think about this one, I know enough about plumbing to be dangerous -:) and since our issue is with the rear kitchen sink, that has it's own gray tank and not connected to the rest of the plumbing and has it's own tank vent (need to double check on the roof) so there's not a massive amount water flowing other then the sink. So I'll probably just wrap up the studor and see what happens.