Old Bighorn Hydraulic Bedroom Slide Tilt Adjustment

wdk450

Gang:
I have been playing around with this and the crack it has caused in my outside fiberglass for several months now. The outside top of the bedroom slide is about 2 inches closer to the fiberglass wall than the bottom. I had the bed all apart once, and saw that the slide ram mechanism looks like the one in the "Lippert HydraSync" booklet in the Heartland Manuals section. The ram assembly bolts to the bedroom floor on four L angle legs, and the drive end of the ram assembly is terminated in a right angle steel plate with 4 horizontally elongated holes. This mates with a right angle steel plate with 4 mating vertically elongated holes. 4 large bolts with special serrated flat washers hold the 2 angle plates together. I would imagine that this would adjust up and down highth and front to back of the trailer alignment of the slide within its wall opening. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure how slide vertical tilt was adjusted. I loosened the 4 bolt/nut assemblies, and tilted the top of the slide outward from the inside., but my fix didn't really work or hold. I measured the gap before and after adjustment, and thought I had it.
So has anyone adjusted the tilt on one of these older bedroom hydraulic slide assemblies? What is the secret? My only guess is putting shim washers under the hydraulics assembly floor mounting to get the slide pitched correctly.

Here are a couple of pictures:
030.jpg 032.jpg

wdk450

Answering my own question, the service adviser at Heartland called this a "Floating" slide mechanism, and said that tilt should self adjust. Now I am wondering if I should have left the 4 connecting bolts on the 2 mating right angle metal pieces just friction tight so that the assembly could "float" into place when the slide closes. I think I gotta take the bed all apart again to adjust it some more.

BTW, I re-repaired the fiberglass exterior crack with the strongest epoxy I could find, Super JB Weld, and that cracked in the same place again. I put white duct tape over the crack again for a while.

hoefler

I would look for another cause for the crack, possibly broken or poor welds in the frame. Measure the crack setting on the jacks and on the truck, compare the measurements, you might find that the frame flexing/moving is the cause.

wdk450

I would look for another cause for the crack, possibly broken or poor welds in the frame. Measure the crack setting on the jacks and on the truck, compare the measurements, you might find that the frame flexing/moving is the cause.

I REALLY, REALLY hope that frame welds is not the current problem. I spent 16 full days driving, and $1600 in fuel driving to Elkhart and back to California in 2013 to have the Bighorn in the Heartland Service bay for a week to fix a case of pinbox frame flex.