Oops - I put DEF in fuel tank!

FiremanBill

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this is insane that a simple mistake can result in a $15,000 repair bill. What have the vehicles become that they are this fragile.

danemayer

???
Does the Ram not use a traditional filler cap?
My 2014 RAM 3500 does not have a traditional filler cap. It came with a plug that is about 3/4" deep that fits into the top of the filler tube. Under that plug is a spring-loaded "flapper" that moves out of the way when the nozzle pushes against it. The plug looks like a disposable part.
deisel fill.jpg

Attachments

• Diesel Manual Fuel Fill.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 43

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Is it just me or does anyone else think that this is insane that a simple mistake can result in a $15,000 repair bill. What have the vehicles become that they are this fragile.

One would think that there would be some kind of DEF-specific nozzle or something . . .

danemayer

One would think that there would be some kind of DEF-specific nozzle or something . . .

I'm familiar with 3 types of DEF sources.

- There's a 1 gallon jug that is just like auto antifreeze jugs. You need a funnel to get this into the DEF fill tube.
- There's a 2.5 gallon jug that comes with a fill spout that's about 3/4" OD.
- There's a bulk fill pump at many truck stops - usually has a fill spout that's about 3/4" OD.

All of these can easily fit the diesel fill tube. All it takes is to get dumb or distracted for a few seconds.

FiremanBill

My 2014 RAM 3500 does not have a traditional filler cap. It came with a plug that is about 3/4" deep that fits into the top of the filler tube. Under that plug is a spring-loaded "flapper" that moves out of the way when the nozzle pushes against it. The plug looks like a disposable part.
View attachment 33342

I love my dodge and all but... That is just stupid. If DEF can cause that much damage so quickly why the heck do they do that, other than to guarantee that you will put int in the shop for 15 grand in repairs. Dumb, just plain dumb.

One would think...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I wonder why the DEF filler tube isn't under the hood . . .

Seems like a more logical place for something like this.

I guess I'm glad I don't have to deal with it.

14f350

def wont pump without a magnet

I am able to pump without the magnet at the Loves Truck Stop that I frequent. They sent the magnet with me on my first visit and told me to first try pumping without it. It pumped, but it also overfilled!! Now I pump it very slowly after the first gallon or so.

There doesn't seem to be a standard for DEF yet as far as refilling is concerned.

14f350

I would have to assume it does, but truthfully I don't know. I knew nothing of the magnet until I saw their DEF pump and decided to try it. The guy at the register asked me the year of my truck before he told me I probably wouldn't need the magnet.

The magnet fits over the nozzle of the DEF pump. I'm probably not the right person to answer how it works though.

Ron & Nancee
2014 F350 Lariat CC, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L Powerstroke
2015 Big Country 3650RL

branson4020

Icantre Member
Many truck stops use a DEF filler nozzle that is unlocked by a magnetic collar in the neck of the tank. If you don't have the collar built in, there are separate ones that can be temporarily slipped over the nozzle.

danemayer

Re: oops, DEF in fuel tank

Ok, found some info here.

In some cases nozzles include a magnetic lock system which correspond with magnets in an inlet adaptor in the filler neck of the vehicle's DEF tank, permitting flow when contact is made. The inlet adaptor dimensions and design are defined in ISO 22241. This is a safety feature which prevents DEF from being dispensed into the diesel tank.

pegmikef

def wont pump without a magnet

I don't know if my F350 has magnet or not, but it wouldn't do me much good because I always pour my DEF in from the plastic containers it come in. I always carry one when we are traveling.

porthole

Retired
View attachment 33342

Looks like a dust cap for shipping purposes. That is the same filler on the newer "cap-less" cars

travis_g

My F350 is in the shop now. Got bad fuel at an Exxon and they pulled two gallons of water out of the tank. It is going to be about $9500 total. I wish it were as easy to avoid as DEF.