Oops - mis-hitched for the first time - ouch!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Sorry about this "incident" but it just goes to show it can happen to any of us.

Travel safe.

marvmarcy

I have a 32k# Hensley head on my ET hitch. I place a padlock through the hole to keep the block from moving. It serves two purposes - 1) It keeps vandals from opening the hitch when I'm not attendant, and 2) it assures me the hitch can't open again once I've installed the lock.

The maker of the ET hitch has developed a kit to replace key parts of a Hensley head with heavier duty parts. This results in a stronger head with less wear and sloppiness.

Garypowell

Jim sorry to hear of the mishap. I dropped mine 2 years ago and it still haunts me.....but that's a good thing. Linda and I both now check the jaw closing every time and we still do a pull test. Not as easy with hydraulic legs but we still do it.

It was during our pull test that we dropped it so we were fortunate the legs caught the rig.....still lost the tailgate.

Safe travels.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad the damage was minimal with no one hurt. Just goes to show you Murphy is alive and well and travels with RVers. (you know Murphy's law). I always try to get Murphy to ride with the Montana owners. :)

wdk450

I have a 32k# Hensley head on my ET hitch. I place a padlock through the hole to keep the block from moving. It serves two purposes - 1) It keeps vandals from opening the hitch when I'm not attendant, and 2) it assures me the hitch can't open again once I've installed the lock.

The maker of the ET hitch has developed a kit to replace key parts of a Hensley head with heavier duty parts. This results in a stronger head with less wear and sloppiness.

On RV forums I have heard reports of vandals pulling the hitch locking bar at gas stations/rest stops. But with my Curt hitch, I ALWAYS have to move the truck slightly forwards and back to relieve king pin pressure on the hitch jaws to be able to get the hitch locking bar to move to the unhitched (out) position. Maybe that is different with different brands of hitches.

MurrayN.

I have a Reese hitch that has a flip latch to lock your handle in the locked up position and I always put a padlock on it once I am hitched up. I back up to the trailer with the handle in and not latched, you back through your dogs and watch your handle go all of the way out and then come all of the way in again, and then you are guaranteed that you are fully hooked. I hook my breakaway cord into my padlock and put the padlock onto the locking latch for the unhook handle. Never had a problem yet. Whatever system a person has - as long as they always stick to their system this should never happen, right?

8paws

So sorry for the mishap!!! We were concerned that could happen to us so we ordered a Butch's truck saver and just installed it. Hopefully, it will save us if the jaws aren't closed properly. A small investment for peace of mind!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nobody's hero here. Just another mere mortal that's on the road a LOT :)

I thought you could leap over tall RV's in a single bound and were faster than a speeding dually in overdrive. Just as well, you wouldn't look good in red and blue tights.;)

jbeletti

I thought you could leap over tall RV's in a single bound and were faster than a speeding dually in overdrive. Just as well, you wouldn't look good in red and blue tights.;)

John, you're thinking of me when I was 18. At that time, I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof and I already knew everything. Then I grew up :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, you're thinking of me when I was 18. At that time, I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof and I already knew everything. Then I grew up :)

Same here until a USAF drill instructor taught me the error of my ways. Think his name was SSgt Kryptonite.

jbeletti

Bedsaver BXR500 - ordered! $236 on Amazon.com w/ free shipping (Prime). Shipping it to Elkhart. Me and some of the guys at the Indiana rally can install it.

PreviewScreenSnapz006.jpg

Attachments

• Blue Ox Bedsaver - BXR5000.pdf
    485.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Bedsaver BXR500 - ordered! $235 on Amazon.com w/ free shipping (Prime). Shipping it to Elkhart. Me and some of the guys at the Indiana rally can install it.

2 things come to mind with that - first I thought you didn't see my comments - or ..... and second the hitch in the instructions looks like they should of had it before the install.

How about posting the Amazon link, I did a search and it does not show up.

jbeletti

2 things come to mind with that - first I thought you didn't see my comments - or ..... and second the hitch in the instructions looks like they should of had it before the install.

How about posting the Amazon link, I did a search and it does not show up.

Yes - read yours and all other comments. Limited time to respond to each.

Agreed on that image - looks just like mine with that aluminum cover crushed. What you can't see on this one is what if any damage the king pin did to the steel plate under the Bedsaver. Mine has some amount of deflection and a crease. No plans to bang it back out.

Here's a link to the item on Amazon.com.

Looks like I got lucky. When I found mine, it said $236 - 1 in stock - ships from Amazon.com - Prime.

Now - $242 - 4 in stock - ship from Overstock Auto - not Prime eligible.

But, looking to the right of the item and down, I see other options, including the one I used.

Google ChromeScreenSnapz091.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Pull test every time, no exceptions, here. When someone drops theirs, it reminds us to keep doing the test, it's worth the time. ;)

Sorry It happened, Jim, glad it wasn't worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Pull test every time, no exceptions, here. When someone drops theirs, it reminds us to keep doing the test, it's worth the time. ;)

Sorry It happened, Jim, glad it wasn't worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Erika. I've seen this happen a few times and heard (the noise) it happen a few times. I will be much more vigilant - beginning tomorrow when I hitch up to make the run to Gulf Shores, AL.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, one thing I have started doing a while back was leaving the bars to the hitch out on top of my cover until I have fixed the hitch where it is ready to hook up the next time. That way it is always in the ready position. At least once the bars are put away that is.

SilverRhino

Jim;

Glad that the damage was minimal.....when it happened to me at the end of last year I destroyed the box and the tailgate on the pickup. When I installed the hitch in my new hauler bed the very next thing I did was to install the Bed Saver! Guess I "locked the barn after the horse got loose", but I feel better with the extra insurance.

Someone mentioned the locking tab on the Reese hitch......that is what I forgot to close! I have been using that hitch for a number of years and "always" closed it and put the padlock through it........Learned to never say "always"!

ILH

Well Jim, sorry to hear you've joined the exclusive club. I joined it last summer when I dropped my rig while in Indiana. I think it was about $8,000 in damage. I also have the DB3 hitch. In my case I had done a full tug test just prior to pulling out - still don't know what happened.

I agree with some of the other posters, never leave your rig unattended without a lock on the latch. You never know what person will come along and give the release a tug.

My wife and I passed a truck tonight that had a crushed tailgate. My wife quipped that at least he still had his tailgate (compared to my accident) - I responded that it was untrue, I had my tailgate, I just had it stowed away in my toyhauler's garage, more or less in one piece.