Opened valve on Cyclone 3418 black tank - nothing comes out

chadf

When I went to dump my tanks when I opened the valve for the black tank nothing came out? Is there another valve that is somewhere else that might be closed ?

mlpeloquin

Re: Opened valve on Cyclone black tank - nothing comes out

When I went to dump my tanks when I opened the valve for the black tank nothing came out? Is there another valve that is somewhere else that might be closed ?

Don't have a Cyclone, but one valve per tank. Are you sure the valve has opened? I hope you have one of these Valterra T58 twist on waste valves. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58...ywords=Valterra+3+inch+waste+dump+drain+valve If you do and a gray water tank is also in the same drain, close the external valve and open a full gray water tank valve along with the black tank valve to make back pressure. Then close the gray water tank valve and open the external twist on valve. It should drain. When the tanks are installed and the holes are cut for the drain they do not remove the plastic cut out. Some have found that it can move and block the tank drain. The back pressure pushes it back and allows the black tank to drain. I have had to do this once. I also use Happy Camper tank treatment which work very well. Lets us use Costco brand TP papper without any problems. This can also dislodge a clog by TP. TP sometimes it can be broken up by driving around or use the famous swivel stick/master blaster. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...+swivel+stick&rh=n:15684181,k:rv+swivel+stick

That being said, a toy hauler can have a separate black tank for the rear along with a separate drain. Thus the famous "Y" adapter made famous by Robin Williams in the movie RV. I have seen people connect both main drains together and then to the parks waste pipe. With the external twist on valve you still can apply back pressure the second black tank by way of the "Y" adapter.

chadf

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Black Tank

Which Cyclone do you have?

Do you have a two bath model?
I have the 3418 Cyclone with just the one bath. I hope they didn't leave the plug in !! I am going to take the under belly down this weekend and trace the pipes. Such horrible craftsmanship!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I have the 3418 Cyclone with just the one bath. I hope they didn't leave the plug in !! I am going to take the under belly down this weekend and trace the pipes. Such horrible craftsmanship!!!

Wow that is crazy, nothing came out, not even liquid?

Something is not right, as Heartland I believe fills all tanks and dumps before units leave factory. Dealer should have tested all systems before selling. And you should have got a walk through at the dealer and tested the systems before accepting the unit. Our dealer had all tanks filled with water and we got to pull the dump handles to make sure they did their thing.

Maybe the cable has come loose from the dump valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadf

Wow that is crazy, nothing came out, not even liquid?

Something is not right, as Heartland I believe fills all tanks and dumps before units leave factory. Dealer should have tested all systems before selling. And you should have got a walk through at the dealer and tested the systems before accepting the unit. Our dealer had all tanks filled with water and we got to pull the dump handles to make sure they did their thing.

Maybe the cable has come loose from the dump valve?

Yeah didn't think about testing before I left the dealer but I also drove 17 hour to pick it up. Plus there where so many other issues that day that distracted me. I will figure it out this weekend! My buddy had a hidden valve on his so I was just wondering if there was one on this unit but his is a Motor home. Thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Yeah didn't think about testing before I left the dealer but I also drove 17 hour to pick it up. Plus there where so many other issues that day that distracted me. I will figure it out this weekend! My buddy had a hidden valve on his so I was just wondering if there was one on this unit but his is a Motor home. Thanks

Hopefully it's something simple like the cable. An impact driver works well to take the underbelly down. The valve should be fairly close to where the large black pipe comes out of the belly.

porthole

Retired

You should not have any ‘hidden’ valves.

There is the possibility that when the hole is drilled for the vent pipe that the piece-plug was not removed and fell into the tank.

That piece is just large enough to get caught in the drain valve and completely block it.

One way to try and dislodge it is with a valve on the end of the sewer pipe as suggested in an above post.

avvidclif

My 3418 has 3 handles in the side door. Front to back they are shower/lavatory, black tank, and kitchen. Small handle, large handle, small handle. Large handle is black. If you have a sewer cap with the hose fitting on it hook a hose to it. Open the black valve. Turn on water to the hose. You should hear it running into the tank if you open the commode valve. Be quick with the water supply. If something is blocking the drain the backwards water may open it up. Or shove a hose up the sewer drain with the water running and the black valve open.

If you pull on the black valve handle and there is very little resistance the cable may have come loose. Removing the bottom would be a last resort.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I had an issue last week where I was only able to get a small amount of flow from our stinky slinky. I had screwed our drain elbow into the fitting in the ground. When I unscrewed the elbow I could see standing water(?) in the pipe; don't know if there was a trap that the flow needed to overcome. With the elbow unscrewed and sitting loosely in the sewer pipe the problem was resolved. Apparently there needed to be some venting from the sewer to allow our tank to drain.

mlpeloquin

I had an issue last week where I was only able to get a small amount of flow from our stinky slinky. I had screwed our drain elbow into the fitting in the ground. When I unscrewed the elbow I could see standing water(?) in the pipe; don't know if there was a trap that the flow needed to overcome. With the elbow unscrewed and sitting loosely in the sewer pipe the problem was resolved. Apparently there needed to be some venting from the sewer to allow our tank to drain.

It doesn't seem to make sense. You should have an air vent on each tank to the roof. With the open tank vent no vacuum is created to stop the flow. If the roof vents are open then??? If not, it needs to be opened. I had a wasps nest in my old class C which caused slow flow. I was lucky when I investigated it was a very cold January day. Wasp spray and a house snake fixed the problem.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
It doesn't seem to make sense. You should have an air vent on each tank to the roof. With the open tank vent no vacuum is created to stop the flow. If the roof vents are open then??? If not, it needs to be opened. I had a wasps nest in my old class C which caused slow flow. I was lucky when I investigated it was a very cold January day. Wasp spray and a house snake fixed the problem.
The problem was at the other end of the hose....the sewer wasn't venting adequately to allow the flow.