Opening the Wireless Keypad for battery change

tempus

Hi folks. I have had my 2010 BH 3610RE on the Oregon Coast for a couple weeks (first time out) and am enjoying it tremendously. Two days ago the wireless keypad EA-R0x stopped functioning. Today I tried removing the cover to change the battery. The instruction paper is a photocopy which has no instructions regarding opening the keypad for the "transmitter Battery Replacement" It states only,"The battery can be replaced by removing the screw on the back side of the keypad and opening the enclosure."

My keypad is attached directly next to the door with no obvious way to remove or open it. I have managed to pop off the plastic cover which holds the rubber keypad but under that I only see a computer board (with no screws or obvious way to remove), and am afraid to go farther. I have read all the messages regarding the keypad but can't find anything related to opening it. The Southco site on no instructions that I can find:confused:

If anyone can help I will send a large dose of very good karma your way - thanks:eek:

Wharton

Did you check your circuit breakers and fuses? In our BH #16 on the 12v side was for the door lock.

I didn't realize it had a battery also. That's good info.....................Hope you let us know how to replace it when you find out.

jbeletti

It may not help you today, but here's a link to a better copy of the instructions for the keypad.

Consider calling Heartland Customer Service for more specific help at 877-262-8032.

Jim

ChopperBill

Take a small screw driver and pop off the cover. You can see where there is a seam. Pull out the circuit boars and you can see the battery behind the board. There are a couple of tabs on mine that I bent in to make better contact. If you are looking for a light in your pad it is very dim on mine and can be better seen by shading it with you hand.

tempus

Take a small screw driver and pop off the cover. You can see where there is a seam. Pull out the circuit boars and you can see the battery behind the board. There are a couple of tabs on mine that I bent in to make better contact. If you are looking for a light in your pad it is very dim on mine and can be better seen by shading it with you hand.

Thank you all for your inputs! ChopperBill, you helped me big-time. I had it down to the circuit board and with your instruction I pressed down on the edge of it and it popped off. Now I just need to buy a new battery. Kind of strange that it would be no good after 2 weeks but stranger things have happened - I actually hope that's the problem which will be a much easier fix than if it is something else.

Heartland may want to add some sort of instructions in their manuals on how to change the battery - I have been a computer nut for 20 years but that upside-down circuit board slowed me right down.

Tempus (Tempus Fugit - time flies) member #1600

ChopperBill

Tempus, put a volt meter on that battery. If I remember is should be 3+ volts. Thought mine might be bad cause the lights didnt come of very well. Checked out OK. I couldnt reprogram it and found out my directions were missing a step.

tempus

Thanks all, I just got back from town (Newport, Or) with a new battery and all works well! I had pushed the prongs down without luck, and then checked with a volt meter which barely moved, before heading out.

A hint for future generations of battery changers - the battery goes with the Positive(+) side facing out. The "+" marking is vague, located on the circuit board.

Tempus Fugit
2010 3610RE
350 HD RAM with 6.7 Cummings

ATLJOHN

We also had to replace the battery after 1 month. Then again the battery went dead about 1 month. I contacted Heartland they gave me the contact for Southco the maker of the wireless entry system. They advised me this is a known problem that water gets into the keypad the shortens the life of the battery. They sent me a new keypad that is sealed with instuctions to learn the new keypad to the receiver. I had to again contact heartland to locate where the receiver is located and it is inside the door below the window. I will have to remove the screws around the door window to access but have not completed it yet. They also sent me a envelope to return the old keypad for their further investigation for the more permenant solution.
We really love this keyless entry but with this battery problem we always take the keys with us as backup.

tempus

Things for that information!

The new battery was dead again this morning. My 5th wheel is in storage for a week but then we are heading back over to the coast to pick it up and camp.

It rained most of the last week we were camping - we had 3" in two days, so I bet the "water problem" is identical. I bought 2 batteries in a package so when I go back I'm going to change the battery again, and seal around where the plastic keyboard case snaps together real well. I can only hope it helps as I'd prefer not to have to operate on my door:(

ATLJOHN

Hi tempus
Yes that should work because the person who sent me the new keypad told me that they have siliconned the new one they sent me. So I think if you do that well all should be good. He told me the battery should last about 5 years.